• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Best coding to design games?

I was wondering, which would be the best coding i could use to design a game?

I wanted to try to make a multiplayer online pokemon game..

I was also wondering how long would it take to design a game like that?

I'm not going to try to design a multiplayer game first, maybe a simple racing game...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    I personally use a program called BYOND, which I think is pretty good if you're looking to design a 2D game. It's a gigantic community with tons of games already, an in depth help guide, and is pretty easy to use. I think the coding is called DM. Games can take anywhere from a day to a year, depending on your speed of programming, attention to detail, type of game, etc. Anyway, here's BYOND; here

I personally don't know of very many other engines, so I just use that~

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Um, if you're looking for languages, then I'll go ahead and list the ones I've looked at + used.

SDL / C/C++, OpenGL with SDL, Delphi, VC++.NET, Java.

They all work to an extent.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    SDL/OpenGL are libraries, not languages. Either way, when you first get involved in the business of game making, you shouldn't have any over-expectations about what you can accomplish first. Build some small projects and build up your knowledge from there by reflecting on your work and also paying attention to what the community thinks about your coding. Game Maker is an excellent program that allows you to make games. The GMC (the Game Maker Community) is very helpful toward any questions you might have if you need help starting out, but the manual is usually a good place to start off anyway.

Years
    SDL/OpenGL are libraries, not languages. Either way, when you first get involved in the business of game making, you shouldn't have any over-expectations about what you can accomplish first. Build some small projects and build up your knowledge from there by reflecting on your work and also paying attention to what the community thinks about your coding. Game Maker is an excellent program that allows you to make games. The GMC (the Game Maker Community) is very helpful toward any questions you might have if you need help starting out, but the manual is usually a good place to start off anyway.

Yeah i used gm, before but only the demo version of it.. It seems impossible to create a pokemon game engine off of it though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Yeah i used gm, before but only the demo version of it.. It seems impossible to create a pokemon game engine off of it though.

The GMC has a myriad of examples of a Pokemon Game Engine. Find the one that best suits you.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
    Quick Q: In RPG Maker XP I set my water auto tiles to semi transparent colors (Water portions) andy way when test playing it flickers between the color and the transparencies........ How do I fix this so that it stays semi transparent. I want it to have the tint of blue but appear as if its crystal clear water.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    Quick Q: In RPG Maker XP I set my water auto tiles to semi transparent colors (Water portions) andy way when test playing it flickers between the color and the transparencies........ How do I fix this so that it stays semi transparent. I want it to have the tint of blue but appear as if its crystal clear water.

This happens only if you set transparencies to autotiles that have more than one frame (i.e. they are animated like the Ocean tiles). If you have an autotile that you don't want to animate (like Lake) then just make it one frame and it won't flicker. I have the same problem too and I don't know a way around it to fix it. I guess it's just one of the bug when using the starter kit.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    Your question is meaningless, though. What do you want help with? Pokémon Essentials? Because that already has all the pokémon included in it, and there's no distinction between "starter pokémon" and "all other pokémon" there.

If your question is, "How do I give the player a choice of three pokémon, of which they can choose one to take?", then there's an example of exactly this in the test "game" that comes with Pokémon Essentials.

sorry about that i coan't find that i've searched in the entire pacage but i'll probable re download it but hank you.

Speedy G32

Co-Founder of Net Labs Inc.
    Years
    Excuse me but may I please have some help with my game I added the part where you cant get out of the town you start in without getting a pokemon first. I get a pokemon and it still says U need to get a pokemon first. I copied everything the same way as the one they made on poke Essentials. I even changed their names so that no event was the same and still its not working thanx for the help. I'm not really good at explaining sorry PM me if you dont understand

Rakki-neko

Zakki Orichalcum
    Years
    I'm sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't want to sift through all 28 pages looking for it (I did look through the first 4 to make sure it wasn't in the first ones)

I'm making a game, Pokemon Orichalcum (misspelled banner with link in my signature :D), on RMXP with Poccil's Pokemon Essentials kit. I was wondering if I can have help programing some new parts to it:

1. I would like to add two new weather effects (Dawn and Dusk) for in battle effected moves (I mean like Sunny Day and Hail and so on)

2. If I can program new abilities into the game, especially the 4 gen. abilities not added in already, like Snow warning or Bad Dreams.

3. How would you get a pokemon like castform to change type and appearance in a rain storm or in a sunny day, or so on.

4. How would you get attacking moves like Return to work (moving the actually pokemon sprite)?

So can someone either help me out or point me in the right direction to find this help if it was posted somewhere else.

Last edited:

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
    Excuse me but may I please have some help with my game I added the part where you cant get out of the town you start in without getting a pokemon first. I get a pokemon and it still says U need to get a pokemon first. I copied everything the same way as the one they made on poke Essentials. I even changed their names so that no event was the same and still its not working thanx for the help. I'm not really good at explaining sorry PM me if you dont understand

You will have to have an event for this I used 2 different events. Thre is a youngster that blocks the exit to the first town unless you have a pokemon. When you get the pokemon it activates a switch when you activate that switch it deletes the event that blocks the way and adds the other event using the same chara who allows you to pass now. Talk to me in PM and Ill help you set it up

Years
    First off, I don't know whether I should laugh at your username or not...lol.

Now, like the guy before you said, post in the Emulation section. This is Game Development, and you're looking for ROM Hacking...

Maybe this section should have "NOT HACKING" in the title...

EDIT: A request: does anyone have the Background FRLG used for when you entered the Tanoby Ruins on Seven Island? The background rips over on the Spriter's Resource is missing that one, and I need it for the Ruins of Alph in my game.

Not sure if you still need it but here it is.
    Help and Requests

Birdybot

-insert witty phrase here-
    Years
    The game I am currently attempting to make will have Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and a new region in it. See where I'm getting to?

To do this, I need coding. If any of you are a super-amazing coder, could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me the codes which would allow a new PC system which means there is a different system for each region until you defeat the champion, then it merges into the previous region's PC? So, for example, you've just defeated the champion of the Kanto region. To go to the Johto region, you're only allowed to take one Pokémon with you (don't worry, I have this figured out) and when you get there, you can't acess any of your Kanto Pokémon until you either go back or defeat the Champion of the Johto region?

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    I am looking for the animated menu icons for Diamond and Pearl as shown below.
    Help and Requests

Basically they show grey until you highlight over them, then they animate with color. Anyone know where I can get rips of these icons?

Dialga812

The crusade marches on.
    Years
    umm can sumone help me... i need a tools that can change
    the text and all that please ....ohh please the one that easy to use
    if possible
    :cer_smile:many thanks in advance :cer_smile:
    :cer_love::cer_love::cer_love:​

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    there are no tools here only pokemon essaintials you know why beccause THIS PLACE IS !NOT FOR HACKS!

goteamrocket!

noob_game_maker_sorta
    Years
    help plz

i have rg maker xp with pokestarter and im trying to work out the scripting for using key items in the field ie using an s.s. ticket in order to get on a boat or a squirt bottle to squirt a Sudowoodo etc can anyone help with a scripting example?

i should explain more i think...i have-
    Conditional Branch:Script:Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(::PBItems::LABKEY) with the desired effect of unlocking a door that is otherwise locked without a lab key in the key items pocket.
    i have an action button trigger on the door with that script and thats as far as i can get...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back