• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Has your starter choice changed?

Years
  • Now that many of us know the evolutions, it's not unreasonable to think certain people decided to get a different starter to the one they originally wanted. Are you one of those people? Were you satisfied with the evolution of your original starter choice?

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    I flip flopped a lot, originally I thought I was going to get either sobble or grookey, then the evos leaked and I was leaning towards either grookey or scorbunny. In the end though, since I got the preorder from the pokemoncenter I got the scorbunny keychain so I chose it as my starter.

Years
  • Not really. I'd decided to go Water-type for the first time ever, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

When the leaking began, I did really like Thwackey and Rillaboom, while still images didn't do Inteleon justice, so I was a little tempted until I understood all the cool spy-themed references it had, at which point I was sold.

Years
    • Seen today
    I was leaning towards Sobble, but had Scorbunny as my second choice. With the leaks being real, I've decided to pick Sobble as my starter. Once again, my first choice wins in the end.

(By the way, I'll hopefully be getting Pokemon Sword tomorrow.)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Originally Sobble and still Sobble in Sword, but I decided to go for Grookey for a change in my Shield.

Years
  • I'm very much happy with Grookey (Rillaboom). It was the only thing that was "spoilt" for me, but I wanted to know what the starters final evolution where, everything else I wanted to be as much as a surprise as possible.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I had a slight preference for Sobble, but wasn't set on it or anything. After seeing evolutions... it was Scorbunny for me.

Years
  • I wanted to pick Grookey but I was in desperate need of a special attacker for my team so I ended up picking Sobble. I'm happy with it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2022
    I somehow managed to remain spoiler-free when it came to the starter evos. I knew I was gonna pick Grookey since the first trailer though, and I wasn't disappointed!

Honestly all the second stage 'mons are so cool, when Grookey first evolved I was freaking out haha

MajorPlays

Casual PokeTuber
    Years
  • Opposite here lol. Was gonna pick Scorbunny for a twist (I usually go Grass) but didn't like the other evos so I went Grookey instead. Maybe just fate.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I am supremely disappointed by Scorbunny's final evolution. It just doesn't look like a Pokemon, animate like a Pokemon (more like a human with a costume on).

The water and grass ones aren't as bad. I actually like watching the final evolution of Sobble animate for attacking (but have similar views of it being too tall, lanky, and human-looking).

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • Since we're doing this as a pretty blind Let's Play (though I did look at leaked Pokemon, my wife didn't), I tried super hard to plan what I COULD for this game so that, even if we didn't know where the game was going, we could give it enough structure to make sure it'd be entertaining. And so I wanted to get a Sobble and name him James Pond! There's SO much to play with there! BUT... at the last second... my wife needed the cute bunny. So... it changed from Sobble to Scorbunny, last second.

Years
  • I originally wanted Grookey. Then changed my mind to Scorbunny for a while. Then back to Grookey who I picked in the end. But thanks to ordering the Dual Pack, being able to start a new game several times on Shield, and trading with a pal I now have all three on my team. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Sobble was never an option for me- it was my least favourite base form. But I was an unwavering member of the Grookey Gang until I saw rillaboom, and... well, I guess I decided I'd just have to get used to cinderace's tiny paws. Now, cinderace is one of my favourite Galarmons- pyro ball is an insane signature move.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Wanted Sobble and picked Sobble when I picked up a used copy of Sword. It helps that I prefer Inteleon over Rillaboom and Cinderace.

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years
  • I'm not really a fan of the starts this generation, I was originally going to go with Sobble but I chose Grookey instead, after seeing there final evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    I was originally going to pick Sobble until I saw it's final evolution, so I chose Grookey instead.

Back