• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever felt you were a different "age"?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'm pretty sure we've felt a bit like this, whether younger or older. You go through tour normal daily activities and just after some examination of yourself and others, you start thinking to yourself why you seem to act older, younger, mature, immature, call it whatever, when compared to the others in society.

When I was 13, no fool would believe I was that old. I'd often be taken as a 15 year old and I always camouflaged right in with the Sophomores at neighboring high school of my old middle school. If I wanted to sneak into the high school and buy a coke during lunch, I wouldn't have to put much effort in the sneaking part. Not to mention my voice got the bass treatment when I was later 12.

Of course, now my social age is catching up to my external and internal age, but yeah, I've felt a lot like that back then and I still sort of feel like that. It's like a weird TV trope, an adult trapped in an adolescent body. It's pretty frustrating.

So then I think others have sort of had that kind of feeling. The overconfidence of you being grown up after successfully going to the restroom for the first time does not count >_>

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    When I was eleven, I was the second smallest person in my class and people who didn't know me always assumed I was eight or nine years old. It didn't really bother me because the year after I had a massive growth spurt and caught up with most of my class.

Online, when I was fourteen, people would often scrutinise my supposed age. One of the main offenders was Twinx, who claimed I had to be older to analyse the Pokemon world as I did in numerous posts. Looking back, I wouldn't have expected an average fourteen year old to wrote what I wrote.

That's... pretty much everything I can think of.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    The way I act and they way I look in rl, people think I'm a lot older. When I tell them I'm a Sophomore they think I'm a Sophomore in college. I act mature, I don't fool around much like other kids my age.

Years
    A lot of people get surprised when I tell them I'm 11, but they'd probably think I was 8 or 9 if they saw me in real life, seeing as I'm really small. :P Apart from that, I sometimes feel older than I am when I'm around young children.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    My physical age as of right now is 23, but I relate so much more to people younger than me, in the 18-21 range that I just consider that to be my emotional age. It's quite appropriate as well considering that there were other factors that had forced me to "pause" my life when I actually was 21. >_>

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    I look older than I actually am, but I act like a regular 18 years old guy.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Even though I look younger than I actually am (I mean, I got asked if I was 14 to go see a movie the other week...), I've always been told I've acted way above my age. This may not be true online, but in person I've always tried to help with family and taken control of situations. I go out of my way to help my friends with their problems, and I've been told a few times I'm more like the parent in my household. :P

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I guess I'd like to think I was more mature for my age growing up but looking back I was just as irrational as the rest of the kids my age, just in completely different ways or over different things. Even now that's still true.

How old I feel also kind of depends on where I am and who all I'm around at the time. On here for instance, I feel older, like a wise old lady passing on experience and knowledge to the youth (even though I'm just as young as quite a number of people here).

With my usual group of IRL friends, however, I'm kind of the naive little kid, in part because I'm the youngest in the group (if only by about 1 or 2 years) and in part because they're far more experienced in being adults dealing with the real world. They've each faced a lot more than I have and I'm kind of sheltered, over-emotional, and not really toughened by the forces of life yet. Those guys are kind of like big brothers to me <3

Other things that confuse my age are the fact that outwardly (as in appearance) I haven't changed much since I was in my mid-teens. I'm petite, have a round face and have a high voice. I'm also not interested in makeup and rarely bother buying new clothes so I'm kind of stuck with it until I start really aging. That brings me to the last thing, which relates to my body but rather makes me feel like a busted old hag than a kid. It's my messed up spine and other strange things like random knee aches and the fact that my hair's very thin and falls out constantly (it's genetic).

tl;dr - I can feel older; I can feel younger. It all just depends on the situation.

Last edited:

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
    Years
    From the age of fifteen, people thought I was nineteen based on my height, appearance and how I presented and carried myself. Today, now that I am actually nineteen, people assume I'm in my early twenties. Ah well, they'll get it right eventually.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    For me, in most situations I feel a lot older than I actually am. One time when I was twelve I was talking about my birthday coming to people who were older and that I'd just met, and they said something along the lines of "How old are you turing? 16?" and I was like huh? I'm turning 13... They were surprised that I was only twelve. So I guess I acted old enough to seem 15..

Now days, most of my friends are a couple of years older because most of those in my age group are perverted and I just don't really like hanging out with them.

