• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you eve broken a controller?

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    The thread is self explanatory. Have you ever broken, threw, or wanted to throw a controller whilst playing a game? I think we've all had moments where we at least considered flinging our controlling device one time or another.

I did, once. The game was one of the Soul Caliburs, and it is to date, the game that I have been most angry at in my life. So I was playing one of the game modes where the objectives was to kill several CPU players in a row. And this one challenge was incredibly hard. I was using the most broken, cheap, unfair characters to do this and still failed. Then I started doing really well, and got to the last opponent. So, palms sweaty, I started spamming every combo I could remember, that and some classic button mashing. But then, at the last second, the cheating jerk of a CPU used every combo possible in two seconds. Keep in mind, some of these combos would take a very long time to master, and still take a few seconds to execute, so I couldn't hope to use them myself. However, the computer controlled characters can do the same combos in the same amount of time it took to press a single button. Also note that this was at least the seventh time this had happened.

To make a long story short, I suddenly had one less functional controller in my inventory.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I broke 1 of my PS3 controller by dropping it on concrete. I almost broke my Wii controller by throwing it.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    I haven't, but my "friend" was nice enough to break one for me.

Years
    I have not. I have smashed my keyboard in a fit of rage at my computer when the graphics card kept messing up! XDDD

That was just one of many things that went wrong that day, so I had a lot of anger pent up.​

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    I don't have the tendency to break controllers out of rage. They, well, just break randomly, like my GameCube controller tends to have a turbo fit when it wants, that's the type of breaking I end up having with controllers. There's nothing to do with me throwing it, but there have been many times I've wanted to throw a controller across the room.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I have a 3rd party N64 controller that had the most BALLS joystick. It's literally a metal stick. It had a little thumb pad on it, but my friend's older brother (who was a major douche back when we were kids) threw it off and I never found it. So, it's "broken" I guess. It's the worst controller ever, and I pity whoever plays Mario Kart with me, because there's no way you'll get me to use that controller. lol

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've never actually broken one, ever. >__>

The closest thing to that, is that one of my cheapo PS1 controllers was used for so long that it eventually just stopped working.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
    Mine never break, its just the dam control stick turning to the side when i'm aiming for precision, or it doesnt get the signal I want. Like when I'm about to get hit with something that hurts a lot, instead of running, the guy takes his time and gets hit. Only actual broken controller was N64. It was perfect. Control Stick was worn, but it worked perfect. Then one day, when I was 7, my stepdad, for NO reason, takes a hammer and destroys it in front of me and my older brother, while we were using it.
    I'll make sure he burns in hell for that. I've been doing stuff to his computer ever since.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I've worn out a few from overuse but I've never outright broken one. :/ My brother has a few times (and then I always have to buy a new one for him to break ~_~) but the controllers only I'm allowed to touch? They're in pristine condition. D: If I get frustrated and feel the need to vent by tossing a controller, I only allow myself to toss it onto the couch cushion right next to me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I've never broken a controller, but I've broken my fair share of DS'es in my lifetime.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    The only controller I know for sure that I broke (like being mad at a game) was a GameCube controller. There was a part on StarFox Adventures that pissed me off and I broke the C-stick on it.
    Other then that I've thrown 360 controllers maybe 10-20 times, and sometimes hit the wall but always ended up ok.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I didn't break any, but I got a few of them to not work properly, almost always because the actual controller sucks. The Dualshock that comes with the original PS3 has a horrible left stick that stays up at times, the DSLite has the worst shoulder buttons I've ever used(with the sole exception of the GameCube), and the 360 controller has a right bumper that refuses to work unless I press the inside corner of it.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Um...no. 0_o AFAIK, I never break my controllers. You could even say I'm more protective of any damage coming to them. My N64 and Wii/GCN controllers still work to date.

The N64 one (one of those purple transparent ones) is quite a durable little guy, and I'm very careful with my Wii and GCN Controllers.

The Wii cost $250 plus tax (not even including the price of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Brawl subsequently), so of course I'm going to maintain it well just as I do with the rest of my systems (old and new). I bought the GameCube controller just to play Super Smash Brothers Brawl, so it's not even that damaged yet, thank goodness.

My GameBoy Advance SP, excluding its charge-holding capacity, is in good condition as well. It's got quite a few scratches, some of which were natural and some due to other people. -_- With my Sega Game Gear, the wall adapter is a bit frayed on the connecting port due to natural wear and tear, so that's the only "broken" part about it.

Basically, my policy is never to display violent behavior while using my videogames. They are quite memorable and costly things, indeed, so the longer I can maintain them, the better. I've "tossed" my GBA a few times, but only onto soft pillows and beds and stuff, with moderate force where I know it will not be damaged. Just lightly enough to release any videogame frustrations. I guess I'm improving my videogame-anger channeling skills...

But yeah, all of my controllers and handhelds are in working condition. :)

Last edited:

Psysaturn

Saturn: 2365 5097 2444
    Years
    To date I have spent more money on replacement controllers than I have on consoles. I actually am down to one controller for the 360 right now so my next ragefest will put me another 80+$ in the hole.

I enjoy the games I play very very much but I have serious anger management issues that come out when playing games, like Reach.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Not truly broken, but my PSP's analogue stick and UMD drive are getting quite... frustrating. I've wanted to throw it but know how inadvisable that would be.
    Many computer mice have suffered at my hand, but that's just from general wear over time.

Years
    Oh god yes! :P

Street fighter 4 was such a rage game for me but i cudnt stop playing it! lol
    i was playing online but was gimped out of it by someone spamming shuriuken with ken, raged hard and smashed the controller on the floor...tried super glueing it back together :P

Back