• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has school failed you?

Ayselipera

I don't think I have the right personality for school. Socially I'm fine. I know everyone, get along with everyone, I'm slightly annoyed by everyone, but I'm good at tolerating people. For the most part my teachers have been pretty average. I've had a few teachers who I really don't know how they got their teaching degree, but that's just another life mystery to add to my list!

When it comes to actual school work I slack off a lot. When I'm in school I'll do my work, but once I get home school is a far distant place. So because of that I've never really studied for anything. I just whim everything and for the most part I end up with A's and B's. The only classes I have trouble in is math and now chemistry this year.

As light as I'm making this all sound I really do hate school with a burning passion. I can't help feeling like I'm stuck there just wasting all this extra time where I could be doing something else. So I wouldn't say school failed me or I failed school it's just a mutual fail.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Well I guess like Ayselipera said, it's kind of a mutual fail for me. :/
    I haven't made the most of my "school experience" but due to the design of the system and life in general I really couldn't even if I tried. I'm in junior year, still taking classes I don't like and don't need which also neither like nor need me. xD They're not all bad, but I really can't get past the English teachers I have had as of late, who truly think up reasons to fail the people in the class. (I swear I am not even exaggerating.)

Even though people say "it's the best time of your life you'll really regret it" I mostly hear that from people who seem to hate their job so I'll just take my chances and jump through high school, and hope college is better and hope beyond hopes I'll get a career that doesn't make me feel like I'm "working" at all. :)

Years
  • I'm a senior in High School. I'd say my experience of school would be alright.

I don't completely hate school, but I don't love it. It's kind of like 50/50. My freshman and sophomore years were great, I miss them. My junior year was horrible. This year started off rough, but since it's my last year, I am going to enjoy it no matter what.

Overall, I'd say school hasn't really failed me. I've had my ups and downs, but im not rushing my final year by~

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • School has given me band and hockey. The rest of it was them proving that I knew already all that I needed to know. I've had some ups and downs in my high school career. Being a senior, I can honestly say that it came out the best way it could.​

Years
  • I would say yes, by far, school has failed me.

Don't get me wrong, I graduated, but the only person I have to thank for that is me.
    Okay, maybe not just me, I've always had great relationships with my teachers. I've always more or less been the 'one-eyed man in the land of the blind' or so I've been told. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm still pretty up there. My test scores are some of the highest in every school I've ever went to.

With that in mind I have been known to act out a little in class, but I've always contributed to the overall environment of the classroom.

During my 11th grade year, my school got new management so they made a few changes. I don't know what it was in particular that made them decided this but, they kicked me out of the school. I think it's probably because I've never been particularly to myself about the sort of lifestyle I choose to live.

That is the one thing in that really made me change my views of the way schools are run.

My entire schooling history is composed of these type of stories. I look like a hoodlum and I sound like a hoodlum, so I must be a hoodlum, or at least this is the way that the school system would view me.

I strongly detest public schooling because students are individuals, not numbers.

Years
  • High school never failed me. I never had any issues, not with classes or the work or teachers or fellow students or anything. It wasn't my favorite place in the world, but while I was there, I didn't mind it.

College was great, too, but it was way too expensive and I should've had a better financial plan going in. However, that's not the fault of the school -- that was mine, plain and simple. (Ok, so I wish college was more affordable, but it was a state-run school; I could've gone someone a little less expensive, I'm sure.)

Kurtroll

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I already graduated when I was 16 and a half, so you could say school has given me alot of knowledge.

Socially, I hated almost every person who wasn't my bff

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Has school failed me? My answer would be a big emphatic YES, in font that is too big for this forum. XD

After spending so many years in school, I've come up with a general rule: wash, rinse, repeat. The whole focus of schooling, at least in my case and opinion, is to repeat things enough so that they become second nature. It may work for most, but I've grown to loathe it. Sometimes I blame my photographic memory, but there are so many instances where that just can't be it. I learned my times tables when I was nine, but I was tested on them until I was eleven. I knew English grammar when they taught it to me the first time, but a decade after the fact, my English professor in university is giving us quizzes on it.

For my least favourite example, two years ago I took a 2nd year university Statistics class I needed for my degree. It was ~$500, and completely not worth it. During one class, we 'learned' the process of calculating averages, via adding all the totals together, and dividing by the number of numbers. I was so frustrated I got up and walked out of the class, before they could contine with the examples. ¬_¬

I don't know if they just expect us to forget what we learned in grade five or what, but I stopped seeing the worth in post-secondary education. On average, people don't seem to go to college to learn; they go there to get a job. If you're in the latter group, great, college may be for you. I'm in the former group, however, and therefore school has failed me.

skyguard

Artist
    Years
  • I enjoyed my school. It hasn't failed me, but there are some glaring errors in certain systems, like the no tolerance rule, it dictates that there is absolutely no admittance of illegal substances, which makes sense, but also doesn't allow touching. To prevent fighting right? Well that includes getting a detention for hugging, pats on the back, high fiving, and other completely innocent gestures. Also, coming from my point of view, teachers and staff didn't really care about the actual state of the students' knowledge, as much as their paycheck. Sure, there are some exceptions, but I think, although I have so far gotten through fine, there are some who haven't been treated so well.

Persephoni

A.K.A ~Sierra-Bella~
    Years
  • I loved my school, and I never really failed. but I didnt get a high enough score to get into Uni... :( Im currently going through some personal issues so Im not studying or working currently

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • School has opened my eyes to a variety of things. But as a whole, my school and algebra teachers just plain suck. I have a hard time with algebra and I always have to relearn it in my next math class (geometry, pre-cal)

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I had never liked school. The teachers just didnt care about the students at all and were extremely strict on uniform. I also find that the history/geography teachers were incredibly bias and hateful toward the British. The worst part is probably the way they treated sports, no matter how smart or artistic you were, if you were not good at sports then you were a nobody.

Back