Another thing, is when I spend time with my little sister I seem to lose a few years and get down closer to her age so we can really bond instead of fight or something contrary.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    well yeah. When I was like 15 you could really see that I had the thoughts and points of view of a 20 besies I was a really serious guy. About a year ago after I met my wife, well lets say that life came back to me and I wasnt so interested in growing up fast and miss all my life... after all I love her and I want a long long life with her =D
    but anyways, now Im still a very mature person, I dont say it myself, people all around me tell me and my family how mature I am since I dont thnk stuff like "oh yeah dude lets get wasted and crush into a tree =D its raelly funny dude" "dude lets hurt people because its fun" seirously, those people are retarded. so as I was saying, Im a very mature guy, like if soemone would want to talk to me in a formal and seirous way I totally can without making fun of anybody and judging them. In the other hand I never stopped being 18 so its not like im gonna say "oh no Im not gonna go out becaus my back hurts and young people listen to thta noisy music, Im gonna sty home listeing to classic music (please if you listen to classic music dont get offended, you get my point)" so yeah, Im mature and i can be treated like an adult without failing you.

one funny thing is that I look like im 15 but when peoples start knowing me they realize it xD

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    My external age is that of an 18 year old. Not even I believe that, really. Most people say I sound older than I am. After all, I was mistaken to be 20 multiple times over the internet when I was 14. I think it may have been my willingness to take what was going on (I was on WoW. XD) one step at a time and not be all "OMGWEHAVETODOTHISNOWTHERE'SNOTIMETOWASTE!!!" like everyone else I encountered in my age group. In short... I obeyed AND analyzed when necessary. I didn't just pick one and adamantly root myself there.

That was then. Ever since I was 16, I've felt twelve. I had that high school maturity dump, that much is certain. I am still trying to to recover from what I thought I put so much preparation into to prevent.

So I guess I'm mixed... It depends on the day really.

But I tend to get along with those in my age group with a similar mindset AND more often than not those older than me. Younger children I've encountered have been too stuck up and full of themselves for me to tolerate. Though, in my high school years, as those who lived in my area had to double up with the elementary next door to get home on a bus... Each year I found only ONE child I could tolerate, and tended to end up befriending them rather quickly. It saddened me that each one was only on that bus for a year...
    Woah. Sorry for the off topic spiel.

AuraGaurdian

Protector of auras
    Years
    I know excactly how everyone who has posted feels Im currently 13 though I am much more mature than anyone in my class and I have extremely different veiws on things,for example over here in Ireland we have a sport known as hurling I cannot stand it yet every other boy in my class loves it. To put it frankly the object of the game is to hit a small ball either into a net or over a bar with a fancy stick with a few nails at the end called a "hurl" to get points. Where my sometimes imbecilic friends love watching the game because they find it so entertaining I find it very very dull as in my eyes all I see are some cave men fighting over a ball with sticks.
    other boys often call me weird for not liking it and my teacher says that I have the build for it but I plain and simply dont like the sport. phew sorry that turned into a bit of a rant didnt it.....heh heh well anyway back to the subject at hand yes I find myself a lot more mature than anyone I know who is my age.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Physically speaking, people thought I was in the middle school age range because I was still ~5'3" until the beginning of my junior year of high school, plus my voice didn't drop until then either. On the contrary, I was always considered to be mature for my age.

I'm just an odd child.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    I feel like I'm 20 going on 60.

All my friends want to do is go clubbing and get so drunk they can't remember on what they've done and then rely on Facebook/videos to enlighten them. I like to have a drink, but I know my limits, I also have no interest in clubbing.

Also, since changing social groups a few years back, I know don't really know where I belong. It's quite confusing.

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
    Since I was really little, people always thought I was older than I actually am, I was always tall and stuff for my age, so when I was 1 and not really walking or talking, there were people asking my parents if I had disabilities because they assumed I was around three or four years old >.<
    I also matured emotionally/mentally really young 'cause of my family, so I didn't get on with kids my own age but I got on with older ones really well. People always assumed I was around 3 years older than I was because I looked and acted it, and my school grades would show the same and all.
    Even now, I'm 15 but I look around 17/18... my step-sister had her 18th birthday party last week and most of the people there assumed I was maybe six months younger or something? It's weird, but I've kind of gotten used to it. On my fifteenth birthday, I'm like 'Wait... I'm still only fifteen? Woahhhhh' because it felt like I should be turning seventeen o.O

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    for at least a year or two, people have been assuming I'm about 17 or thereabouts..

I'm really 15.

Up until a few months ago, I've felt like I'm way older than I really am...

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    just yesterday i felt like that.

I was watching edd-ed-and eddy, and playing pokemon, while drinking a juice box. it was just a coincidence but when i became aware of it i was like WTF am i doing! i felt like i was 5.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2016
    LMAO, I'm 16 and probably alot more mature than most people in my age that I know. I'm the only one intrested in what's going on in the world here, and I'm also the only one intrested in politics. Sometimes, I just want to punch my friends in the face, because they just don't simply know how I am or that I have "outgrown" them in a certain way. However, that doesn't mean I still can't watch a kiddy show like Spongebob Squarepants(The most epic show ever inveted) or childish animés like Sailor Moon and Beyblade.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i dont feel like any age, i just feel like a constantly evolving human being. when i was little i pictured feeling certain ways as i reached certain ages and though ive gradually changed over time i've felt the same way i always have, i only notice major changes when i look back on my life

which is a funny lil feeling i think we all experience because it's natural for us to organize broad concepts like time and groups of people in our heads in such a manner that tampers with our perception

tl;dr iTs All an iLLuSiOn ur whole life is a lie

Back