• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever let a shiny get away?

Years
    I was once playing the Sapphire version, and I ran into a shiny Poochyena. Normally, that would've been a good thing, but in this case, the timing couldn't have been worse. Guess when and where I ran into it?
    On Route 103, on my way to battling Brendan for the first time. A point in the game where it's impossible to catch Pokemon, because you haven't yet obtained your first Poke Balls.

I was also a victim of the dreaded "Safari Zone Pokemon flees" episode. This time it was a Xatu, in the Emerald version.

Last edited:

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
    I was once playing the Sapphire version, and I ran into a shiny Poochyena. Normally, that would've been a good thing, but in this case, the timing couldn't have been worse. Guess when and where I ran into it?
    On Route 103, on my way to battling Brendan for the first time. A point in the game where it's impossible to catch Pokemon, because you haven't yet obtained your first Poke Balls.

I was also a victim of the dreaded "Safari Zone Pokemon flees" episode. This time it was a Xatu, in the Emerald version.
    That exact thing happened to me, I ran into a shiny Poochyena on route 103,I was frantic and quite sad.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years

Let's see...

Ran away from a shiny Whismur (in Emerald). I didn't realize what I did until I knew how rare finding a shiny was
    Traded a shiny Drapion for a Japanese Cherrim on GTS (does that count?)

Those are the two main ones....I haven't done anything else stupid with shinies because of letting those get away...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2008
    I almost did once. I wasn't paying attention up near Stark Mountain where all the Raticate are, and I just happened to look down as I saw the shine of the Raticate when it appeared. If I hadn't seen that I wouldn't have known it was shiny, it almost looks the same as a normal unless you look at them at the same time.

Becky_x

Looking for a shiny Bellossom
    Years
    I encountered a shiny Stunky and only caught it because it was a different colour and I thought it was cool XD I didn't even know what a shiny was but that was my first and only one so far.

Pookachu

Chuck Norris
    Years
    My Persian crit'd OHKO'd a Pink Butterfree on the Bug Contest in Silver. Probably, I restarted the game because of that. >_<

Years
    I found a shiny Krabby in one of the Whirl Islands caves on Pokemon Silver. I noticed it was shiny, but at that time I didn't have a clue how rare shinies were. Unfortunately, I ran away. When I looked on the internet and found out the odds of getting a shiny, I kicked myself. Literally.

Other than that, no, the rest of my shinies were caught successfully . . . well, one of the two was a shiny Torchic so it's not exactly caught, but the other one was a shiny Wooper in the Safari Zone, and I nabbed it! ^_^

Back