• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Headphones or Earbuds?

Headphones or Earbuds?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    What do you like better Headphones or Earbuds?

Personally I like Headphones, they are much more comfortable (and awesome ).

What about you?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I'm one of those guys who always has his headphones on or around his neck when he's out. SO yeah, headphones. Plus they're better for your ears than earbuds, as long as you don't put them louder.

Years
    I like headphones better. While I do see them being more clunky to carry around, in the long run your hearing will be better than if you wear earbuds which is all I really care about.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Earbuds are easier for me because I wear a lot of those animal hats. Plus, headphones tend to irritate and rub against my ears. I'm not really sure why I like earphones, actually. I just do. *shrug* Am I the only one that likes them though? O______O

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    I don't like earbuds.Headphones are better because it is easier to carry and have a good sound clarity.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    headphones because I'd rather the music not be forced INTRUSIVELY into my ear canal. plus headphones are far more comfortable, if you get ones that aren't awful. and there's more of a range of sound which I have no evidence to back up but from my experience it's always been the case.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
    Definitely headphones. I really hate earbuds, they hurt my ears a lot, they always fall out of my ears, they need to be cleaned if you don't want them to look and be disgusting, and the sound quality has never sounded quite right when I use buds.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Just for reference, I own these two right now:

SoundMagic PL11
    Headphones or Earbuds?

and JVC HA-S500
    Headphones or Earbuds?

lol no those blue inner cups aren't a part of it. mine are black. the ones in the image are custom ones. just saiyan~

And, additionally, possess/have possessed in the past, these devices:
    Sennheiser CX180 (earbuds)
    Sennheiser HD180 (Headset)
    Phillips SHE3590 (earbuds)
    iBall Rocky (Headset)

In terms of audio quality, it'd be something like this:
    JVC HA-S500 > SoundMagic PL11 > Sennheiser CX180 > Phillips SHE3590 > Sennheiser HD180 > iBall Rocky

So, Headset > Earbud > Earbud > Earbud > Headset > Headset. All falling in the same price bracket of $10-20. With the exception of the reigning champion JVC HA-S500 which costed me $39+ (it was a Christmas gift from my beloved bestie Jo <3 Better known here as Fairy. LOVE YA JO!!!).

I don't like earbuds.Headphones are better because it is easier to carry and have a good sound clarity.
    It is much easier to carry my PL11 earbuds around than my headset. Look at them above. Which one do you think would be easier to carry with you? I can put my earbuds in my pocket. Can't do that with the big guy. Also, sound clarity generally depends on the kind of earbud you possess. If you buy a $5 earbud or the ones you get for free with mobiles and compare them to some headphone you bought for a higher price then ofc they won't sound as good. :p

For example, I have a Sennheiser HD180 that costed me a little more than $10. And these PL11 earbuds costed me a little less than that. Even then, the sound quality on my PL11 is far, FAR superior. The clarity and sound quality differ with models so you can't exactly say that that's true for every case.

Ear buds are too small, hurt me ear, and the sound leaks out really bad. No thanks I don't want people hearing whatever I am doing.
    Sound doesn't leak out if you're using in-ear earphones. They provide a great deal of noise isolation, to boot. Hurting ears - well, that's fair enough I guess.

headphones because I'd rather the music not be forced INTRUSIVELY into my ear canal. plus headphones are far more comfortable, if you get ones that aren't awful. and there's more of a range of sound which I have no evidence to back up but from my experience it's always been the case.
    Like I pointed out earlier, as far as range of sound is concerned, an earbud can possibly do more as you go higher up the price chart. I think my PL11 covers a great range for an earphone its price and is even comparable to my headset for the most part. Headsets definitely give me a lot more bass response though. Like, much better. But you can't expect a skull-thumping bass response from a pair of earphones, can you? As far as clarity goes, I think sound clarity comparable to headsets is more or less achievable.

Headsets being better for your ear in general in the long run is an aspect I'd agree with you on, though.

