• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you been at the receiving end of discrimination?

Years
  • Then you may be entitled to compensation.

Obviously feel free to use your own discretion on how much you want to share with us, but I'm interested to hear PC's experiences (if any) with discrimination.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I am of Arab descent and I have had a few classmates let me know that myself & my family are all terrible people. It's so frustrating dealing with those kinds of people, literally nothing you can say will change their mind. And literally all I did was sit quietly in class, not bothering anyone. I'm positive those who said that didn't even know my name. One girl got up and moved to a new seat away from me to drive the point home, oiy.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Not properly. But I've had jeers thrown my way in some dodgy parts of the country (got told to 'fuck off home' in Wakefield at 11pm, when that's exactly what I was trying to do lol). Nothing to the scale of what a lot of people experience, however.

(Filipino dude, in case people were wondering)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I'm thankful to have never (knowingly) been jeered at for being with my boyfriend. But its something I'm often very aware of in public, which still annoys me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2017
    Interesting topic.. one of which can lead to many controversial thoughts.

I'll tell you my story and let me know what you think.

I use to live in Bangkok, Thailand and use to go to school there, so was just a teenager. Well as you can imagine, as a 'white' european, you stand out.
    Due to this, the locals would:
    - Constantly attempt to scam/steal your money.
    - Charge higher prices on almost everything because of my skin colour.
    - They would always refer to you as "Falang" (something like that) which I was told was suppose to be "Foreign" but they cant actually speak English.

Now throughout the years, I've heard the argument "You're a foreigner, you can pay more money", hence confirming the racism behind it.
    Some others have said that "Falang" isn't racist but hey..
    Imagine the situation was reversed, and there was a black guy walking down the street, and I were to call out the N-word. -_-

Anyway, its not the worst discrimination around, it never really bothered me until someone said there's nothing wrong with it. But no matter how small it is, its still discrimination.

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
    Years
  • as a furry, i have not faced much, but only twice as i can remember

1: while on second life, i had been on a sim were there were large quadrents, 3 of em allowed (or did not care) furries, but the 4th did not let me in the area, even if im just cutting corners... something about "were not intrested in fucking a dog" or somethin, its been years sence it happend so my memory is fuzzy on the details

2: guy added me on skype and asked me if im a furry, of course i said "yes im a furry" he called me a "gay autistic furfag" and dropped me from contacts

us furries tend 2 get alot of hate fer some reason...

Years
  • The amount of times I've been called retard because of my disability would astound you.
    Or people saying I "Use it as an excuse" when I really can't do some things.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Not directly, but I'm sure it has happened indirectly. I don't really pay that much attention. In my city especially, it's pretty hard to be African American and a homosexual since there are lots of conservative people.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • If being roasted for being white and bad at dancing counts as discrimination then I've got a lot stories to tell.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I'm African American and I live in Mississippi, so there are uh...lot's of stories to tell. I'll just leave it at yes.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    being openly gay in a very small, religious town deep in the countryside?

you guess

Years
  • I've had uni lecturers who marked me far lower than I should have received because of my disability and likely my age to when I was first starting course work. Of course I can't actually prove that though.

Otherwise I've had a few people now and then treat me like less of a person or talk to me like I'm an idiot when they find out about my autism or anxiety problems. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone I'm clearly smarter than talks to me like I might struggle to understand or something.

Azelf Ibrahim

Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?
    Years
  • I am of Arab descent and I have had a few classmates let me know that myself & my family are all terrible people. It's so frustrating dealing with those kinds of people, literally nothing you can say will change their mind. And literally all I did was sit quietly in class, not bothering anyone. I'm positive those who said that didn't even know my name. One girl got up and moved to a new seat away from me to drive the point home, oiy.

I've also experienced this for being Arab, also for being quiet way back in school.

They're just afraid of difference. Not much you can say unfortunately, you can just be kind and outgoing to them and maybe they'll get the picture that you mean no harm or you can ignore them which I did since I wasn't really bothered about it.

Those people need to learn how to look at a person as an individual.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • Plenty of times, actually. Being a Lebanese Muslim living in Australia definitely has its downs when people bring up the Cronulla riots and the Sydney gang rapes just to piss me off. It died down for a while, but the whole thing with ISIS and the European migrant crisis has made it flare up again. People have called me a sand ******, a terrorist, a rapist, a wog, a Lebo (I especially hate that term) and just about every other name in the book.

High school was the worst. I was on a swim team, and I remember there was one team from another school that had several members who made Islamophobic taunts whenever I was around - I remember one guy sneered at me with this quote: "Why are you on a swim team when your bloody Quran tells you it's haram to expose your thighs?" I nearly gave the guy a knuckle sandwich, but two of my teammates restrained me. Actually, that was a problem in general - non-Muslims telling me what I was doing was against my religion, such as listening to music, growing my hair long, wearing clothing that exposed my legs, celebrating my birthday, being friends with non-Muslims, and a whole bunch of other stuff. News flash: millions of Muslims all over the world do things that the Quran supposedly forbids.

I'm also autistic, but the anti-Muslim attitudes overshadowed the anti-autism attitudes. I remember one person saying they didn't think autistic Muslims existed because they thought Muslims killed autistic people.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Being a flamboyant feminine phallus-lover in a conservative Asian society made for a really trying life in school (made worse by the fact that it's a Christian school).

Back