• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever had..

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Have you ever had a REALLY bad pokemon walkthrough guide?

Well, the one I'm complaining about is the Brady Games' Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire walkthrough with collectible covers....(just to clarify). It makes MANY mistakes and errors, like how it refers to Rock Smash as Rock Crush. It also strays away from the path that normally many players would take (ex: it skips over Rusturf tunnel until AFTER Flannery, when you have gotten Rock SMASH in Mauville). They also misspell Ralts as Ralis or Ratlis many times through the guide. Also, many pokemon pictures are messed up (ex: on the abandoned ship part, it has a Gyarados picture as a Magikarp/Feebas).

But thats not it, this guide hardly even covers half of the game. They do list each trainers' Pokemon, but not in the order of the trainers. It has only one measly paragraph on Latios/Latias and no Braille guide for the Regi's. There is hardly any given strategy within the guide for any of the Legendaries or any of the dungeons. The Pokedex only lists the pokemon and their types, no moves or the level they evolve.

Which, if any, guide(s) have you had a beef with?

Rye29

Oh what
    Years
  • eh kinda. The one I have for Colosseum(spelling) had the levels for each Pokemon the trainers . When it got to the Deep colloseum section, it said the trainers had level 80 pkmn(i think, it was somewhere in the book) And it never told me where to find the third flutemajigger.(whatever it's called) I don't really care about it, though.

Anela

I see you.
    Years
  • The only mistake I can think of in a Guide Book is my Fire Red/Leaf Green one, when they list what Pokemon you can catch in an area they put a picture of a Weedle where an Onix was suposed to be and had a few "Fire Red Only"s where they weren't supposed to be.

Sakura-Katana

Team Rocket Executive
    Years
  • Bradygames guides have always been terrible, but I don't know why someone would go out and buy a walkthrough anyway, when all the information they have is avaliable freely on the Net.

Shadowthinker

Blissey OKOer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2008
    Most guides are good. It seems to be that only the popular websites have better guides than non-popular websites

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • It wasn't too bad, but the Nintendo power guide for G/S didn't come with a pokedex. wtf every guide back then had to have a pokedex, we didnt have serebii

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I find the Nintendo guides themselves to be pretty awful these days. I haven't really looked at the DP guides, but I hated the Ruby/Sapphire guide with its mediocre walkthrough and terrible Pokédex section. I don't like how they've split the walkthrough and 'dex into two different books ever since GSC. The walkthroughs don't even list the frequency of Pokémon in the R/S walkthrough. It's not convenient if I have to flip to the back of the book and scour the lists just to figure out what I'll encounter on a route. <_< I really miss the Versus Books guides. ;_;
    Bradygames guides have always been terrible, but I don't know why someone would go out and buy a walkthrough anyway, when all the information they have is avaliable freely on the Net.
    Why would I waste money on a guide I could find on the internet?
    Sometimes it's just a lot easier to have a quick reference in front of you. Flipping through a book is much faster than navigating through pages of information. I really want the DP Pokédex just so I don't have to sit in front of a computer as I raise Pokémon just to check online what level they evolve at or when they learn certain moves.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I find the Nintendo guides themselves to be pretty awful these days. I haven't really looked at the DP guides, but I hated the Ruby/Sapphire guide with its mediocre walkthrough and terrible Pokédex section. I don't like how they've split the walkthrough and 'dex into two different books ever since GSC. The walkthroughs don't even list the frequency of Pokémon in the R/S walkthrough. It's not convenient if I have to flip to the back of the book and scour the lists just to figure out what I'll encounter on a route. <_< I really miss the Versus Books guides. ;_;

Sometimes it's just a lot easier to have a quick reference in front of you. Flipping through a book is much faster than navigating through pages of information. I really want the DP Pokédex just so I don't have to sit in front of a computer as I raise Pokémon just to check online what level they evolve at or when they learn certain moves.

Yup. Especially the so-called Bradygames. They're just some bad "clones" of the original Nintendo guides.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I have the Prima Games FRLG guide. It's okay, but there are a TON of errors in the Pokedex. Plus, it doesn't have a map of the trainers for Mt. Ember, the stretch of water before the Seafoam Islands (on both sides) and a guide on the trainers in the Trainer Tower, so I had to go to Serebii and look them up. I honestly think it was a waste of $14. (Hey, I'm 12. Every dollar matters.) I think the Nintendo DP guides were okay- every single nerd at school had a copy and was hawking over it on the bus. I guess it's what you look for in a guide that makes it better or worse...

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I don't like the old Pokemon guides I have, especially not the FRLG guide, it was only walkthrough of half the game! The DP guide is the best one (not the same people who made those RSE and FRLG guides I have) and it's worth the money. The only thing is that it misses some Pokemon (including my favorite one) and the base stats for Pokemon are still not correct. And they still doesn't have an EV guide.

Years
  • I really haven't had a bad of a guide ever. The worst ones were my silver/gold one since it didn't have a pokedex, but the guide itself was excellent, very thorough, so it made up for it and my fr/lg one because there were a few errors with the trainers.
    I usually look at my guidebooks before I buy them to make sure they look good.=P

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    But a not so good guide is better than nothing. What I mostly want is list of Pokemon and what they learn. And the shops around here only sell one kind of guide, so there isn't much to choose from. I think that when the old games sold, there were different kinds of guides though, but I never bought any. Wished I had one for GSC, but can't fins any now. I had one for GRBY/Pinball/Stadium/TCG (and maybe Snap) that cost only 1/4 as much as the other guides do (that are only for one game). Not the most perfect guide, but worth the price.

Back