• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have they ran out of ideas for Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Banned
Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I think so.. Like come on, Trubbish, i think i have said enough with that.. It's a ****ing rubbish bag!
    And Gurdurr is one of the many characters that look like they're from Looney Toons..
    So.. what's everyone else's opinion?
    I mean, some of the new Pokémon are really cool, but some of them are such a flop.. D:

Years
  • The funny thing is, the exact same thread popped up when D/P came out.

Look. There are tons of animals and fish we haven't seen in the world yet, and they sure as hell haven't used some of the coolest (Where's my Tyrannosaurus/Triceratops Fossils, Gamefreak?!), such as dolphins, ORCAS (Kyogre isn't an Orca. Orca based, but not an Orca), COLOSSAL SQUIDS, etc. I could go on on how many they've missed.

So, they're not running out of ideas. Names, they kind of are, but at the same time aren't. They obviously used German words in the Hydreigon line.

So in the end, Gamefreak isn't missing out on anything. And come on, they have to put in some filler Pokemon, to make the other ones look great and we can't have a lot of cool ones.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • ...Trubbish are awesome ;~;

I think they will continue to make more and more Pokemon until the anime is finished or they think that they come up with another idea.

And yeah, nearly all of them look cool.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This looks like a thread more suitable for Pokémon General, so I'll go ahead and move it over there.

To be honest, I actually like the Pokémon now that they've grown to me. It's not really a bother since the majority of them all actually have a purpose whether that being competitively or in design, etc. I think the Pokémon are actually starting to serve more purpose, but that's just me.

Ciaran

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    The funny thing is, the exact same thread popped up when D/P came out.

Look. There are tons of animals and fish we haven't seen in the world yet, and they sure as hell haven't used some of the coolest (Where's my Tyrannosaurus/Triceratops Fossils, Gamefreak?!), such as dolphins, ORCAS (Kyogre isn't an Orca. Orca based, but not an Orca), COLOSSAL SQUIDS, etc. I could go on on how many they've missed.

So, they're not running out of ideas. Names, they kind of are, but at the same time aren't. They obviously used German words in the Hydreigon line.

So in the end, Gamefreak isn't missing out on anything. And come on, they have to put in some filler Pokemon, to make the other ones look great and we can't have a lot of cool ones.

I suppose your right there.. didn't think about it like that!
    Thanks!

...Trubbish are awesome ;~;

I think they will continue to make more and more Pokemon until the anime is finished or they think that they come up with another idea.

And yeah, nearly all of them look cool.

Trubbish are in no way awesome! xD

Last edited:

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • They aren't running out of ideas for Pokemon. There are a lot of animals they haven't used yet. But they're moving towards household objects, humans, and technology Pokemon. For example, Gear, Conkeldurr, Garbodor, and Vanillite.
    Gear is more technology, Conkeldurr is more of a human-like thing, and Garbodor and Vanillite are more of something related to humans.

sg3360

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Trubbish and Vanilite are just... no words can describe how much they disappoint me :L
    I like the other pokémon, like Gurdurr and that, I liked how they didnt bring in the previous generation pokemon til after the league in these games

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah all these new
    Pokémon are so bad, it's
    clear that Game Freak
    have run out of ideas when
    designing new Pokémon.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • ^that made me laugh :D

I think the 5th gen pokemon are great sure there are some disappointments (Trubbish is not one of them) and before you go bashing Trubbish look at this
    I'd prefer Trubbish over Grimer any day at least Trubbish has all his business in a bag.

Plus he's adorable.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I love the household item trend. I love the thought that somewhere in the Pokémon world, there's a Vanillite hanging from an unsuspecting person's house (Pokedex: This Pokémon formed from icicles bathed in energy from the morning sun), waiting to surprise them when they go outside to brush the snow off of their car.

