• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has the anime ever got you confused in the games?

Years
  • -As title says, has it? It could be in any way. For example, it confused me in Emerald in that:

-I couldn't find Treecko in Petalburg Woods
    -My character was dressed in Green, not Red.
    -May was in green too.
    -Brock wasn't in it!

But then I got more stuck at Slateport so I got used to it :P

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I think it was more the other way around for me, the anime bugged me when it didn't mesh with the games. :P "That's not what that attack does!," etc. Most significantly, the whole ghosts vs. Sabrina thing. I wonder how many Haunters had to die in the game because of that storyline. ><

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • When I was a kid, it confused me that Togepi wasn't available in Pokemon Blue D:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • >"Ghosts are powerful against Psychics"
    >Ghost moves have no effect on Psychics
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Years
  • This is going to be a dumb question, since I have been a fan for so long, but is the game based off the show? Or the other way around?

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • I read somewhere that the TV show came after the games, but don't quote me on that :P

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    No not really. I say I've been more annoyed with some things they've done in the anime more than it be confusing. Imagine if the games were as long as the animes ran....I'd still be playing Emerald I bet :D.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    The games did well enough on their own to confuse me about the games though. WHY are there so many trainers with lv. 16 Raticates in R/B/Y? It's not just Gary, in Yellow there's the trainer just outside Vermillion. What's in the water that makes these things evolve 4 levels early?

Years
  • They had me confused in my old Red version. :P I thought that the starter pokemon could be found in the wild, just like the anime. So i picked Charmander, and went searching for the others in the wild, only to end up with nothing. I remember those hours I spent on the searching every day... >.<

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I think it was more the other way around for me, the anime bugged me when it didn't mesh with the games. :P "That's not what that attack does!," etc. Most significantly, the whole ghosts vs. Sabrina thing. I wonder how many Haunters had to die in the game because of that storyline. ><

pretty much this.

I had beaten my original Blue version (and was in fact on my second playthrough) before I even knew there was a Pokemon anime. XD

Oh, and for the guy that asked whether the games or anime came first, it's decidedly the games.

Red and Green/Red and Blue
    JPN release: Feb. 27, 1996
    US Release: Sept. 1, 1998

first season anime
    JPN premier: Apr. 1, 1997
    US premier: Sept. 7, 1998

The window between the games release and anime premier is a lot smaller in the west than in Japan and by the time Pokemon reached the peak of its fad in America, both media had been around for about a year, causing this ongoing confusion

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Yeah, it confused me back in the day. I mean, Ash beat Brock's Onyx with a Pikachu! I simply tried the same...

Omg yes ! And I don't exactly remember the episode, but I think there were a Kingler or Krabby that used Bubblebeam on Ash's bulbasaur, and KO'ed it ">_>
    And in a episode where Gary was fighting a little boy with his Umbreon, the boy's Alakazam used more than four moves P: I wish we could have the possibility to use more than four moves in the games x)

Years
  • pretty much this.

I had beaten my original Blue version (and was in fact on my second playthrough) before I even knew there was a Pokemon anime. XD

Oh, and for the guy that asked whether the games or anime came first, it's decidedly the games.

Red and Green/Red and Blue
    JPN release: Feb. 27, 1996
    US Release: Sept. 1, 1998

first season anime
    JPN premier: Apr. 1, 1997
    US premier: Sept. 7, 1998

The window between the games release and anime premier is a lot smaller in the west than in Japan and by the time Pokemon reached the peak of its fad in America, both media had been around for about a year, causing this ongoing confusion
    Ah, thank you so much. I appreciate it.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • Yes definitely.
    I was watching an old episode yesterday. It was the episode where Ash gets his Earth Badge.
    First, Gary pulls up (in what is most likely 1 of the 3 or so cars in Kanto) and announces that he has 10 badges. WTF?!? Where are these other two gyms at?
    And none of his 10 badges were the Earth Badge. So that makes three mystery gyms.

Second, Gary challenged Giovanni for the badge.
    It was Giovanni's Golem vs Gary's Nidoking.
    Golem used tackle. Nidoking used tackle also.
    Golem fainted.
    Since when will a tackle OHKO a Golem???
    I recently started a new file on Pokemon Blue, and because of this, my main pokemon is a Nidoking...that knows tackle.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • yeah Ghost Pokemon Are stronger then psychic pokemon Ok there WTF that about? in Gen one there was like one Ghost attack and it was nightshade

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • yeah Ghost Pokemon Are stronger then psychic pokemon Ok there WTF that about? in Gen one there was like one Ghost attack and it was nightshade

There was also Lick, which is so weak it's not even worth mentioning. It's not like it helped anyways. Due to a programming error, Lick doesn't affect psychic-type pokemon in GenI. Not to mention that the only ghosts back then were also half-poison type...meaning that taking any psychic attack will wreck them.

Ayselipera

Back when I played Yellow and GSC I was very confused. I thought Misty and Brock would accompany me on the way and when they didn't I got a little sad. When I started playing GSC I was beyond lost. When I was little I didn't distinguish Kanto from Johto. The whole time I was searching for Charmander, Squitle, and Bulbasaur. It took me a while to realize that they were only accessible in Red, Blue, (Green) and Yellow.

Back