• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever boxed your starter before?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Basically like the title says. You were doing a nuzlocke and your starter died? You were not impressed by your starter and so ditched it? You just don't like using starters? All that is allowed to be posted here!

Years
  • No, because I'm too attached to my starter and would feel like a massive jerk if I did.

... not to say anyone who does is a jerk that's just how I would feel personally. :x

Years
  • Only during specific challenge playthroughs and the situation calls for it. Otherwise I never really do and structure my whole team around whichever starter I choose

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i got to a point where i was like you know what. i don't like these (looking at you gen IV and V). so i started to box my starters and not be so attached to them. i geeeenerally only do this in gen IV, V, and sometimes VI. i haven't replayed gen VII enough to even use all three all the way through the game so i'm not bored w them yet. i've played RSE and GSC countless times, but still love the starters enough to keep them. just not a huge fan of some of them and i shouldn't have to play through the game w pokemon i am only keeping out of obligation and not because they're useful or interesting to me, you know?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I don't think I've ever boxed my starter. Unless I'm doing some sort of challenge like an egglocke or something.

Years
  • never. they're too precious :3
    but i sometimes box them if they get too leveled up. i want a balanced team >.<

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I have nearly always boxed my starters. I only just recently started trying *not* to and enjoying the full game with them, such is the case with my Mudkip in my current playthrough of AlphaSapphire. But almost every time I've played before, I have boxed my starter :rowlyikes: They just don't always fit the team composition I'm going for that game.

Years
  • Only during specific challenge playthroughs and the situation calls for it. Otherwise I never really do and structure my whole team around whichever starter I choose

Same for me. I feel like having your starter on any new run is just natural and it feels weird to me to box it, unless I'm doing a very specific run that the starter doesn't fit into (which is already very rare). Out of the probably 100+ runs I've done, I've probably not boxed it more than two or three times?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    After going through Moon with an Everstone Litten, in Ultra Sun I just boxed it right away.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The only time I boxed my starter was in BW when there was a Pokemon of each time that I wanted to use moreso than the three starters. But other than that during my first runthrough of a new game/generation I almost always stick with a starter and only box the starter if it's a challenge run or something.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Almost every single time
    when I start a game - I have my team planned out and most likely already bred, egg ready to be transferred over
    every team I start is at level 1 Pokemon

I have to use the starter until I can reach the part of the game where trading can happen

Last edited:
    Years
  • I tend to keep my starters in my squad but most of the time from gen 3 on they aren't my main pokemon that I turn to if I need to get the job done, I rotate my squad in order alot when leveling up so if it levels up too fast it tends to sit at the back of my squad, granted my last run of ultra moon I had Charzard, Blastoise and Decidueye in my squad

Back