• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hayao Miyazaki Fans

Kauai

New Look, New me ~ ;D
    Years
    Any other fans of this film making genius?

I was a Miyazaki fan before it was cool, by the way. :cool:

I just watched Ponyo today, it was epic. <3

My favorite remains Kikis Delivery Service, though. I've always loved something about the plot.
    [/Takayama FTW]

Last edited:

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
    YES. <3

I love his films like... omfg. <3 I love Ponyo and Totoro because those ones are soooo cute. I also like Howl's moving Castle and Spirited Away... Oh, and Castle in the Sky. <3

I'm like in LOVE with his films. 8D

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    He is a wonderful director and storyteller who deserves to be known as the genius of his kind. Really, his work's incomparable.

My first Miyazaki movie was Howl's Moving Castle, and it's still my favourite. Though I love all his other movies heaps too.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Any other fans of this film making genius?

I was a Miyazaki fan before it was cool, by the way. :cool:

I just watched Ponyo today, it was epic. <3

My favorite remains Kikis Delivery Service, though. I've always loved something about the plot.
    [/Takayama FTW]

Really when was that? When he made Lupin III, My Neighbor Totoro or maybe Laputa Castle in the Sky which came out long before you were born.

Anyway I do quite enjoy his work. Although some of his work now is getting a bit unoriginal. Now it just seems like he's recycling the same ideas(which isn't all bad). I guess I still enjoy his films.

Kauai

New Look, New me ~ ;D
    Years
    Really when was that? When he made Lupin III, My Neighbor Totoro or maybe Laputa Castle in the Sky which came out long before you were born.

Anyway I do quite enjoy his work. Although some of his work now is getting a bit unoriginal. Now it just seems like he's recycling the same ideas(which isn't all bad). I guess I still enjoy his films.

Touche, touche.

But I was a Miyazaki fan when I was like five, so thus before it was possible for me to grasp the concept of 'cool' and 'instyle'.

Even though admittedly back then it wasn't because of the 'art style' and 'engaging story lines'.

Does that count? :P

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Princess Mononoke is not only the work that got him famous, but the best movie of his collection and for me, all time. Second up comes Spirited Away, and after that, Castle in the Sky.

In French, though, they changed the name >> Since "Laputa" wouldn't have worked very well *imagines Spanish*

Beautiful music, beautiful animation, and for Princess Mononoke, beautiful moral.

Years
    Princess Mononoke is not only the work that got him famous, but the best movie of his collection and for me, all time. Second up comes Spirited Away, and after that, Castle in the Sky.
    Made him famous in the English speaking world, perhaps, but he had already done Totoro and Kiki, which were pretty well received, and Studio Ghibli already had a half dozen successes under its belt before Mononoke.

Mononoke was the first of his that I saw, and I loved it, but I still say Porco Rosso is his best. You can tell it was made with a lot of love. Not just anyone can make a movie about fascism with a pig as a main character and have it be so fun and meaningful.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Leader of the Hayao Miyazaki Fanclub here! xD

I absolutely love all his movies. My theme's Howls Moving Castle.
    Spirited Away's my all time favorite though ^.^

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I have all his movies except Ponyo. I will remedy that situation when the movie comes out on DVD here in the UK in June (I think).

My first was Castle in the Sky which I ordered on DVD from Japan (quite expensive I think). This was well before the movie was released on DVD in America.

I have two other of his movies on Japanese DVD. I bought the Japanese My Neighbout Totoro due to the fact that the American release was not in Widescreen. I also bought the Japanese (Asian?) release of Howl's Moving Castle as it was out there before the American release.

I have the first three decent (?) American DVD releases of Castle, Kiki and Spirited Away. I think the rest of my collection consists mostly of the UK releases.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Made him famous in the English speaking world, perhaps, but he had already done Totoro and Kiki, which were pretty well received, and Studio Ghibli already had a half dozen successes under its belt before Mononoke.

I actually dreamt about Kiki and knew all about it before I even saw it :| It was creepy. That's the second time that's happened (the first time was with "Zoom!" a book by Robert Munsch. I knew everything about the book before it was even written).

Totoro is awesommmmeee! Plotless, but awesome nonetheless!

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    Although some of his work now is getting a bit unoriginal. Now it just seems like he's recycling the same ideas(which isn't all bad).

You say that as if the anime industry as a whole isn't guilty of the very same thing.

I love me some Miyazaki, he's one of the few artists these days who really "gets it". He actually puts meaning into his work. One of the greatest artists of our time.

Aw, don't put so much stock into plot. Story and characters aren't really what matters in the end, especially with the way Miyazaki rolls; it's all about the meaning behind the events. Symbolism and all that tasty stuff.

tikki

Idiot Haunter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010

You can't tell me that when Mei went missing, you weren't clutching a pillow in a death grip and praying she was ok! ... Ok, so we all knew she was just fine, but I was still nearly crying out of relief when Satsuki found her. Totoro has a plot, but it's more gentle and subtle. What I love about Miyazaki's films is that he can take a plot or ideal that is so cliche and overdone and weave it into something spectacular and heart-warming. He's great because he realizes that the corniest messages in movies are often the most timeless.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    Kiki was my first of his films and the experience was magical :3

I doubt it will happen now thanks to Burton, but I always wanted him to take a shot at doing Alice in Wonderland.

Team_SJK

Son of Arceus
    Years
    Yeah, I could consider myself to be a die-hard Hayao Miyazaki fan. Princess Mononoke alone ignited the passion that I presently have for feature-length anime. Two other favorites of mine are Castle In The Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which are both excellent animes from the mid 1980s.

Back