Also, so many people hailed the movement to a more human-centric world with the technology and cities, but not with the Pokemon, which bothers me. Of course there are more Pokemon based on human inventions, that's because the world is more technologically advanced, and Pokemon have taken that step forward with humans. That's what the Professor is studying, how these new Pokemon come about, especially the ones based on things like bags of trash and gears. I can imagine it's just like the issues in the real world today: would new Pokemon have been created no matter what, or are we causing it to happen? Is it a good thing for the world, or something we should work to reverse?

I think they put a lot more thought into Pokemon not based on animals than ones that are, it's just harder to tell because you're blinded by the fact that it doesn't conform to your standards of what Pokemon "should" be.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Look, I don't understand all the Trubbish and Garbodor hate. First of all, Grimer and Muk- remember them? And there's definitely some more thought that was put into the newer guys in this case than the older ones. Second, show me the rule that says every Pokemon has to be the cutest thing ever.

Third, this picture.
    https://pettyartist.deviantart.com/art/Garbodor-Someone-Special-200991002

If that doesn't make you feel even a little bit of sympathy then there's something horribly wrong with you.

And seriously, look at some of the concepts from this generation. We got a sentai hero, a humongous mecha/golem, a Nazca line bird, the Three Musketeers (plus d'Artagnan), a daruma ape, and a sun-god moth, amongst others.

Yet you have the gall to call this unoriginal??

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
    Years
  • The pokemon are ok, I guess. I hate the names though. I mean Boldore, really? and what about Throh. Oh and I hate vinilish or whatever it is called. It is a freaking ice cream cone. I know its not what people expect, but its just weird, and I hate it for how uncreative it is.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Third, this picture.
    https://pettyartist.deviantart.com/art/Garbodor-Someone-Special-200991002

If that doesn't make you feel even a little bit of sympathy then there's something horribly wrong with you.

This made me want to raise a Garbodor. I don't raise Poison Pokemon at all, but it made me SO SAD.

yudodis.jpg

Edit:

The pokemon are ok, I guess. I hate the names though. I mean Boldore, really? and what about Throh. Oh and I hate vinilish or whatever it is called. It is a freaking ice cream cone. I know its not what people expect, but its just weird, and I hate it for how uncreative it is.

Opinion without reading thread, nice. I really feel like something that looks exactly like a deer is less creative than something that's an anthropomorphic representation of something that you wouldn't expect to have a Pokemon attached to it. Why are Pokemon such as the Purrloin and Lillipup chains not accused of being uncreative, but everything that people aren't used to are?

I have to agree on most of the names though. There are some that are creative and well thought out - Purrloin (read their Pokedex entry, they purloin things), Ferrothorn (Ferro- for the metal part, -thorn for the grass), Alomomola (based on the mola mola, the sunfish), and some others, but many are just so out there that I can't stand them.

Last edited:

Ciaran

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I am not impressed with the ice creams;...

Yeah i was kinda freaked out by them.. but they're pretty strong.

^that made me laugh :D

I think the 5th gen pokemon are great sure there are some disappointments (Trubbish is not one of them) and before you go bashing Trubbish look at this I'd prefer Trubbish over Grimer any day at least Trubbish has all his business in a bag.

Plus he's adorable.

Trubbish may be cute but he's still stupid, but Grimer is awesome too!

Look, I don't understand all the Trubbish and Garbodor hate. First of all, Grimer and Muk- remember them? And there's definitely some more thought that was put into the newer guys in this case than the older ones. Second, show me the rule that says every Pokemon has to be the cutest thing ever.

Third, this picture.

And seriously, look at some of the concepts from this generation. We got a sentai hero, a humongous mecha/golem, a Nazca line bird, the Three Musketeers (plus d'Artagnan), a daruma ape, and a sun-god moth, amongst others.

Yet you have the gall to call this unoriginal??
    first, i didn't call them unoriginal, i said they looked similar to Looney Toon characters, and that was Gurdur,
    second, i didn't say a pokemon had to be "the cutest thing ever" anywhere
    third: yes that photo is sad, pretty sad, but i still think the pokemon is stupid.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back