• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has the anime skipped over some of your favorite Pokemons?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    I use to watch the show religiously about 13-15 years ago because I always hoped to see one of my favorite pokemons and one I found the most fascinating, Porygon. Well he USE to be my favorite Pokemon, not only didn't I see him in an episode, I spent like $10 to go see the first feature film in 1999 or 2000 or so, and they skipped over him in that one. Not even so much as a cameo. I was really curious as to what the story behind that Poke'mon because he was far different from all the rest.

I spent 3 seasons looking for him, and he wouldn't even make a cameo appearance.

I really felt there was a lot for the writers to work with, with that particular pokemon, but nope, nothing ever came of it.

I got out of the poke'mon scene shortly thereafter, in part because I grew out of it, but also in part because the anime seemed to use a lot of similar formulas for how to create an episode of the series. I felt it became more of a Soap Opera in an Anime/RPG format, and just wasn't my kind of TV show (I know this is for enthusiasts of the Anime, and I respect people who have kept up on the show all these years and would never disparage someones personal tastes over mine)

I gave up after nearly 3 years of watching the show every weekday and every Saturday morning to not see him so much as mentioned or in a background shot, and haven't watched it since. I guess the Johto league was beyond my scope, but when they weren't doing episodes on even the most obvious of choices for interesting poke'mon like Porygon, and had already started moving onto the next generation of poke'mon (for games I didn't own, my Poke'mon game buying ended with Red and Blue, not even Yellow) that was when I quit watching the show.

So how about you, anime ever skipped over some of your favorite poke'mon?

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Do you know the reason why Porygon and its evolutions have not appeared in the anime? Here is why they have not. In the episode where Porygon made its debut, flashing lights in that episode caused over 600 Japanese children to have seizures. Porygon became a scapegoat because of it. Also the episode in question, has been banned worldwide. As for the answer to the question of this topic, I don't think the anime has skipped over any of my favorite Pokemon.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I use to watch the show religiously about 13-15 years ago because I always hoped to see one of my favorite pokemons and one I found the most fascinating, Porygon. Well he USE to be my favorite Pokemon, not only didn't I see him in an episode, I spent like $10 to go see the first feature film in 1999 or 2000 or so, and they skipped over him in that one. Not even so much as a cameo. I was really curious as to what the story behind that Poke'mon because he was far different from all the rest.

I spent 3 seasons looking for him, and he wouldn't even make a cameo appearance.

I really felt there was a lot for the writers to work with, with that particular pokemon, but nope, nothing ever came of it.

I got out of the poke'mon scene shortly thereafter, in part because I grew out of it, but also in part because the anime seemed to use a lot of similar formulas for how to create an episode of the series. I felt it became more of a Soap Opera in an Anime/RPG format, and just wasn't my kind of TV show (I know this is for enthusiasts of the Anime, and I respect people who have kept up on the show all these years and would never disparage someones personal tastes over mine)

I gave up after nearly 3 years of watching the show every weekday and every Saturday morning to not see him so much as mentioned or in a background shot, and haven't watched it since. I guess the Johto league was beyond my scope, but when they weren't doing episodes on even the most obvious of choices for interesting poke'mon like Porygon, and had already started moving onto the next generation of poke'mon (for games I didn't own, my Poke'mon game buying ended with Red and Blue, not even Yellow) that was when I quit watching the show.

So how about you, anime ever skipped over some of your favorite poke'mon?

Google "Electric Soldier Porygon". :P

As for the topic, I don't believe we've seen the two new Unown forms (? and !). Other than that, the rest of the Pokemon in some way have made an appearance.

( Also, if you wanna get technical, Porygon did show up briefly in that Season 1 episode with the hospital and the doctor. Its evolutions cameo'd in the Kyurem movie. xD )

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Do you know the reason why Porygon and its evolutions have not appeared in the anime? Here is why they have not. In the episode where Porygon made its debut, flashing lights in that episode caused over 600 Japanese children to have seizures. Porygon became a scapegoat because of it. Also the episode in question, has been banned worldwide. As for the answer to the question of this topic, I don't think the anime has skipped over any of my favorite Pokemon.
    Since the Japanese release was made and you can still find it, it's not really "worldwide".

