• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • I have a small question. What would be the most effective way to make more than four choices on the 'show choices' command set?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    lx_theo:

1: I can't visualize what you are trying to achieve with "stacking text extries" this way. Please explain in greater detail or show an example.

2: According to the Notes for Pokemon Essentials: "Pokemon Essentials includes a utility (expandtext.exe) for expanding the Show Text, Script, Comment, and Batch Text Entry dialog boxes of RPG Maker XP. After starting RPG Maker XP, simply start expandtext.exe (it will run only if RPG Maker XP is running). Then, the aforementioned dialog boxes will be expanded considerably to give you more room to enter text, scripts, and comments. In particular, the Show Text box will be expanded to four lines instead of just three. The Pokemon Essentials editor will also run expandtext.exe automatically."

Thanks

1. Maybe this will get it a better image. Imagine these quote boxes like Text boxes made on screen.

Each has its own condition for being shown
    If that condition is filled, that box will appear
    When they are active, they appear stacked like these are
    They naturally appear after the previous one no matter how many are active before it
    To make it reasonable to see all of them at once (necessary for what I want to do), they would also need to have some sort of scroll feature or something to make that possible

2. Thanks, I never noticed that.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Anyone have a folder of all the HGSS Pokemon back sprites? I found one but all of the images are centered which makes them unusuable. I need them positioned at the bottom of the image instead of centered.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Im having some probs,is there a tut that i can read that can allow me to take the tiles from one game like FR and use them in another like emerald?
    I kno as far as clicking the puzzle piece on AM but choosing the pallets and everything there i get lost :S!
    That's a ROM hacking question. This isn't the ROM hacking section; it's the game development section.

Thanks

1. Maybe this will get it a better image. Imagine these quote boxes like Text boxes made on screen.
    Isn't this simply having several "show text" event lines one after the other?

Anyone have a folder of all the HGSS Pokemon back sprites? I found one but all of the images are centered which makes them unusuable. I need them positioned at the bottom of the image instead of centered.
    You can't do it yourself? And if you're using them in Essentials, there's an option to raise or lower each species' back sprite by X pixels, so you could solve it that way.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • pkmn.master:

In Pokemon Essentials, there is a message command called "\ch", which supports more than four message commands. More information is found in the Notes for Pokemon Essentials.

Thanks, but how would I get it to do something when a certain choice is chosen?Say if I use 5 as a number to store to the chosen option. How would I get a show text from the command window,for example, to show up if choice 1 is selected?

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Isn't this simply having several "show text" event lines one after the other?

I don't think so. That usually causes it to move to another section of text in the set place for the text. Unless there's a script command I don't know of that works in that way, then I'm almost sure it doesn't.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Thanks, but how would I get it to do something when a certain choice is chosen?Say if I use 5 as a number to store to the chosen option. How would I get a show text from the command window,for example, to show up if choice 1 is selected?

The notes didn't have a fuller example, unfortunately. I'm just about to add it.

The following is a complete example that shows how an event can do different things depending on the choice the player chose. Note that conditional branches are used that check the value of the stored variable.
    Code:
    @>Comment: Store choice in variable 1 and 
        :    store the value -1 if the player cancels.
    @>Text: Please choose one.\ch[1,-1,Choice 1,Choice 2]
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == -1
      @>Text: The choice was canceled.
      @>
     : Branch End
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 0
      @>Text: Choice 1 was chosen.
      @>
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 1
      @>Text: Choice 2 was chosen.
      @>
    In the following example, the player must make a choice.
    Code:
    @>Comment: Store choice in variable 1.
    @>Text: Please choose one.\ch[1,0,Choice 1,Choice 2]
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 0
      @>Text: Choice 1 was chosen.
      @>
    @>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 1
      @>Text: Choice 2 was chosen.
      @>

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Help and Requests

Could someone please rip this part from R/S or Emerald if that looks better. Turn it into an animation and pm me it. Will be really appreciated :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2010
    okay well ive remade and resized several of my maps ive made map connections on them for example to leave pallet town and go to route 1 but when i try to leave my house the screen just goes black instead of warping me to my remade map the warps are working fine when i remove map connections but without the map connections i cant get to my other maps outside of the house can anyone tell me a possible way to fix this?

キラキラ

KiraKira
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    I'm having trouble with autotiles not displaying correctly...

Here is the map in the editor...
    Help and Requests

And here is the map when running the game.
    Help and Requests
    Autotiles are black and Pokemon can walk on the water tiles.
    Also, the trees on the border are able to be walked through...

The permissions are the same as the rest of the tiles, so what could be wrong?

Last edited:

Klofkac

He's back!
    Years
  • I'm having trouble with autotiles not displaying correctly...

Here is the map in the editor...
    Help and Requests

And here is the map when running the game.
    Help and Requests
    Autotiles are black and Pokemon can walk on the water tiles.
    Also, the trees on the border are able to be walked through...

The permissions are the same as the rest of the tiles, so what could be wrong?
    You may have in options "Map wiew - Original". Try set it to "Custom"

Years
  • Technically this isn't a help question, but more of a can-I-have-some-advice question. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it, and I didn't want to make a thread about it, so I guess here is the best spot.

I want to create a Pokemon fangame, but I'm really bad at making graphics. Is there a way/program that could help me become better at spriting? (Note that I'm trying to make as many of my own pokemon as possible, so just finding already-made graphics and putting them into the game isn't what I'm looking for.)

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Technically this isn't a help question, but more of a can-I-have-some-advice question. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it, and I didn't want to make a thread about it, so I guess here is the best spot.

I want to create a Pokemon fangame, but I'm really bad at making graphics. Is there a way/program that could help me become better at spriting? (Note that I'm trying to make as many of my own pokemon as possible, so just finding already-made graphics and putting them into the game isn't what I'm looking for.)

Just use paint or photoshop.

Do you have a scanner? If you do, your best bet would be to sketch it on paper, scan it, then trace over it in pixels in whatever image software you are going to use.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Whenever I play m game the hero is always above everything. I don't know how to fix that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back