• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold QoL hacks?

Tert

King of the Soaps
Days
  • Hi! First time posting on this part of the forums, so sorry if this question seems a bit uncouth to ask. I was wondering if there are any hacks/patches available for HeartGold that allow for a few things akin to another patch that I played recently to death. The experience of vanilla HGSS was fine, but I got tired of the grinding after a while, the game sometimes feels like it requires it for almost everything.

Thus, I was seeking out a patch to add a patch that not only changes this curve, but adds some QoL improvements (i.e. overworld hms, reusable tms/repels, re-enabled features, possibly even changes to make all pokemon catchable in one hack) but also has some post-game expansion too, notably being able to go out of my way and catch some of the out-of-region legendaries/mythicals in special areas akin to PlatinumQoL. I already know HGSS's postgame is massive, being literally all of Kanto, but I do like the possibility of being able to do these things so that I can play this game for a long, long time.

Thank you for any submissions in advance!
    P.S.: I did try HeartGold: Golden Edition, it's fine so far but I feel like it's not exactly what I'm looking for on the dot. Great hack, but is just a touch off from what im trying to find.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I'd also like to see one of these, but everything I've found goes too far from vanilla. The main things I'd want would be reusable TMs/repels, forgettable HMs, catchable version exclusives, and hopefully ways to use overworld HM moves without using move slots at all.

Anything that rebalances the game, in my opinion, isn't a QOL hack. I don't want to see movesets updated from newer generations or rebalanced level curves or anything of that sort. Just stuff that smooths out the out-of-battle experience of Gen 4.

Tert

King of the Soaps
    Days
  • I'd also like to see one of these, but everything I've found goes too far from vanilla. The main things I'd want would be reusable TMs/repels, forgettable HMs, catchable version exclusives, and hopefully ways to use overworld HM moves without using move slots at all.

Anything that rebalances the game, in my opinion, isn't a QOL hack. I don't want to see movesets updated from newer generations or rebalanced level curves or anything of that sort. Just stuff that smooths out the out-of-battle experience of Gen 4.
    This is exactly what I was hoping for as well. Rebalancing older games, in my opinion, feels kind of weird when the rest of the game is still the same. I do prefer some level curve changes to accomodate for long playtime sessions and general enjoyment, but sometimes I feel like Johto's biggest problem IS that curve. Sinnoh's games seem to be fine without any tweaks, as I've gone through it without any problems whatsoever.

Maybe instead of a level curve it could be modified XP values? I'm not sure how difficult it is to modify battle XP gains, but maybe they could be multiplied by a small amount ONLY FOR WILD BATTLES to make the game just a BIT more bearable for grinding sessions. The forgettable HMs thing doesn't bug me that much when in combination with the overworld HMs, since you're only really going to be using them when absolutely needed to (i.e. if an HM absolutely needs to be activated on a pokemon)

Specifically for a Johto hack, I'd also like to see a modified Safari Zone. Not sure what changes I'd make other than making the Block system accelerate its point value by the passed minute/hour instead of the day (if possible).

Also, maybe some extra areas tucked away in places that unlock after obtaining the National Dex.Small little holes or doors in places that make sense that would contain all of the Legendaries and Mythicals akin to a 493 hack (i.e. Jirachi or Mew in the Ruins of Alph, the event islands from Gen 3, Celebi at the Ilex Forest shrine, the Regis in Mt. Mortar (Rock), the Seafoam Islands (Ice) and the Power Plant or the Cliff Cave (Steel)). Also, maybe the mons that didn't make it in could be added via the Hoenn/Sinnoh Sounds? That would be pretty cool in my opinion.

Jeez, maybe I should learn how to make a ROM-Hack, lol.

Back