• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Helioptile theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    (NOTE) This is just a theory I came up with myself, NOT fact.

So as many of you should know, Game Freak have recently revealed 4 new Pokemon that will be appearing in there next pair of games: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. Among these new Pokemon is an adorable little lizard named Helioptile.

The idea for this Pokemon is to be a grass type that's actually an electric type... What this means is that we are likely to see much of the draining and healing we see in grass types in an electric type, it even comes equipped with a new move called parabola charge with drains health in a similar way to giga drain. it is likely to be based on the spotted salamander (a type of salamander that can photosynthesize).

What I find most peculiar about this new Pokemon is it's type: Electric/Normal. According to Bulbapedia it is the first secondary normal type... Or is it? Excluding Normal/Flying there have only ever been 5 Dual-type normal Pokemon, (Girafarig, Bibarel, Deerling, Sawsbuck and Meloetta) all of them have been very normal type-like, but Helioptile does not look like much of a normal type, so why the second type? What if it's a place holder for another type? A new type. When new types are speculated by far the most common idea that pops up is the Light type. If there was to be a Light type then Helioptile being a Light type Pokemon would make perfect sense.

Helioptile can conduct photosynthesis which is the process that turns light into chemical energy. Helios means the sun.

Many people argue that the type chart is already perfect so there is no need for a new type,I disagree. I think there could be more super effectives against fighting and dark, maybe even psychic. Poison could do with something to dominate over.

That's all the ideas I have for now, I'll update this thread if anything else comes to me.

If you have your own theories on the matter please comment them below.

If you wish to contest my theory, point out why I am wrong in every imaginable way below. (I love a good argument.)

MetaCurry

Last edited:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
    The revelation of the Fairy type makes this argument somewhat invalid.

Previous games would release the Japanese names first, which would then be directly translated into English by fans, and then the official English name at a later date. In that case, Fairy would be the direct translation and would probably change in the official English version, which would make it entirely possible that it would be the Light type in the official English version. However, considering Nintendo's attempts to release X and Y at the same time around the world, I have a feeling that Fairy will be the official English name for the type and that it will not change.

Is it possible that Game Freak and Nintendo could add in a second type that is the Light type? Yes, definitely. I don't think it's likely, however. It would be a big change to the structure of the game, and I think the addition of two types in Generation II was a big risk. It paid off, but it was risky.

But then again, I'm not even sure if the Fairy type is official yet. It may be disproven, and thus make this post completely irrelevant, but until then I can act smug about it. c:

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think Helioptile is more likely to evolve into an Electric/Dragon type really. It's a lizard after all, it wouldn't be that far off to suggest it might become a dragon type.

I don't see it being Electric/Light because if "Light" does become a new type it won't be the kind of light you're talking about. It looks more likely it will be light as in Fairy or goodness.

Now that they've had a test run with Zekrom they're probably already comfortable with the combination.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    It's not a bad theory. Not a bad one at all. However...
    The revelation of the Fairy type makes this argument somewhat invalid.

But then again, I'm not even sure if the Fairy type is official yet. It may be disproven, and thus make this post completely irrelevant, but until then I can act smug about it. c:
    The Fairy type is still just a rumor and nothing more. It's still a possibility though.

I think Helioptile is more likely to evolve into an Electric/Dragon type really. It's a lizard after all, it wouldn't be that far off to suggest it might become a dragon type.

I don't see it being Electric/Light because if "Light" does become a new type it won't be the kind of light you're talking about. It looks more likely it will be light as in Fairy or goodness.

Now that they've had a test run with Zekrom they're probably already comfortable with the combination.
    I, too, thought of Helioptile evolving into an Electric/Dragon type on its second (or third?) stage. Then again, that's even if it has an evolution at all.

Sabrewulf brings up a lot of good points. In particular, the the last two. If a "Light" type is introduced it may not be the kind of "Light' people are expecting. GameFreak has had a multitude of chances to introduce something as easily fit as a Light type, but ever since Gen II introduced Dark types, they've had yet to do so. Even in Fifth Gen, when it would have been prime opportunity to do so, they gave it a pass or probably didn't even think twice about it.

I'm open to the possibility of a new type being introduced, but I'm just not so sure on its being a Light type as a lot of people are badgering for.

If you wish to discuss either of these two things by the way, Helioptile or speculation of a new type, then you can use the threads "May CoroCoro! Four New Pokémon Revealed!!" for the former and "An introduction of new types...?" for the latter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back