• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

having a baby

Years
    As I have said, the method of the abortion does not affect whether it would be considered murder or not.
    Poisoning someone is as much murder as the most gruesome ways of killing someone.

The baby does not know what is going to happen to it. It lacks self-recognition until some point after birth; it doesn't even know it exists (though I suppose I could get existential here and ask who does know that). However, I won't argue that this knowledge (or lack thereof) is, in itself, relevant. Someone who has been hit with a shovel and knocked unconscious would not know if they were killed, either. The point I make is that the fetus lacks any human-like intelligence at all (and for most of the pregnancy, lacks any intelligence). A study that I happened across a while back (unfortunately, I can't find it now, so feel free to deny its existence) stated that chimpanzees were more intelligent than humans during the first few years of life. It wasn't until about 2 or 3 years old where the human children progressed past the chimps in terms of intelligence. I won't use this to argue that newborns might be killed (see further down about where I draw the line), but it does support my previous statement (that the fetus lacks a human-like intelligence).

If I had to draw a line as to what point I feel that it was tolerable to abort a fetus, I would draw it at the point where the fetus could be kept alive outside of the womb. I feel that's the least arbitrary point that I could pick for such a thing; if it can live outside of the womb, its brain has probably developed enough that it can feel pain on some instinctual level.

Actually it did. In the abortion (real) video, the child new what was coming because it felt its fortress being met, and moved around violently, and once it broke it tried its hardest to keep away from the instruments.

Years
    umm... is it safe to come out now? i haven't been here in a long time. Judging from the last comments ,i guess we're talking about our veiws of abortion. Yes i think it's killing. and don't some women regret what they did for the rest of their life?
    i think God sends the babies down here for a reason and we really shouldn't question why. Unless, seriously dire situations like rape or something. AM i making myself clear? i don't know. that's why i'm asking y'all.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Actually it did. In the abortion (real) video, the child new what was coming because it felt its fortress being met, and moved around violently, and once it broke it tried its hardest to keep away from the instruments.
    A bacteria, when prodded, will move in the other direction. We develop instincts far before we develop intelligence. However, I'd assume the linked video is a late-term abortion from your description; I am less tolerant of those.

Years
    A bacteria, when prodded, will move in the other direction. We develop instincts far before we develop intelligence. However, I'd assume the linked video is a late-term abortion from your description; I am less tolerant of those.

Okay, good, because those are about to be born in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i think God sends the babies down here for a reason and we really shouldn't question why. Unless, seriously dire situations like rape or something. AM i making myself clear? i don't know. that's why i'm asking y'all.
    I'm not religious. But to my understanding of Christianity, God knows all. With all due respect towards your faith, why would God create a human being if He (I use that pronoun loosely) knew it would just be aborted? And personally, I feel that the argument that "God's will is unfathomable and not to be questioned" is a cop-out. But...that's just one girl's opinion.

having a baby A bacteria, when prodded, will move in the other direction. We develop instincts far before we develop intelligence. However, I'd assume the linked video is a late-term abortion from your description; I am less tolerant of those.
    Yes, according to the description it was 28 weeks old.

The baby does in fact, know what's going to happen to it.

Like I said before, the necessary nerve pathways are not constructed enough for the fetus to feel pain until after at least 28 weeks. It's improbable that the baby knows what's coming, but at the point where its nervous system is developed enough, it most likely does feel pain. And like Twocows, that's where my opinion on abortion changes. However, if the situation inevitably resulted in an abortion in the third trimester, I pity the baby and the mother.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    If I ever knocked up a girl, I would help her take care of it. Idc what my parents would say.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    if you have a child what would you do will put it up for adoption or get an abortion. what do you think your mom and dad will do would they kick you out or what.

Touchy subject. I personally don't like either choice. I'd prefer adoption over abortion (I strongly oppose abortion, and that's another subject that I'm not going to spark) seeing that there are a lot of families that can't have their own children, but hey, that's not up to me.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Well if I got someone pregnant at this age, I'd let her decide, although I would try to persuade her not to keep it. Baby + GCSEs = Bad.

If by some freak of nature I got pregnant (or if I was a girl) I would get an abortion. It's cruel to bring a child into the world with parents that can't look after it and I think it would be incredibly hard to give up a baby once you've given birth to it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I remember 'Noodle saying something about "If God knew the kid would be aborted, why allow the kids in the first place," paraphrasing of course. My take on it is that even though He knows all even before it happens, He's given us all free will, and allows us to do whatever we want with what we're given, including the lives of other people. At any given time, you or I could, if we really wanted to, murder someone. Honestly, it would be easy if they didn't know what was coming. So, we have the ability to do what we want with what we have, including unborn children. It's simply our fault if we screw up, and I believe abortion is a moral crew-up.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Depending on the age of both me and the mother, the situation could change drastically. At the moment, for example, I'd most likely want her to either have an abortion or put the child up for adoption - it would be her choice in the end, of course - and if she decided to keep the child I would end up giving all the assistance raising them as I could.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
    I agree with this point more than anything.

Let me share a secret. I'm the product of a difficult pregnancy. When my mother was carrying me, I was given a 5% chance of survival, and she was given somewhere around 30%. Even though her doctor advised that she get me aborted, she refused. You could argue that she was being selfish because I know my mom and there's nothing she loves in this world more than being a mother. It wasn't an easy decision for her, and it was even harder for my dad to accept it. She went through with her pregnancy putting 100% faith in God, and lo and behold, I was born. I was undersized and had only one functional lung, but I was born. Now I may not be a shining example of happiness and joy today, but I am thankful for having life, knowing everything that my parents went through during my birth. I'm aware that I may be coming off a little like a Christian missionary, but my point is, you can't give up on a life, even if doctors tell you that it's a lost cause. Miracles do happen, and abortion is never the answer.

Totally awesome man. Praise God!

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    It's threads like these that make me feel like I'm too old to be here.

Since I have a relatively stable career, I'd just take care of him/her.

That was simple.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    Children are a burden, not only that, but I have some seriously bad problems that I inherited from my mum, and I don't ever want to have a child go through what I did as a young person. I'd avoid being pregnant at all costs. I don't hate kids, but honestly, there are people who shouldn't even think of having any, and I'm aware that I am one of those people. :3

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    I'd keep the baby.. I'm already older then my mom was when she had her first baby.. So as long as me and the baby are healthy she would be ok + She adores little babies.. She's already told me that if I ended up getting pregnant I could live with her and she'd help me out... I don't have a dad, he died 01 so I don't really know what he would say...

Back