• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Have the odds changed?

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
  • Surprised there wasn't a thread about this already xD
    So introduced in XY, finding shiny pokémon has become a lot easier. Gamefreak has introduced consecutive fishing, and has reintroduced chaining.
    But is this the only factor introduced in shiny hunting?
    There has been a lot of speculation whether the odds have indeed changed.
    Suddenly, there seem to be more people who have found a shiny and in my experience, the odds may very likely have changed.
    But, of course, this is only speculation!
    So what do you think? Have the odds changed? Or have they not?
    Speculate!

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I've read something about the odds being halved, like ~1/4400. But do note that I've read it on 4chan without any sources that could confirm that. If it really was like this, using the Masuda Method would make the rate laughable. I've been playing for 40 hours and haven't seen a single shiny. Perhaps I'm just that unlucky.

<never seen/caught a shiny that isn't event in the 14 years of playing Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2014
    I think they have changed. Already have seen a total of 8 shiny pokemon. Sneasel and sunkern (friends safari) poliwhirl, relicanth, and chinchou (fishing) spinda, tentacool, and geodude (wild). Was able to catch all but geodude.......it was one part of a horde and they used Magnitude......other geodudes killed my shiny. Still think about him till this day. But I think the chances are better if you fish. Have a pokemon leading with suction cups and if you fish near rocks that sorround you....found all three in one day.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
  • The other shiny threads do cover the new odds. But the odds only changed in the friend safari and no where else. Chaining is the same and chain fishing is new.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I haven't seen a single shiny and I have been playing for a very long time. I honestly don't know if that is true, although I hope it is.

Years
  • I don't think the rates of finding a shiny in the wild has increased although I have no proof of this but I think gamefreak have introduced easier methods to catch shinys through methods such as chains, masuda and friend safari.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    I do believe that the odds have changed. I've found six shiny Pokemon so far. Three from random encounters, one from a horde, and two from doing the Masuda Method (and both of those I got in at least under twenty eggs). In previous games I've only found two shiny Pokemon through random encounters (one from LeafGreen and another from Diamond), and I have a few shiny legendaries from soft resetting for hours on end. It would nice to know how much the odds have changed, though!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I believe the rates are the same for normal random encounters. I just think since IV breeding has become so much easier, people can focus a bit more on breeding shinies with the Masuda Method.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    I believe the rates are the same for normal random encounters. I just think since IV breeding has become so much easier, people can focus a bit more on breeding shinies with the Masuda Method.

I wanna try doing that sometime! However I have a fear that I'll breed a shiny that ends up not having perfect IVs, which makes me shy away from doing it. xD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've read something about the odds being halved, like ~1/4400. But do note that I've read it on 4chan without any sources that could confirm that. If it really was like this, using the Masuda Method would make the rate laughable. I've been playing for 40 hours and haven't seen a single shiny. Perhaps I'm just that unlucky.

<never seen/caught a shiny that isn't event in the 14 years of playing Pokemon

Don't feel too bad, I've only ever encountered one random wild Shiny Pokemon... and that was in White 2... and I too have been playing for as long as you.

I haven't been actively searching though, and when it comes to Shiny Hunting... that's not my field of expertise lol.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've read on various websites that shinies are less common now. I don't know if I should believe them or not, but I'm leaning more towards believing them. In previous gens, I used to encounter one shiny Pokémon every two - three. This gen, though, I've met up with two shinies only within the first month. One shiny was at Route 22, and the other was from Route 5, I think. I wasn't able to capture the first one, unfortunately, as I accidentally made it faint. Caught the second one, though!

Years
  • I've read on various websites that shinies are less common now. I don't know if I should believe them or not, but I'm leaning more towards believing them. In previous gens, I used to encounter one shiny Pokémon every two - three. This gen, though, I've met up with two shinies only within the first month. One shiny was at Route 22, and the other was from Route 5, I think. I wasn't able to capture the first one, unfortunately, as I accidentally made it faint. Caught the second one, though!

Shouldn't you say more common?

I think that shiny rates have been halved throughout, though I'm not sure if there is a confirmation on it. Then there's chain shiny, hordes, and friend safari (I got one shiny from just 30 mins of serious hunting), so I'd say it's definitely more common than it was.

Years
  • I must have the worst luck in the world, I have been playing pokemon since Silver/Gold on GBC and never once have I crossed paths with a shiny! With everyone sharing their story about getting several shinys in a matter of hours, I would have thought that the odds indeed have changed.

Years
  • They certainlly have changed. I've found a shiny Poliwhirl within only 10 hours of playing. I've played for around 60-70 hours now but no more shinies. Guess after 8 years of waiting one finally appears. Back to the drawing board...

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2014
    I must have the worst luck in the world, I have been playing pokemon since Silver/Gold on GBC and never once have I crossed paths with a shiny! With everyone sharing their story about getting several shinys in a matter of hours, I would have thought that the odds indeed have changed.

Don't feel bad, I haven't encountered a shiny at all either T.T

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I recall the shiny odds going from 1/8192 to 1/4096 this gen being confirmed. Smogon found out how to hatch shinies. Masuda method may be 6/4096 this gen if memory serves me right.

Friend safari isn't special; you're just encountering the same few Pokemon and over time, you may find your shiny.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Whether the odds have changed or not, I have the absolute worst luck as I haven't come across a single shiny yet. Not through the Masuda Method, Chain Fishing, Friend Safari, or even a random encounter. /sadface

Back