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • No It never did, I had the luck all my favorite pokemon where for some secónds in the show.
    But not all of them in the way I whas hoping for.
    Sneasel for Example , or Sandslash U only saw them getting pewnd :(

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • I guess at least I'm satisfied Samurott is in the anime (even though it has a rly small role ._.) ^^
    Well, dat Porygon episode nearly blinded me. It was a bit too...visual ^^

Years
  • The Porygon family has gone untouched since the seizure incident.

And it seems likely the Porygon line will never show up due to said incident which caused the episode to be banned worldwide never to air again. If they do appear in a future episode, it'll bring back bad memories for the Japanese viewers. That's why they're making Porygon's line non-existent in the anime.

As for any faves of mine that got screwed, I don't really have a definite answer here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hmm, let's see... Slakoth did make appearances in the anime before, but personally, I think it would have been pretty cool if one of them accompanied Ash for a season or two. I find it to be a pretty interesting Pokémon, and could imagine it giving us some great moments. :]

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • I stopped watching the show since early AG (some time after the Ralts and Mawile episodes, my only "commitments"), and I believe the Jirachi movie was the last one I've seen. Since then, I've only seen the Wailmer is stuck in a sewer episode, and now the XY series starting with the first episode.

Having said that, someone clue me in. Have they EVER made a proper Rattata and Raticate episode yet? They literally had since the first episode to make it happen. I know Pidgey got two, one of them being something like "Fly Me to the Moon", and even then it didn't get its dues until mid Johto or so. Has Rattata always been pigeonholed into the role of "generic crowd filler" even in regions where you can't get them in-game? Is Raticate always cannon fodder with 5 seconds of screen time?

Fly Me to the Moon was adorable. Why the heck didn't they give Rattata something like that? And if they have, please tell me, because I need to watch this episode immediately.

Frankly, I'm STILL waiting for a proper Nidorin@ episode and a Nidoqueen and Nidoking episode. I'm grateful for Wherefore Art Thou, Pokémon, at least both Nidoran got one. The final stages are always "generic bulky Pokémon" whether antagonistic or neutral, and the mid stages are usually cannon fodder. I don't count The Heartbreak of Brock, because unlike Pokémon centered episodes, episodes that tend to focus on human characters give the COTD's Pokémon blank slate personalities that could be replaced with any Pokémon, or a stuffed animal in that regard. Also, Nidorina was only in it for a grand total of like 20 seconds, and Nidorino probably 8. Goddangit, TPC.

I'm hoping with Nidos being legitimately catchable mid-early on in XY, the non-Nidorans of the family will finally get something better. Maybe. Considering Japan couldn't care less for 'em, my hopes aren't high. BUT... Rhyhorn finally got a real episode in the Rhyhorn Race episode that aired not too long ago. If they're going to play extremely-late-to-the-point-that-no-one-cares-anymore catch up with an old gen one'r like Rhyhorn, there's hope yet.

And for the record, the Rhyhorn in the race episode were cute, which is just how I like it.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I stopped watching halfway through AG, and now only watch the movies and the very occasional special. My two favorites are Sylveon and Skitty, and while I'm content with (what I've seen of) Sylveon's portrayal so far, I feel like May's Skitty wasn't a very pleasing character to watch. She didn't seem to have a lot of personality besides "team ditz", and then she was ditched for almost all of Kanto. Very disappointing.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2014
    Do you know the reason why Porygon and its evolutions have not appeared in the anime? Here is why they have not. In the episode where Porygon made its debut, flashing lights in that episode caused over 600 Japanese children to have seizures. Porygon became a scapegoat because of it. Also the episode in question, has been banned worldwide. As for the answer to the question of this topic, I don't think the anime has skipped over any of my favorite Pokemon.
    I read about this and apparently it was Pikachu who caused the incident.

From Bulbapedia:

This episode caused more than 600 children in Japan to be transferred to hospitals by ambulance because of seizure-like symptoms they reported, due to a flashing strobe effect, and was therefore banned and never aired again anywhere in the world. Since then, Porygon and its evolutions have never played a main role in another episode, despite the fact that it was actually Pikachu who caused the strobe effect which gave children seizures.

Back