• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold Team Plan

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
  • Here's my planned team for my next run of HG.

Feraligatr (Male), Naughty @Muscle Band
    252atk/ 252def/ 4hp or spe
    Torrent
    Waterfall
    Crunch
    Ice Fang
    Superpower

Went for Naughty Nature because I might have Surf on it for the majority of the main storyline, since it doesn't learn Superpower until level 63. Therefor, a Sp.Atk Dropping nature would hurt me, and Gatr's Sp. Def isn't that good anyway. As for EVs, I'm leaning more toward giving some to HP rather than Speed, since Speed is one of Gatr's lowest stats. But at the same time, I already have EVs in Defense, and giving some to HP would be made even more redundant because of the Sp. Def dropping Nature.

Ampharos (Female), Modest @Leftovers
    252 Sp Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Def
    Static
    Thunderbolt/Discharge
    Thunder Wave
    Power Gem
    Signal Beam/Focus Blast

I put 4 defense evs because it would help to balance out it's defense stats since Physical Defense is lower. Tbolt/Discharge is obvious, Thunder Wave to help against faster foes, Power Gem for coverage, and same for the last move. Signal beam has a higher accuracy, but as for focus blast... a lot of Ground types are also rock type....

Victreebell (Male), Naughty @Scope Lens
    252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
    Clorophyll
    Swords Dance
    Leaf Blade
    Sleep Powder
    Return

Yeah I wasn't really sure with this one. But I've never used a Victreebell before so yeah, why not?

Umbreon (Female), Relaxed @Leftovers
    252 Def/ 252 Sp Def/ 4 Spd
    Synchronize
    Toxic
    Protect
    Payback
    Moonlight

I had no clue on the nature, so if someone could help me out here, that would be awesome, and you would get a cookie. It only has one attacking move, but this isn't meant to dish out too much damage. It's meant as a support/wall.

Heracross (Male), Adamant @Toxic Orb/Burn Orb
    252 Atk/ 130 HP/ 130 Def/ 4 Spd
    Guts
    Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Aerial Ace
    Rock Slide

Obviously, quite a few of these moves and items will be unobtainable to me before the E4, but I'll have them by the time I get to Red. I'm gonna be searching a long time for this though....

Charizard (Male), Modest @Wiseglasses
    252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
    Blaze
    Flamethrower
    Dragon Pulse
    Air Slash
    Focus Blast

Obviously Specially based, Shame I'm gonna have to have a fly slave though. For anyone who's wondering, I'll probably be trading over a Charmander from a SS ROM on my R4i.

Note to Mods: Just so there's no confusion, despite the presence of EVs, specific abilities, and Competetive Battling Items, this is an in-game team. I just decided I'd try something a little different.

Last edited:

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Victreebel wants Sleep Powder, and I guess Return. It doesn't have a lot of options either way.

Either Bold (+Def, -SpAtk) or Calm (+SpDef, -SpAtk) Natures would be best on Umbreon. You could also try Payback as its attacking move, since Umbreon is fairly slow. Or you could give it the Lagging Tail to ensure Umbreon goes last and you'd always get Payback's power doubled that way.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Okay, thanks. I'll edit the first post in a bit. Do you think it's good otherwise? And if I do use Payback, would a Speed dropping nature be a good idea?

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    Ferraligatr
    Very good not much to change but go wth the hp EVs
    Ampharos
    I love ampharos though it won't be in the battle long because its a special sweeper so you won't need leftovers instead replace it with wide lens and teach it focus blast and thunderbolt
    Victreebel
    ...hmmmmm
    Umbreon
    Trick room instead of protect
    Heracross
    not my pokemon of choice but i think it needsearthquake instead of rock slide
    Charizard
    Very good charizard best one i've seen no changes

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Ampharos
    I love ampharos though it won't be in the battle long because its a special sweeper so you won't need leftovers instead replace it with wide lens and teach it focus blast and thunderbolt

Ampharos is a brilliant pokemon, one of my favourites too - but it certainly isn't intended for use as a sweeper (unless risking the use of quick claw). Ampharos has a base speed of only 50, and it's health and defences are relatively much better - seems like its designed to last. I'm sure it could be used for either though. :)

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Ferraligatr
    Very good not much to change but go wth the hp EVs
    Ampharos
    Victreebel
    ...hmmmmm
    Umbreon
    Trick room instead of protect
    Heracross
    not my pokemon of choice but i think it needsearthquake instead of rock slide
    Charizard
    Very good charizard best one i've seen no changes

I didn't intend for Ampharos to be a sweeper. I intended for it be a Tank, hence the leftovers and HP EVs. I do plan to go with Thunderbolt, but I have no garuntees on when I'll be able to get it, so that's why I have Discharge written down as well.

Trick room would kinda defeat the purpose of Payback on Umbreon (I recently edited that in due to a suggestion by Jab in case you didn't see that) and Protect actually works very well when paired with Toxic.

As for Heracross, I understand your reasoning behind earthquake (powerful, defeats Fire types), but I had Rock Slide there for covering it's insane weakness to Flying Types. Yeah it's a little less powerful than Earthquake but it also beats Fire types and with a 252 Attack EVs, not to mention Heracross's beastly base Attack AND Adamant Nature, I'm sure the 10 Base power difference won't matter much. And to top it off, it can make foes flinch! So unless there's some glaring reason why Earthquake would be better than Rock Slide, I'll just stick with Rock Slide.

As for Victreebell, if there is another Grass type someone would highly reccomend, let me know and I'll consider it.

Back