• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you gotten better at pokemon?

Have you gotten better at Pokemon since X & Y came out?

• A whole lot better, Yes

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • In between the Yes and No

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No. not really

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
    Hey. I'm not sure if this should be posted here so if it is not supposed a monator can move this or if a thread like this is already on here you can close it ;)

to be honest, before pokemon X & Y came out I just been focusing on power. not looking or understanding stats, not knowing IVs or EVs were important, and not caring about stat moves like trick room, Dragon Dance, Sand attack, etc. I'm sure there are other things but I can't remember them all :)
    But ever since Pokemon X & Y came out, I understood pokemon better than ever before. so I was wondering if some other people on this website have gotten better at pokemon since X & Y came out and maybe how you got better ;)

~Gogoat Rocks!~

PS: O yeah.... I had NO IDEA WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO IN A CONTEST!!!! lol {XD}

Last edited:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I've definitely gotten better, but not because of X & Y. I don't even have the games. I think X & Y made people start doing more things so they were sharing those things with everybody. I started EV training now since everyone talks about it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I wouldn't say I have gotten better, but since red and blue, yeah I have gotten a lot better.

I still could careless about competitive battling. I just find doing EV training or whatever it is is a waste of time, to me.

Years
    I got a bit better. When I started (1st generation), I thought moves which don't deal damage are useless, I also didn't know about EVs. 4th Generation is probably the generation where I started to read more about these things (or maybe it was earlier). However, I sitll didn't pay much attention to EVs since it was so tedious to EV train. I only EV trained one Pokémon in Generation 5. Now in X/Y I have multiple EV trained Pokémon through super training (I know horde battles are faster but I keep forgetting which Pokémon gives out which EVs). X/Y was also the first game where I really IV bred (except for one try in gen 5) since it's so easy now.
    So, yeah, I understand more about these things now and I am willing to do more things to get better Pokémon. But learning battling tactics and useful movesets would still require too much time for me to understand and are something I won't bother with.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    my strategies and tactics for beating the games have not changed but my understanding of Pokemon as a whole has. i have taken the time to learn more about ev's and how to breed good iv's onto Pokemon, something that i would never have attempted in gen 5.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    I think I have gotten better at pokemon. I now can understand IV/EVs so I can EV train my pokemon other than just battling pokemon.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Since I first played Gold and Ruby back in March 2003, I have improved a lot. In the early days I just used strong and powerful Pokemon against everything, not caring for type advantages, using more than one Pokemon of the same type, over-leveling my starter to be stronger than everything else (while all my other Pokemon were at level 20-30, my starter was at level 50-60), and using legendaries, which because they ended up being banned in the battle facilities such as the Battle Frontier in Emerald was why I ended up struggling through it and never got a single Battle Symbol because I was denied of use of my Rayquaza while all my other Pokemon were absolutely terrible.

In more recent years, I even out the levels of all my Pokemon (all the Pokemon in my team in X right now are at level 75-80), I try to make all the Pokemon in my team different types unless they're dual-type, because it would make my team less balanced, and I barely use legendaries since, because of the fact that the major usually get banned in Battle Facilities, they end up becoming nothing more than paperweights in the PC while the minor legendaries like Suicune and Latios can be used. Most importantly is that I now know type advantages and weaknesses better and can get through the game faster, even if I don't have a single Pokemon that has a move that's strong against *insert type here*, but every team has at least one weak point, no team is perfect.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Since X and Y have come out, not a whole lot. Since Black and White, I've gotten a fair bit better (that's when I started to do competitive battling). And since Red/Blue/Yellow, I've gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Years
    My improvement actually came in black and white when I found out about the HUGE online community. Before that I just played to be playing. I learned all the little breeding tips and battling tips then but now I feel I've actually dumbed down. Lol.
    I took too long of a break between gen 5 and 6.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I wouldn't say that I've improved since XY came out, since I've never really been the best at competitive battling to begin with. I'm the type that just absorbs all the knowledge I can and share it with others. XP

I did strongly improve my game between GenIII and GenIV though, where my mastery of defensive stall tactics started to solidify into my personal style. XD

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    When I came back into Pokemon (HeartGold & SoulSilver) I used HM moves on my main Pokemon, never used a HM slave and I was like 20 levels under the E4 and I got crushed so often by them. Upon joining this forum I got better at Pokemon, learned about IVs and EVs, breeding, and battle mechanics. I'd say this forum helped me in becoming a better Pokemon trainer :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I was younger, I didn't really know much things about Pokémon other than the fact that if you trained and reached higher levels, your Pokémon would become stronger. When I was introduced to competitive scene around gen four, I soon learned there's more to it than just that; I began learning about EV training, IV breeding, creating movsets, and things like that. All these things have definitely turned me into a better of a player than before. :P

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
    I've gotten a lot better since I first played Gold, I'd say, but I suppose that comes with getting older and learning things from other players. You don't just train one Pokemon anymore, you don't have four moves of the same type- you train your team evenly and focus on getting better coverage.

I'm still reeling from the sudden addition of Fairy-type and I constantly forget that Steel doesn't resist Dark or Ghost anymore, though. So I'd say I've actually gotten a slight bit worse since X/Y came out. XD

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I started focusing on EVs and IVs in the 5th gen, but wasn't able to breed or actually battle online. But with XY and the Friend Safari and breeding system, I got to learning and actually breeding my own Pokemon, battling online, etc., so I have gotten better. Plus I joined the forums on the cusp of the 6th gen., so that's when I started to seek advice on competitive aspects.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    Definitely. With XY out, I've finally figured out IVs and EVs and competitive battling and all that jazz.

Up until this generation, I just played through happily without caring about those things at all. :P

Golderagon7

Shine on through the darkness
    Years
    I haven't yet played X and Y, but I certainly think I've gotten better at Pokemon since I was 5 and playing Red Version:)

Shhmew

Years
    Nah, not really. I learned all about EVs and IVs and stuff in the fifth generation. Though I am looking to get more into breeding and competitive battling this gen, so improvement may come for me soon :)

Back