• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Haven't played Pokemon since Gold and Silver :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2014
    Hey guys, I'm new~ Found this site on google! Awesome site and forum design, and it looks like the community is helpful and friendly! ^_^

Just got a brand new 3DS XL I won from my work and I didn't have any games to play on it so I have a friend that lent me his Pokemon Y since he doesn't play it and is more pre-occupied with his PS4.

Anyway the game takes me back♥, love the new features and new pokemon. Just by reading around the forums, it looks like I'm so far behind in the Pokemon world.. with all the RNG, EV, and IV terminologies. xD It looks like things are more complex now and there's so many different things you can do to get your favourite pokemon.

Should I beat Pokemon Y first before I get into the complex side of things? What do you guys think?

And also if anyone wants to be my friend just add me :) I have to figure out where my 3DS friend code is first though lol.

Years
    Hey Yes I would just enjoy playing through the story first before looking into the more complex stuff. You will proberly enjoy it more that way.

Your friendcode is assessable on the 3DS menu if you touch the little squire orange smiley face then look under you mii.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Welcome back to the world of Pokemon!

Don't be intimidated. Things are fairly complex, but actually all the things you listed--RNG, EV's, and IV's--have existed since the beginning of Pokemon. You probably just never knew about them, and didn't really have to. So just take your time, and don't get overwhelmed. You can get by very easily without knowing the ins and outs of battling, breeding, and training.

But if you ever do need help or advice, we're always here!

I do recommend beating the main story before dabbling with breeding, IVs, and EVs. You don't even need to do any of that to beat the story so it's pretty much optional. n_n; But it is a great thing to try out post-game since you'll have lots more to do.. oh, and shiny Pokemon rates have been increased as well so you can also consider hunting for some shinies when you're bored. I've already gotten several.

Welcome to PokeCommunity, Jopei! All fans are welcome here be it new or long-time Pokemon fans so you'll fit in well. Have a blast posting around and getting to know everyone! :) You can post your friend code in our FC thread over at the X & Y board anytime as well; it's highly recommended if you're looking for ingame friends.

See you around and have a super time.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2014
    Thank you all for the kind welcome and advice! I found my friend code and will look for that thread to post.

Good to hear the rate for shinies increased! I think the only one I ever got was from the original Silver version. It was a random golden Ratata I found on tall grass. xD

Anyway I will try to beat the game so I can unlock things and catch up to y'all!

Back