• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    I told you guys earlier if something wasn't done proactively we'd forget about it. :\ The announcement was supposed to bring this to the attention of every staff member of PC faster than just pming them all or word of mouth. That way we can get this done before Blue Midget comes back again and then if we're ready when he does, cause you can just tell he will, we can stop any topics he makes before it creates a fuss. MAybe even delete said topic so it doesn't take up space. Then we wouldn't have to mix words with them, and instead we can just annoy them incescently until they either get tired of trying or a person with the power to IP ban gets ahold of them.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    But he came back and made five spamming topics before he was caught. That is why we need more people who can mod. So he's stopped before he causes that much trouble. This one may be gone for good, but there are others just like him out there, and we need to be prepared for it.

Years
    perhaps it's time for a memory call. Rembember that spammer that got into Arcanine's account so long ago? remember what happened then? remember as we all were freaked out because there was nobody on that could suspend his account? If I recall, didn't somebody try to sign up as growlithe and spam? didn't he cuss arcanine out? true, arcanine was ready to be in action then, but until Kairi showed up, there was nothing that could be done about when his account was taken.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    The announcement was supposed to bring this to the attention of every staff member of PC faster than just pming them all or word of mouth.]
    Actually, it's far, far faster to PM. I can't speak for everyone, but I assume most of us check our PMs before we venture into any other forums. So that would get the job done quicker.

Zapchu said:
    Uh can everyone see me online? I'm on invisible mode, but I'm usually on PC everyday, night, morning, and afternoon I always check here. If you guys need me to take care of anything, PM me would be the fastest way. Cause I don't check all the threads sometimes, but I try. >_>; You guys are sooo much faster at locking topics.
    =X If you're on invisible mode, no one can see you online except the Moderators and above. So I could see you online, but any other member couldn't. Therefore they can't really PM you with urgent stuff if they dunno you're there. @_@

JKaizer said:
    (Does Satoshi have IP banning power?)
    Nope. None of the S-Mods do. I'm pretty sure IP banning is in vB Options or something and we've only got User Options and a few other headings in the CP. =\

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Then why don't you grant access power to S-mods as well instead of only certain people that are limited to the forum? If you say that some mods aren't here when you need them to be...

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    Have you noticed that rescently we've been betting an influx of the general brand of retard that has nothing better to do with their free time but to come up here and make lowsy jokes about us? :\ I kinda wish some of these losers weren't banned and the topics they start weren't closed, just so we could apply all we know to flame said persons out of existence. :D
    Flaming back doesn't solve anything, and more than likely you'll slip and they'll exploit it, usually turning you into a hypocrite and giving them greater satisfaction.
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    I do have morals Ft, and my morals tell me if you let teh immoral ones go scott free with nothing more than a banning which I bet they don't are about, then they don't learn and they go about life being teh jerks they are now. It's this policy of jsut leaving things alone that has broughtsociety into such the trouble it's in now.

And you don't look like an idiot if you flame them intelligently. Like tell why Pokemon is better than they think it is, why we are much more active than tehy think we are, and why they must be as lifeless as they accuse us of by bothering us like that. :D
    You can not FLAME intelligently, no. Flaming is a STUPID, MEANINGLESS bashing of something or someone. It can't be done "correctly" or "intelligently"
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    And by banning him wihtout a rebuttle, he thinks he's won. Then they problaby go to their friends and talk about how badly theyout talked us, and make Pokemon Look bad. I agree with kayleigh. I had said that earlier. As long as we tell them off intelligently, then we aren't stooping to their level, while still giving them what they deserve. If anything, we can make them look stupid without actually saying it. :D
    That's why we use technical methods such as banning to keep the situation from happening again.
    Remember that to us we battle to keep them banned, but once we get to that point there's no point in them continuing to be banned. They get no satisfaction out of that. Nay, the only time they really do is when people try to argue back, and they catch that person saying something stupid. Then they label that as "how ALL PC acts" and feel proud.

Flygon_trainer said:
    JKaiser, you are being a pity-poor example of a moderator. my compliments to DT for upholding the rules. and to Kayleigh too.
    Please don't judge the mods on who is better, at least not in public. We don't need that.
    JKaizer said:
    Aren't you glad that I'm a mod here? ^^;;;;
    Don't…encourage him JK. -_-
    Chairman Kaga said:
    S-Mods can't IP ban? That's terrible...they should be afforded that power for extreme circumstances such as these...if they're trusted enough to be S-Mods, they should be trusted all the way in respect to banning powers.
    Sadly that's an admin only thing…it doesn't come with banning. To give it to the smods is to give many many more amdin powers along with it. I apologize for being gone the past couple of days.
    Flygon_trainer said:
    here's my idea

Arcanine needs to be in Kairi's user group
    Current S-mods need moved to Preator
    7 mods should be moved to S-mods catagory.
    10 members moved to mods group.

I understand that it is sketchy, and adjustments will have to be made to account for staff/member ratio.
    Arcanine has all the powers I do.
    We don't mod people to meet a "quota" of active members, we mod people who really deserve it, few or many. Making praetors is soley up to the admins anyways.

Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    Have you noticed that rescently we've been betting an influx of the general brand of retard that has nothing better to do with their free time but to come up here and make lowsy jokes about us? :\ I kinda wish some of these losers weren't banned and the topics they start weren't closed, just so we could apply all we know to flame said persons out of existence. :D

Do you mean me? o.o :dead:

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Abby said:
    Please don?t judge the mods on who is better, at least not in public. We don?t need that.
    Let them bash me as they please. It's nothing new.
    Abby said:
    Don?t encourage him JK. -_-
    Encourage him? I'm doing nothing more than being truthful.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Kairi said:
    Flaming back doesn?t solve anything, and more than likely you?ll slip and they?ll exploit it, usually turning you into a hypocrite and giving them greater satisfaction.

You can not FLAME intelligently, no. Flaming is a STUPID, MEANINGLESS bashing of something or someone. It can?t be done ?correctly? or ?intelligently?

That?s why we use technical methods such as banning to keep the situation from happening again.
    Remember that to us we battle to keep them banned, but once we get to that point there?s no point in them continuing to be banned. They get no satisfaction out of that. Nay, the only time they really do is when people try to argue back, and they catch that person saying something stupid. Then they label that as ?how ALL PC acts? and feel proud.

Please don?t judge the mods on who is better, at least not in public. We don?t need that.

Don?t?encourage him JK. -_-

Sadly that?s an admin only thing?it doesn?t come with banning. To give it to the smods is to give many many more amdin powers along with it. I apologize for being gone the past couple of days.

Arcanine has all the powers I do.
    We don?t mod people to meet a ?quota? of active members, we mod people who really deserve it, few or many. Making praetors is soley up to the admins anyways.

Kairi, I understand you're a well respected member and try to do things fairly, but I must ask you to read more than just the first few pages. :\ My position on the issue has shifted since then. I find it too tiring to bother with their trash talk and instead am lobbying to increase the staff so that we can cut them off early to reduce the amount of harm they do to the forum through spam and deragatory language by keeping an eye on a new person for their first few posts, and if they turn out to be a hater in disguise quickly ban them and lock teh thread. Deleting it would be even better. Although I admit I'm guilty of it this next portion of the issue, people become bitter from these losers and sneak in a few departing remarks before a mod closes the topic. I feel it would better the whole of PC if we had enough staff that we can take the preemptive position and stop any degrading topics and/or posts before viewed by the other members. Granted the fact the staff would have to be built up considerably, but I think it would be worth it. :\

DarkTerror

COCKROACH
    Years
    It's too late now. People have fired this guy up too much. I'd say he was burning out now and would lave soon, but if I did he'd make sure he registeres 20 more accounts just to make a point. Then again, getting rid of this guy is no longer the point. You have to understand the very basic level that spammers operate on. They're like little kids that want attention. They scream and shout and carry on, and if you respond to that, they know they can egt that attention through that kind of behavior, so they keep on doing it. The best thing to do is just ignore them.

You see, in the case of a spammer, you have a person who is usually pretty pissed off at something, sometimes without realising it. This state of being "pissed off" however more of a constant nagging discontentment that they live with for years, and focus against certain groups or individuals. These groups or individuals however are not the true source of the persons state, and usually only do some minor thing to annoy the person. The true source is usually something the person cannot deal with themselves, due to a combination of low self-esteem and a lack of emotional strength. This is the typical bully/victim arrangement. People like us are made the targets of these attacks to relieve the stress the spammer feels. The spammer wants to feel a sence of power and control over the group which victimises them, which they themselves cannot achieve in real life.

The spammer wants the group or groups to respond violently, as most people do. When angry and violent responces are made, it instills a sence of satisfaction in the spammer, as they feel they have achieved a victory with every responce. The more threatening the post the greater the victory, as the spammer knows any threats of physical violence made cannot be carried out, and this empowers the spammer to feel they have "beaten" the group, as they cannot harm the spammer. Since this target group is in fact a substitute for the real source of the discontentment, this too makes the spammer feel they have control on that situation.

The only way to prevent the spamming from contimuing is to cause some kind of fundimental change in the way of thinking of the spammer. This is done by presenting something to them that contradicts with thier expectations. Not replying at all starves them of attention, and if they don't get that attention they don't feel they are causing any interruption in the group, and they loose. The spamming will usually continue for awhile, but the spammer sets other targets like "pising off everybody" and other pointless things, just to try and justify to themselves that they are not doing for the attention. Shortly after they usually give up, concluding that it's "not worth their time".

Making a post where you where you nicely ask him to stop can reverse the situation back on the spammer. The spammer needs to feel that the group it is attacking is in some way bad, as they feel the group that attacks them is bad. This is confirmed through the threats of violence, which provokes the continuation of the attack. If the threats are absent in the replies, and polite terms are instead used, such as in the post I made, it can challenge that idea, and if the spammer is not too locked into a pattern of thinking, this can cause a change in the percpetion of the group the attack is being launched on, which can in tern lead to the attack stopping all together, and the spammer not attacking any other groups for a considerable period of time, as the memory of that change in perception will stay with the spammer the next time the thought occurs. There is a critical time however after a post is made which challenges thier perception in which no other threatening posts must be made, or else the spammer will reaffirm thier original perception, and contimue with thier actions.