Definitely headphones. I really hate earbuds, they hurt my ears a lot, they always fall out of my ears, they need to be cleaned if you don't want them to look and be disgusting, and the sound quality has never sounded quite right when I use buds.
    I used to face the problem of 'em falling out of my ears quite a lot. But IEMs usually don't if you put em in properly. Mine almost never falls out. :p

As for what I prefer - Well, depends.
    If I'm in college or going out on a walk - Earbuds. Much more easier to carry around. Provide great isolation too.
    If in mood for some headbanging or for some peace at home - Headset. Also, since bass response is more and I'm a bass-freak, I prefer my headset whenever I wanna listen to tracks to "enjoy" music more thoroughly. :p

Although, if my headsets were as easy to carry around as my earbuds, I'd probably go with my headset at all times too. So I guess I prefer headsets in general.

Last edited:
    Years
    Headphones usually give you a better sound and tend to be more comfortable.
    But I find earplugs more convenient on the go in most cases. Easier to just stuff into your bag. Also you can choose to only just one side in case you want to pay attention to something besides your music. They're also usually cheaper.

Sooo I gotta say both. Depends on the situation.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Probably earbuds because they're so convenient in terms of carrying them, plus I usually go for the more expensive ones because I looooove the bass blasting in my inner ear parts. :P

Years
    Headphones for me, which have better sound and the fact earbuds tend to fall out of my ears literally every single time.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I prefer earbuds, but I have never owned earphones, so I wouldnt know haha. Ear buds are just so easy to take in and out, and more convenient for me. Plus, they are pretty cheap lol.

Years
    For normal use I would far rather have headphones. I have this wireless headset that I use whenever I'm at my desktop, it's light enough and padded enough that it actually doesn't hurt my head or ears whatsoever. Only problem is that I have to be careful when bending over or anything because they have the tendency to slide right off my head, but hey. Small price to pay for having the freedom to walk anywhere around the apartment with them.

I have earbuds for my tablet and for the rare times I actually use my mp3 player, though. The tablet doesn't seem to take my headset (it's a usb headset), and if I have my mp3 player then I'm out in places where having the smaller earbuds is easier to deal with. They're cheap earbuds, but they actually have pretty good sound - not quite as good as the headset, but still pretty good.

So basically: headphones for normal use, earbuds for whenever I use my tablet.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Earbuds have never stayed in my ears, no matter what I do with them. So I always use headphones. Even while out traveling, I get the folding pair of headphones so they can become compact and easier to carry.

The one downside to headphones is that they tend to hurt the outer shell of my ears after a while, especially now that I don't wear them all the time. But by the time my ears start to hurt, it's usually time for me to stop listening to music and move on to the next activity.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    earbuds if i'm out somewhere and headphones for at home usage. i use the apple earpods which i believe have a pretty decent shape and some gucci chime for change headphones (came with some cologne).

lately i find myself using earphones over headphones since i got my second ear piercing and headphones press the backs of my earrings into my head.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Earbuds, definitely. I find headphones to be too heavy for my ears, so whenever I use them, my ears just end up hurting.

Years
    ^ If they're too heavy for your ears, you're probably using a pair not designed for comfort. Granted, the higher end ones aren't as practical for workouts.

Headphones by a mile. I never liked earbuds because of the way they felt, and I got used to headphones before earbuds became popular enough that they weren't just bundled with high-end devices like the iPod (I had my first portable CD player at age 11 in the year the iPod debuted, iirc).

I've got higher quality headphones and lower quality, easier for travel headphones. Granted, the "higher quality" ones only ran me $30, and the lower quality ones were $15 last time I had to buy any back in early 2013.

The lower quality ones are Sony MDR-G45s, a really cheap and reliable pair that I've been using consistently for somewhere around 6 or 7 years ago when I first came across them. They're a good cheap pair of headphones, though after a few hours your ears will start hurting from them (they're not designed for extremely long usage times; they're designed for an hour or two of working out). I'm on my 5th or 6th pair because I abuse them and keep breaking them and/or losing them.

I'll post the model of my "higher quality" pair later. EDIT: Apparently the model's not stamped on them anywhere.

I also do have a Turtle Beach gaming headset and a cheap Logitech headset, but I don't remember the models and I don't use those for music listening unless I can't find either of my primary pairs. Neither of those are wireless.

TL;DR: I prefer headphones by a mile for comfort reasons as well as what I got exposed to and used to first.

Last edited:
    Back