• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HELP! ... lol

Years
    Hey,

so im just getting into pokemon cards again (having not bought or seen any since the 90s)

and I saw a tin quite cheap the other day, so i got it :)

but i have no idea about the cards, sets or packs

so i was just looking for somebody to get me up to speed, like with which ones are good and what do the ones were the card but not the picture is shiny :/

lol , im going to stop talking now because i'm starting to sound stupid :D
    X

Years
    Which ones are good is pretty debatable, to be honest, unless you're actually going to official tournaments, where a certain type of deck runs rampant.

Those cards with the reverse foil pattern (the card as opposed to the picture) are called reverse holofoils. They're alternate foil versions of almost every card in a set.

Maybe poke around the official UK TCG site a while and see what you find:

https://www.pokemon.com/uk/trading-cards/ (I think that's the UK TCG site, not sure, though. Doesn't look any different from the US version of the site.)

Come back here with any questions that arise.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
    HMMM first things first if it has a star on the bottom right its rare if its a dimond thing its uncommon if its a circle its common.anyway what you where asking was not very specific but if you want to learn how to play here is a link....https://www.pokemontcg.com/tutorials

it has all the new rules not like that conserns you since your new.......well yeah like donavannj said "Come back here with any questions that arise"XD

Years
    Just one question so far :)

What are ex, Lv X and primes ?
    what do they mean?
    what are they for?

... okay so 3 questions lol

x

Last edited:
    Years
    ex, Lv. X and Primes are special types of Pokemon. ex and Prime Pokemon are nearly identical, but having a Prime Pokemon knocked out doesn't get your opponent two prize cards like it would with an ex Pokemon. They can be played in place of Pokemon that have the same name as them. Lv. X Pokemon "Level Up" from Pokemon that share their same name.

You really should try the tutorials Romeo010 linked to, as well: https://www.pokemontcg.com/tutorials

Maybe those will help a little.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
    hm i have a quick question uhh why did they make two versions of all the starters and their evolution forms.like one of them suck and one is beast.....

Years
    i had a look about comps in the UK as im in England and the nearest one to me is about 40 miles away, you might be lucky as you're in London though.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    hm i have a quick question uhh why did they make two versions of all the starters and their evolution forms.like one of them suck and one is beast.....
    They basically give us what Japan gets. In Japan, the actual Black and White Sets were smaller, but they had a lot of promos and stuff.

One of the side products they had was the "Beginning Set". It had 3 half-decks (30 card decks) and it included the 'suck' versions of the starters. That's because it's meant for beginners, so they tried to make it as unconfusing as possible. Then, in their actual set, they put the 'beast' versions. That way competitive players would buy lots of packs and boost sales. :)

However, for the English speakers, they always put the theme deck cards in the actual set, too. (For the record they never do that in Japan... sometimes their theme decks would have PRIMES that were exclusive to those decks!) So since they did like Japan and gave us the 'suck' versions in the theme decks, they needed to be in the actual set, too.

Back