In summing up, spammers wouldn't be a problem if everyone would just shut the heck up when they started spamming, or even better, continue with thier original conversations and just ignore the presence of the spam all together. Unfortunately, nobody ever seems to do that.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    Kairi, I understand you're a well respected member and try to do things fairly, but I must ask you to read more than just the first few pages. :\ My position on the issue has shifted since then. I find it too tiring to bother with their trash talk and instead am lobbying to increase the staff so that we can cut them off early to reduce the amount of harm they do to the forum through spam and deragatory language by keeping an eye on a new person for their first few posts, and if they turn out to be a hater in disguise quickly ban them and lock teh thread. Deleting it would be even better. Although I admit I'm guilty of it this next portion of the issue, people become bitter from these losers and sneak in a few departing remarks before a mod closes the topic. I feel it would better the whole of PC if we had enough staff that we can take the preemptive position and stop any degrading topics and/or posts before viewed by the other members. Granted the fact the staff would have to be built up considerably, but I think it would be worth it. :\
    I did read every page, and I know that you shifted. However others might not, and should they cling onto that view I just wanted to reaffirm what was wrong with it. I don't mean you any harm. I'm just glad you see it that way now, really. ^_^;

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    DarkTerror said:
    It's too late now. People have fired this guy up too much. I'd say he was burning out now and would lave soon, but if I did he'd make sure he registeres 20 more accounts just to make a point. Then again, getting rid of this guy is no longer the point. You have to understand the very basic level that spammers operate on. They're like little kids that want attention. They scream and shout and carry on, and if you respond to that, they know they can egt that attention through that kind of behavior, so they keep on doing it. The best thing to do is just ignore them.

You see, in the case of a spammer, you have a person who is usually pretty pissed off at something, sometimes without realising it. This state of being "pissed off" however more of a constant nagging discontentment that they live with for years, and focus against certain groups or individuals. These groups or individuals however are not the true source of the persons state, and usually only do some minor thing to annoy the person. The true source is usually something the person cannot deal with themselves, due to a combination of low self-esteem and a lack of emotional strength. This is the typical bully/victim arrangement. People like us are made the targets of these attacks to relieve the stress the spammer feels. The spammer wants to feel a sence of power and control over the group which victimises them, which they themselves cannot achieve in real life.

The spammer wants the group or groups to respond violently, as most people do. When angry and violent responces are made, it instills a sence of satisfaction in the spammer, as they feel they have achieved a victory with every responce. The more threatening the post the greater the victory, as the spammer knows any threats of physical violence made cannot be carried out, and this empowers the spammer to feel they have "beaten" the group, as they cannot harm the spammer. Since this target group is in fact a substitute for the real source of the discontentment, this too makes the spammer feel they have control on that situation.

The only way to prevent the spamming from contimuing is to cause some kind of fundimental change in the way of thinking of the spammer. This is done by presenting something to them that contradicts with thier expectations. Not replying at all starves them of attention, and if they don't get that attention they don't feel they are causing any interruption in the group, and they loose. The spamming will usually continue for awhile, but the spammer sets other targets like "pising off everybody" and other pointless things, just to try and justify to themselves that they are not doing for the attention. Shortly after they usually give up, concluding that it's "not worth their time".

Making a post where you where you nicely ask him to stop can reverse the situation back on the spammer. The spammer needs to feel that the group it is attacking is in some way bad, as they feel the group that attacks them is bad. This is confirmed through the threats of violence, which provokes the continuation of the attack. If the threats are absent in the replies, and polite terms are instead used, such as in the post I made, it can challenge that idea, and if the spammer is not too locked into a pattern of thinking, this can cause a change in the percpetion of the group the attack is being launched on, which can in tern lead to the attack stopping all together, and the spammer not attacking any other groups for a considerable period of time, as the memory of that change in perception will stay with the spammer the next time the thought occurs. There is a critical time however after a post is made which challenges thier perception in which no other threatening posts must be made, or else the spammer will reaffirm thier original perception, and contimue with thier actions.

In summing up, spammers wouldn't be a problem if everyone would just shut the heck up when they started spamming, or even better, continue with thier original conversations and just ignore the presence of the spam all together. Unfortunately, nobody ever seems to do that.
    First of all, we're human beings. No human being can truly purposefully ignor someon, especially since in this case it's the written word,a nd it lingers. :\
    Second, That is all a load of hooey that if you ignore them they'll stop. If they desire attention, then they'll do anything to get it. It doesn't maek tehm stop. It makes them more violent. I speak from experience. NEver ignore them. That's asking for further trouble. Ignoring things is what has made society the hell hole it is toaday, pardon teh expression.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back