• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you taken the jump?

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Have you made the jump from standard definition to hd and dvd to bluray?

My family just recently set up blu rays throughout the house and got an hdtv. They're all good but what I really love is the tv. Playing games on it is amazing, because I can actually play the games in the highest quality they can be played and the tv also came with an hdmi cable which by itself improves the visuals plenty.

Now I'm gonna go on a blu ray binge and buy all my favorites to watch in glorious HD. 8)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I prefer .mkv personally.

I don't even have a TV, I watch everything on the computer.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011

When I download stuff I play it through my ps3 on my tv. I don't have a preferred file type but they're usually .avi dvd rips. I did get a blu ray rip once, it took forever to download, but was well worth the wait.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I watch things on the computer, so I've always been able to have whatever format and resolution I please.
    If I did have a television, it would be a black & white 3:2 with a VHS player, so no.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Yeah, I made the leap about two years ago, and have never looked back. Standard definition just can't satisfy me anymore lol

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I have an HD TV... But I dunno about DVD and bluray... I usually watch things on computer, so my parents just watch DVD...

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Nah, not yet. Honestly I don't see what makes it worth the extra money from looking at HD TVs in shops and friends' houses and all that. As long as I can make out a picture and there's decipherable sound, it's good enough for me! There are enough expenses for people to deal with anyway without adding another unnecessary one with HD TVs and that. Aren't blu-ray players and discs and all that more expensive too? Can't be worth it imo.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
    While my family didn't have much besides one HDTV (which we had for a couple years) in the living room beforehand, we moved to Alaska last year and took the "new house" chance to upgrade some things. Got a better HDTV (though my parents splurged and got one for their own room, too), a Bose media system for the den (which dad's been looking at forever), and a PS3 (Blu-Ray movies for the parents, games for me; two birds with one stone there).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My dad's always been somewhat of an early adopter. Had a CD player before most people did, got a DVD player... around 2000, I think? Maybe earlier than that, but I just remember being the only one of my friends who had one and I couldn't share my movies with them. We took a lot longer to make the jump to HD though... but dad settled on blu-ray and bought the family a PS3 the Christmas before HD-DVDs were announced obsolete, so I'm glad Sony picked blu-ray, haha.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Yep, I watch everything on my computer, so the higher definition I can get the better it is. (less blur and pixel stretching)
    So far, all of the movies I watch more than just occasionally are all Blu Rays as well as all new TV seasons going forward. I much prefer to have the disk and rip it myself to stream throughout my house than download it from someone I don't know.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years

uh high def movies can be encoded in mkv files. in fact if i recall correctly, dont quote me on this, mkv was invented so that video files of a large size could be re-encoded into a smaller capacity without losing much quality. i have several high definition movies in multi-gig mkv files.

DVK

Hack based-God
    Years
    everything i watch is on my laptop, and i also have blu-ray rips(i have 3 terabytes of external HDD space almost full with blu-ray rips) which i just plug into the tv to watch movies....

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Partially. We're all on HDTVs and 1920x1080 monitors, but... we don't have a Blu-Ray player. The HD content all comes from computer files that play on other devices.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Yeah, I made the leap about two years ago, and have never looked back. Standard definition just can't satisfy me anymore lol

Yup, pretty much what he said. My old Standard Definition TV broke, so we had to get a new one for our basement, and we got and HD TV a few months ago. I like HD so much more, and even if I have to sacrifice having no enlargement or black space on the TV while playing last-gen consoles or Wii, everything else looks so much better to me.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I got a PS3 about a year and a half ago and an HDTV last Christmas, so yeah, I've made the jump. HD gaming is glorious, HD movies are glorious, it makes me wish I did it sooner. A lot of my favorite shows and movies still aren't on blu-ray yet so I suppose I'll be building the viewing library for years to come. The only downside is that I no longer have room for my CRT set, which is still important for watching DVDs and playing previous-gen games because non-HD content looks absolutely horrible on an HD set. I have a ton of PS2 games sitting around unplayed because I want them to look the way they're supposed to look when I play them.

Years
    I took the cheaper route and got a Blu-Ray drive for my computer and our media centre PC. Even then, Blu-Rays are hard to manage and a massive pain to rip. I think I've watch about....5 Blu-Rays? I think when I can rip them without hassle, then I'll considering moving completely.

Chairman Kaga said:
    I have a ton of PS2 games sitting around unplayed because I want them to look the way they're supposed to look when I play them.
    If you have a computer with enough grunt, then you can emulate the PS2 games (straight off the disc) and force the Graphics plugins to render in your native resolution. I played through Kingdom Hearts at 1080p this way. It's stunning. :cer_nod: The ironic part is that the PS3 doesn't usually render at such a high res. :cer_laugh:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'm still way behind in terms of that part of technology. I have two HDTVs, but I have yet to own a Blu-Ray player. So, I have not made that jump just yet. Though I've watched a few movies in HD a few times with friends and it's so pretty. *_* I'm hoping to make the transition by the end of this year.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    No, I haven't made the jump. I still have a 13" TV from 1993 and a VHS recorder from 2005. The family has DVD palyers and all of our TV's save one are old box-style CRT ones.

I doubt I'll be switching to Blu-Ray any time soon since my favorite anime series are on DVD and are too niche to probably ever be re-released on Blu-Ray. Once I get the money I'd like to upgrade to a smaller HDTV, though.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    Yeah, I usually buy my stuff on Blu-ray if it is available in the format. I'm still okay with DVD though. If it's on tape I'll just buy it digitally or buy it and then torrent an .mp4 of it. (That's not that bad, I still bought the movie...)

Back