• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

have we forgotten about the rest? (legendary topic)

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • It seems that in Pokémon, all the legendaries get all the attention. I am guilty of this too.... a lot of my mind is focused on legendaries... why do you think this is so? have we forgotten all about the rest? legendary Pokémon always seem to be the most popular Pokémon... what about Pokémon such as sigilyph and Xatu or even Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium..... where has those Pokémon gone? it like this apparently "if you aren't a legendary, you are a reject" even on Facebook, you get thousands of legendary Pokémon you can add as a friend, Sigilyph didn't have a single one until I stepped in! why is it legendaries get all the attention?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, the reason Legendaries get all the attention is because they're LEGENDARIES. The name even puts them above the rest. I mean, why worry about a fire lizard when you have something that can bend time and space?

That being said, most people don't use their Legendaries to battle and have them more as trophies, while they EV train the crap out of their other Pokemon.

So it kinda depends on the situation I think.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I think people see Legendaries as trophies, something to boast about. Personally I see them as the same as all of the other Pokémon, because I don't use Legendaries in my team so I don't care about their abilities. (Plus the fact you can catch them puts a dent in their legendary prowess. XD)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've always felt the opposite, to be honest. I tend not to think of the legendaries (at one point, I forgot the names of the Gen II Dogs, I cared that little for them) whenever I reminisce about any gaming experiences. Part of the reason is that I never really use them: if I have to capture one, I'll box it straight away; if I don't have to capture one, I'll normally make it faint.

As for other people's opinions, it makes sense, given that the gaming mascots are easily recognisable, they have quite distinctive designs, and are really powerful. It makes sense that they're remembered and poor Sunflora isn't. (I don't actually like Sunflora, it's just the least memorable critter that I can actually remember!)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Even though I'm not guilty of forgetting about the rest of the Pokemon in favor of legendaries, it does make sense to an extent because legendaries have high stats and some have wide move pools to take advantage of those stats.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm actually more focused on the less reputable Pokémon, albeit the legendaries are cool but I much prefere the... non-legendaries.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The answer lies on their name itself. However, I've noticed that these legendary Pokemon are very popular with those people who are not knowledgeable enough in what can beat what. That crowd thinks that a legendary Pokemon can defeat every other Pokemon, besides from other legendary Pokemon.

I myself use legendary Pokemon, and I am not ashamed of it. There's no reason to be ashamed of it. You're just using something that you want to use and if other people dislike you because of that then you should just ignore them. They're pretty much guilty of doing the same anyways.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Prefer Legends over Regular pokemon? Hell no!

I catch Legendary Pokemon just to say, "Hey guys I caught that one Legendary Pokemon." Do you know what happens to all my Legendary Pokemon after I catch them? They sit in my PC gathering dust and cob webs. It may sound mean, but I just could care less about Legendary Pokemon.

For me the best pokemon are easily just the Pokemon that work the most efficiently in my teams. whether competitive or just my in game team. I also have this weird attraction to very unpopular pokemon. I love hearing people say, "Oh yeah, [Insert Pokemon name here.] has got to be the weakest/worst pokemon of this generation!" Then when I hear stuff like that I make it a mission to research that pokemon, and find a way to make it as useful as possible and build it competitively. Then I love battling people with it and make the preson embarrassed when they have to say, "Damn... I just got my butt kicked by a Mawile/Dunsparce/Castform/Luvdisc."
    Hearing those words makes my heart warm. lol

Overall for me, Legendary pokemon sit in my PC and rot away while the pokemon made fun of and ignored get trained into unstoppable beasts.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Ledendaries are stronger and rarer and therefore ppl prefer them over the rest but I personally like the non legendaries more because they're smaller and cuter (overall)

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • While some legendaries DO look amazing (here's to you Mewtwo, Groudon, Rayqaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Giratina, Reshiram, and Zekrom!), I prefer the non-legendaries myself thanks. It is amazing when you beat your friend's level 100 Kyogre raised by Rare Candies alone with a level 80 Venusaur raised by EVs and proper training. :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I used to put a lot of emphasis on the Legendary Pokemon, but that was before they started making nearly as many Legendaries as there are normal Pokemon. In the end there were too many of them and it spoiled the novelty of it, so I stopped caring so much about them. They're cool, but they're less special now.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 9, 2019
    To me it seems like the legendaries receive a lot of hate just for being legendary. They get this rap for being cheap, but using Tyranitar, Dragonite and the like is just fine, even though they have higher base stats than a lot of legendaries.

My personal point of view is that when I play, I try to build a diverse team of favorites. By that I mean that I like to pick my six absolute favorites, unless two of them happen to share a similar typing, such as two fire types. When that arises, I just pick which of that type is my favorite. I then modify my team as each generation is released, if any new ones make the cut as a favorite. I respect the Competitive side of the game and community, and even try to incorporate some movesets into my team, but ultimately, I play with my favorites.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel like it is more the other direction, that people forget legendaries because they're legendaries. I don't use them in-game at all because I feel like they're just too strong and it makes the game unfun, and most people try not to choose a legendary pokemon as their favorite because it's way too mainstream, because we're all secretly Pokemon hipsters.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Meh, I don't use Legendaries. Sometimes I force myself to catch one, just so that I don't regret it later.

I care a lot more about the old standard Pokemon. The non-legendary Pokemon may receive less attention because they're just easily forgettable, and I'm talking about specifics here.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • The only Legendary I ever caught was Raikou, and only because it is the most awesome lightning pokemon besides pikachu, don't mess with pikachu :D But seriously, if I do catch a legendary it's only to complete the dex, other than that I could care less, My favs are in my siggy :)

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I prefer not legendary, but still rare Pokémon. Legendaries are the Tenth Doctor of Pokémon. Awesome, but they wouldn't be as awesome if it wasn't for the rest.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I don't like using legendary Poke's whenever I play a game, I actually find it unfair myself.

BaileyPlaysPokemon

YouTube Vid maker, Gen I lover
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    I think that the idea of legendaires started to get too confusing for me starting with gen III. there just became SO MANY that i started to loose track. and then you have pokemon like phione, that is kinda-sorta (but not really) a legendary?

idk, maybe it's just me, but I feel like lengendaries have become so over-saturated that the reason they are probably so popular is that there is a legendary for everyone.no matter which type, size, generation, etc. that you prefer, there is probably a legendary for you.

Back