• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you reached adulthood?

Have you reached adulthood?

• Yes

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • In some ways yes, in some ways no

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    Hello everyone,

I thought this was an interesting question. Do you feel that you have reached adulthood?

What does it take to become a true adult? Is it turning 18 or 21? Finishing school? Moving out of your parents' home? Marriage? Anything else?

I'm excited to hear your answers!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Yes definitely. I have so many responsibilities now. I just turned 25.. I live in a different country from my parents on my own.. I work, pay taxes, do my banking, clean, cook, and generally take care of myself from day to day.

I think what it takes to become a true adult varies from person to person, but I think a certain level of life experience, and personal and financial* responsibility is called for (especially if you have others that depend on you.)

*you don't necessarily have to be earning money depending on your situation, but as long as you're responsible with the money you are allocated or have saved, I say it's a step in the right direction to being an adult.

Last edited:
    Years
    I most certainly have. I'm 23 1/2, and am currently living on college campus.

But at the same time, I feel that once you're out of college is when you really reach that next part of your life and can truly be called an adult. For that matter, if you saw me i'm sure you'd think I look WAY younger than I actually am. :P

pkmin3033

I don't feel as though I have right now, no. Which is a depressing thing to admit, as I just turned 25.

Last year, I would have probably said yes. I had a full-time job I was happy with, I was contributing to the household, and the way I felt and was treated was definitely different to how I was treated when I was in University the year before. I hadn't moved out - although I was looking at places whilst building up a small amount of capital; I would have definitely moved out by this point - but I was living a fairly comfortable life.

Now though, I've since had all of that taken away from me (quite literally, as health services have told me that I need to focus on recovery and shouldn't work until they say otherwise) and I'm dependant on my parents again; I feel like I've taken several giant steps backwards. I can still take care of myself - cooking and cleaning etc isn't an issue; I also frequently do household chores and anything else I can to make life easier - but I'm still financially dependant on my parents again, and I've lost a lot of the freedom I had before.

I'm at something of a loss at the moment, and whilst I would hope my reaction and how I'm coping with it is fairly adult, I still feel that if I really WAS grown up, I wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place. I would never have let myself get to this point (however I even got to this point...) and I would have overcome it much more quickly, instead of still being stuck in this position after a frustrating year of trying to get out of it and back to where I was before.

I've never really stopped to consider myself an adult though, I've never thought it to be all that...relevant, really. It's a difficult thing to define really, as it varies from person to person...I know some people twice my age who would definitely qualify as adults who act like children, and some people several years younger than me who are very mature...or, at least, more mature than I was when I was their age.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm 22, so legally speaking I am an adult. But it's a bit hard to really feel like an adult when you still live at home with your parents and don't have a job. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even mature enough for my age.

Years
    Yes definitely. I have so many responsibilities now. I just turned 25.. I live in a different country from my parents on my own.. I work, pay taxes, do my banking, clean, cook, and generally take care of myself from day to day.

I think what it takes to become a true adult varies from person to person, but I think a certain level of life experience, and personal and financial responsibility is called for (especially if you have others that depend on you.)

I can definitely relate as I've been living in a different country from my parents for over a year now as well. So I do the household, go to university and have to take responsibility for almost anything. I agree that it varies from person to person. I guess, taking responsibility is a big step towards becoming an adult though.

I most certainly have. I'm 23 1/2, and am currently living on college campus.

But at the same time, I feel that once you're out of college is when you really reach that next part of your life and can truly be called an adult. For that matter, if you saw me i'm sure you'd think I look WAY younger than I actually am. :P

Personally, since I moved out and and started university, I've been feeling much more of an adult than before. I guess it's because living outside your parents' home and going to university lets you have all kinds of new freedoms and at the same time lots of new responsibilities. It's a big change in life, at least for me. I can't really see something as big as that happening again anytime soon xD

I don't feel as though I have right now, no. Which is a depressing thing to admit, as I just turned 25.

Last year, I would have probably said yes. I had a full-time job I was happy with, I was contributing to the household, and the way I felt and was treated was definitely different to how I was treated when I was in University the year before. I hadn't moved out - although I was looking at places whilst building up a small amount of capital; I would have definitely moved out by this point - but I was living a fairly comfortable life.

Now though, I've since had all of that taken away from me (quite literally, as health services have told me that I need to focus on recovery and shouldn't work until they say otherwise) and I'm dependant on my parents again; I feel like I've taken several giant steps backwards. I can still take care of myself - cooking and cleaning etc isn't an issue; I also frequently do household chores and anything else I can to make life easier - but I'm still financially dependant on my parents again, and I've lost a lot of the freedom I had before.

I'm at something of a loss at the moment, and whilst I would hope my reaction and how I'm coping with it is fairly adult, I still feel that if I really WAS grown up, I wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place. I would never have let myself get to this point (however I even got to this point...) and I would have overcome it much more quickly, instead of still being stuck in this position after a frustrating year of trying to get out of it and back to where I was before.

I've never really stopped to consider myself an adult though, I've never thought it to be all that...relevant, really. It's a difficult thing to define really, as it varies from person to person...I know some people twice my age who would definitely qualify as adults who act like children, and some people several years younger than me who are very mature...or, at least, more mature than I was when I was their age.

Don't worry too much. At 25, there are lots of people who don't see themselves as adults yet. Actually, until the late 20s, many (if not most people) don't feel completely grown-up so it's OK.

I do see how it must be depressing since you had to take several steps back. But I'd say, getting healthy is more important. I hope you'll get well soon! :3

I'm 22, so legally speaking I am an adult. But it's a bit hard to really feel like an adult when you still live at home with your parents and don't have a job. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even mature enough for my age.

