• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have You ever been Stereotyped?

Years
    Honestly, I try not to. ^^;
    For some strange reason, there have been people who called me emo just because I was wearing a black shirt...
    Oh yeah, at my school, the Asians like stereo-typing Asians. xD
    Like...they do the Asian fail thing a lot.
    Ex: B+ is an Asian fail!

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Nerd and geek get thrown about a lot because of my high grades and rich vocabulary. :B
    But in a way, it's kind of true. My school isn't too stereotypical so people don't usually rag others for what they wear or their likes.
    Some people also think I'm a lesbian or suffer from penis envy because I don't care about what I wear, do none of the stereotypical girl things like cook and do chores and have never dated. I'm straight, I'm just a kid inside and don't want to date because it brings up way too much drama and problems I don't need right now.
    Also, apparently they've never seen a tomboy before. :|

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    In seventh grade, my friends (who were mostly asian) made me an honorary asian since I was good at math and was kind of a nerd, and was taking Chinese. I still am. And I'm white, btw.

Anyway, I don't really get stereotyped seriously. Although my friends sometimes joke that I'm a woman because I love Diet Coke, and have done some pretty "womanly" things before. Whatever. I don't let it get to me, they're just joking.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm also a nerd for liking Pokemon. But also a jock for playing football. I'm conflicted. :P

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
    Yup, I have. In school, I'm considered a nerd because i like anime and Pokemon, and cause I make good grades in class

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    Since I have a low BMI, some people call me anorexic... which is not cool, nor do I look that way at all.

Mr.Kirby

off the wall
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 13, 2009
    Most of the time I'm "that preppy girl" or "that one girl", if the second one counts. xD Being a loner and kind of out of the way must count as some sort of stereotype. Being called preppy makes sense too with the way I look and act. :T But I bet to a real preppy person I wouldn't even compare.

Sometimes I don't really think I fit into a stereotype. \o/ Just people on the opposite side of the spectrum make those stereotypes to me.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    part of my heritage is from mexico
    so you can only imagine how many people give stereotype remarks to me
    but hey i could care less about what they say because we always make a big joke out of it!
    so yeah i have but its no big deal

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Yes I have. Apparently I have no soul and am going to hell. Oh, and I am feminine, have a fashion sense and fit. All because I am gay. Nice.

Years
    Yep, because I like death metal (as well as metal in general), and dyed my hair black, I'm called emo most of the time. It's straightforward, well, to them anyway. If you were to consider me anything like that, it would be goth, emo culture is something I personally avoid at all costs. Sorry to those particular people, but that's who I am. Also, assumptions are made from ignorance and being paranoid, it's by far obvious from the frequent talk about it at school -.-

Another thing, is a nerd, because I like computers, yes, that is true, but according to fact, that does not classify me as a nerd. A nerd is someone that cares a lot about their knowledge, a geek is someone who has a huge passion in an obscure subject. That being, that I'm a geek. I admit to that quite easily.

I can really say this is annoying!

Note - metal is not emos music, this is the problem these days, mixing up emo music with metal!!!!

Last edited:

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Hmm. "That ****ing asian" is what I used to hear. He doesn't say it anymore cause my really close guy friend at the time told him to **** off.

Jweeson

Pokemon Aficianado
    Years
    I get called "emo" all the time. I have bangs, and I straighten them. Plus I wear skinny jeans, so I look the part. But I am anything but "emo." My wrists are scar-free.

Lucent

✿ border of life
    Years
    One time I had some of the trendy/stupid girls come up to me and ask if I were emo. I didn't know what it meant at the time, so I said I didn't know. They then asked if I liked the dark. I was gonna say "no", but the lunch/recess bell rang, meaning it was time for class.

Yet another reason why I despise public school so much. Too many stereotypers out there. FYI, I'm not emo whatsoever. I may like dark clothing, but that's because it brings out my colors more, IMHO.

2A4Rulez

Kurotsuchi FTW
    Years
    People in my class think I'm gay because I said I don't have a girlfriend and I'm not ashamed of it. This kid keeps saying ThomGay because my last name is Thomas, but the good thing is a lot of people know its not true because I told them what I was like at my old school(I was reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaly perverted!).

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    Yess.

When I first moved to the south from the north, everyone called me a "yankee" cause I was from New York. And they said all yankees are stupid.

Years
    Mmmyup. It's going to happen no matter what, so I just try to accept that fact & ignore it.: P

I've been called a nerd for liking anime/manga/video games.
    I've been called emo for wearing skinny jeans and having shortish choppy pink hair.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Yeah, I've been called a nerd because I'm fairly intelligent and like gaming. However, I am a nerd, so I don't really find it that offensive XD

Edit: LOL at the advert underneath this thread XD
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2009
    I been categoroze as an emo many of times due to my clothes and hair. Furthermore, I also seem to always get ask if I have a spare cigarette :S I dont smoke. However, the public seem to think I look like a person who will smoke lol

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    Just because I like anime, I'm obssesed with Pokémon, and I have some opening music in my MP3 I'm called an Otaku, specially at school. But at least, I don't get critiziced that much, like some of my emo classmates I know about. Now THOSE are emo, even if they deny it, later they end up admitting it.

Back