• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Help: Japanese gold version

Years
    Hi!'
    I just bought "poketto monsutaa kin," the Japanese version of Pokemon Gold. I bought it used, and I've got a few questions about it. I would really, really appreciate any information at all!

I don't know what the cartridge is actually supposed to look like in the Japanese version, but mine has a grey back and a navy blue front. The sticker looks legitimate.
    The only problem I have is that my game doesn't save... I read online that people had problems with Gold/Silver's internal battery dying, so people couldn't save anymore, but I don't know if that is the problem I'm experiencing. When I go to save, it says that it is saved, but then when I turn it off it is gone.
    (and the game never actually records the time I've played. It always stays at zero)

Confused!!!!

If anyone has this game, or knows anything about it, I will love you forever. <3 <3 <3

-Arienette

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    The only problem I have is that my game doesn't save... I read online that people had problems with Gold/Silver's internal battery dying, so people couldn't save anymore, but I don't know if that is the problem I'm experiencing. When I go to save, it says that it is saved, but then when I turn it off it is gone.
    (and the game never actually records the time I've played. It always stays at zero)

Confused!!!!

If anyone has this game, or knows anything about it, I will love you forever. <3 <3 <3

-Arienette

I can't help you with if it is or isn't legit, but the saving problem is caused by the dying internal battery like you said. A common problem found in the Metal Generation of games is a problem with the internal battery after a few years.

Basically, the internal battery is located inside of the cartridge which allows the game to save the user's progress onto the memory chip. It is possible to fix this problem, but the cartridge must be opened and the battery must be taken out and a new battery must be soldered in which may be laborious. As there is no power supply to the cart, there's no way to save the game.

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
    The same thing happened to my friends Crystal version and my cousin's silver version except with my cousin's silver version, sometimes it actully saved, and sometimes it deleted his game entirely.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
    The battery is indeed the problem. You'd best find some tutorials for changing the battery in a game cart.

The game sounds legitimate to me, as well. The English games had the cartridges in different colors, but the Japanese ones were all gray.

Years
    Thanks!

Hey, thanks everyone! I'm going to see if I can't find a battery and fix it myself... or find someone who is better at fixing electronics than I am.

That would be really annoying if you got exceedingly far in the game and then the battery just died so you lost all of your data.

:(

-Arienette

Years
    If you have another game boy color game that you don`t need, just open it (I mean REALLY OPEN it), and take it the battery. Exchange it with the pokemon`s battery and TADAA! Or just buy another battery...

Years
    Hi!'
    I just bought "poketto monsutaa kin," the Japanese version of Pokemon Gold. I bought it used, and I've got a few questions about it. I would really, really appreciate any information at all!

I don't know what the cartridge is actually supposed to look like in the Japanese version, but mine has a grey back and a navy blue front. The sticker looks legitimate.

Confused!!!!

-Arienette
    Just exchange it's battery with another one from another game...

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
    Yeah Mine too. But also if it didn't work try i dunno download(No Not Really if have to ><) or try buying a new one. Japanese Games are rip off when they're used :O

Back