Oh, it's ok. It's totally fine if you're not that independent yet. I mean, living at home with your parents actually has a couple of advantages too, so I wouldn't feel so bad about it. Everyone's different. Some people feel they have reached adulthood at 18, others may take until 33. In my opinion, you still got plenty of time :D

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Adulthood is more about independence than an age. I would definitely say I'm an adult now. I am fully independent and pretty much do everything on my own, and have many responsibilities.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I'm 26 years old. I have a degree, a salary (paid taxes for the first time this year, too), lived on my own for the last 7 years, and generally I have more autonomy than ever since I answer to no one (in terms of the choices I make with my life, as in I no longer need to "pitch" them to dad). I went on a trip I booked myself for the first time this year. I am mentally and emotionally far, far more mature than I was even a few years ago. There are still a few bits missing from my goal of 100% independence (dad technically owns my car but that will change next year; I don't own a home, though I will at least also be upsizing next year from a 1BR apartment to a 2 or 3BR house).

Pretty sure I'm an adult by now. It's freaking awesome!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    21 years old, about to finish my classes in car mechanics. Currently don't have a job right now, but going to have one soon. Planning on moving out with my girlfriend when I get enough money.

I'm an adult in the legal way, yes. But I don't consider myself an adult by society unless I got myself a house/apartment, got a job to support myself.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Legally, I'm an adult, and in many ways, I lead an "adult" life, but I still don't think I've fully transitioned to adulthood. I've graduated from college, and I have a job and an apartment, but I'm not completely financially independent yet. Also, although I'm out of school (which I suppose is something I think of as a necessary step in moving towards adulthood), I plan to continue my education in the fairly near future, so I'm not sure I'll feel like I'm really an adult until I'm done with formalized schooling for good.

Neo Emolga

Legendary Sky Squirrel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    32 here. I've got a job, but rent around NJ is ridiculous. I'm still living with my dad, but I've moved half of my stuff to my brother's place (but even he hasn't begun moving his stuff yet due to his job's location).

Honestly, I pay my own bills, handle my own insurance, have my own job, do my own finances, and have done a decent share of grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, and those kinds of things. I've also finished grad school. I can safely say I've passed into adulthood, but yeah, it's the moving out part that's tricky.

Years
    I would say there is such a thing as a non-responsible adult, irresponsible, and a responsible adult.

Further, young adults tend to have less responsibility. They should still consider themselves as adults and seek some responsibility in life if they are able to do so. (otherwise they assume the self-filling prophecy of acting like a child)

I am going to school full-time + job, and paying for my own living expenses which makes me a responsible adult.

Also, it's pertinent to mention, though I am "independent", but no one is truly an independent individual in regard to government, economy, work, and social institutions. We are always dependent upon those things. So, my lack of dependency has been "earned" in some respect, but more than anything, that hard work is nothing without the opportunities, health, adequate cognition, and assistance I have received.

I don't want to be one of those people who is advocating that people "need to get a job."

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I live on my own away from my parents, so I guess I'm an adult. I pay bills, do my own shopping, and the only thing that my parents really do is pay my car insurance and keep me on the phone plan. So, I'm not completely independent, but I'm getting there!

Answering the question, I'm mature for my age, know how to handle responsibilities, and I'm confident in myself, so I'd say yes. I am an adult.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I voted for the middle one. I guess I should give myself a little more credit. I have two little furballs whose lives depend on my opposable thumbs to open their cans of food and open the fridge to fetch and prep their meat for them. Having little lives that depend on you 100% is kind of an adult thing, since I can't ever have 'real' kids. :P

But if we wanna get really deep, I'm 21, so legally.. not even entirely legally. As with a lot of mental 'illnesses', PTSD is a bit of hindrance on my life.

On one hand, I can't really work with other people, which bothers the hell out of me. I feel like I'm just leeching off of my boyfriend and the government. There's a lot of school courses I have to skip. I've been afraid to learn how to drive, and the only reason I get in Boyfriend's truck with him is because I trust him. A lot. There's a lot I just really can't do... and I dunno if that sentence needs a "yet" or if things just get worse as time goes on? Haven't dealt with it long enough to have a grasp on that.

If I do end up having a job in the foreseeable future, I'd have to run a small business from home. Which I have been working toward, if that counts for anything.

On the other hand, as soon as I moved upstairs (2 years ago? 3?) my parents decided that was my form of 'independence', no matter how small it seemed. My parents are disabled, so in a roundabout way we all kind of take care of each other still. But for most of the daily chores - laundry, vacuuming, icky bathroom cleaning, etc. - I'm on my own in that sense. Sometimes they make dinner, sometimes Boyfriend brings dinner, and sometimes I gotta make dinner.

So in some ways yes, and in others no.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    I think you are an adult when you're kicked out on yer arse and able to live homeless fer a couple years. Then build yerself up from the ground to the tippy top of a nice building. Then topple it over to see what it'll do. But I must say being a young'un was by far better than being an adult.

Years
    Let's see

I am legally, I am physically. So I guess yes I am an adult but no I'm not independent.

Sure I've got a job of sorts, I make my own money and I'm at university with set career plans in the future that I'll likely achieve. I own my own car and am responsible for it and I'm in a long-term relationship etc etc

I also live at home with my mother and sister, am terrible at managing my time, don't make enough to support myself, rarely cook and don't do nearly as much housework as I did a little while ago and to top it off still have to hide parts of my life like a child for the time being.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't really have a concept of anything-hood so I can't say. As far as I'm concerned I'm just living however I think I can get by, and always have done. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone observing would say I live like an adult.

Back