• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help me get started with Project Unown!

MewSkitty

I love everyone!
Years
  • For a while now I've been trying to create the worlds first Pokemon MORPG. I've posted my project on https://project4hire.com but no one seems willing enough to take the challenge. I think the problem is that they don't have the proper Pokemon knowledge to create the game. I never never made a game in my life before, but I did take a two week game development class at a college last year. Below are some specs for my game:

Project name: Project Unown
    Type of game: Offline/online MORPG
    Type of graphics: Just like in the S/R/E games. I plan on getting graphics from the ROMs
    Pokemon: 1-493 (Once english names are released)
    Region: A whole new one!
    File format: I plan on people playing the game offline, on a .exe file, but have to connect online to buy items and upload stats.
    Other info:
    In this game, people will have to use real money to buy items and Pokemon. IT won't be much though, only like $0.05 for a potion, but some things will cost more, like a Master Ball is $15. People will use a credit card to buy the stuff, and the money will be tranfered to an account, which will fund the game and I will pay the people who help make it for their efforts, and they will continue to get paid until the game is no more! Also, it will take long and hard work making this game, so don't bother asking to help with a major part unless you plan to go through with it!

I give credit where credit it due! Even for the smallest contribution to the game, you will be given credit for helping. But only the main programers will get paid for making the game. I don't have the money to pay everyone. Well, post in this thread any questions you may have, or any way you could help. Thank you all so much for helping make my dream come true!

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Hi there, i like this idea however i think $15 is a bit extreme for a virtual masterball lmao :P

Okay i am in to help :) add me on msn messanger
    [email protected]

what you will need to lern,
    Lern Visual Basic 6.0 nothing else non of this .net crap and make sure u get enterprise eddition i know its old but vb6 is capable of more than anyone gives it credit

Lern how to use Winsock in Vb6
    and last but not least
    lern BitBLT or DirectX
    Bitblt should be fine for a pokemon game :P if u were going to do anything fast pasted like 2d counter strike i would use direct x :)

once you have lernt all 3 of those you will be fully equip to make a pokemon mmorpg ^_^ have fun u can ask me questions on msn if u need

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2008
    dude u cant make it pay. if u make it that u hav eto pay for it then u would get sued by nintendo and get poor and live on the street like a hobo. u arent allowed dto use pokemon and make it have to pay.

Sid

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    For a while now I've been trying to create the worlds first Pokemon MORPG. I've posted my project on but no one seems willing enough to take the challenge. I think the problem is that they don't have the proper Pokemon knowledge to create the game. I never never made a game in my life before, but I did take a two week game development class at a college last year. Below are some specs for my game:

Project name: Project Unown
    Type of game: Offline/online MORPG
    Type of graphics: Just like in the S/R/E games. I plan on getting graphics from the ROMs
    Pokemon: 1-493 (Once english names are released)
    Region: A whole new one!
    File format: I plan on people playing the game offline, on a .exe file, but have to connect online to buy items and upload stats.
    Other info:
    In this game, people will have to use real money to buy items and Pokemon. [...]

So you want to `write` a [commercial] game (oh wait you said you can't do it yourself), you want someone else to create a [commercial] game for you. Thats pretty insane.
    --oh thats not all
    You want to use copyrighted material (Ripped Graphics, Names) for commercial purposes. Well, a lot of people use ripped graphics but there is a huge difference between a little Fan-Project and a commercial game.

I don't have time to learn 3 programming thingies.
    If you don't have time leave game developing alone. A game even small fan projects require a huge amount of time/effort. You are not even willing to learn something about that what you want to do.
    You should work on your attitude

MewSkitty

I love everyone!
    Years
  • Grrr, you don't see what work I'd have to go through if I did this on my own, and how much easier it would be to have a TEAM of people help. Learning the necissary programing would take about 1.5 years to learn. Then, doing EVERYTHING on my own, the game would take about 5 years to make. But, if I had a team of help, even if it was just 3 people, the total time to create the game is an estimated 2-3 years, less the more people I have helping. If no one is willing to help, then there never will be a Pokemon MORPG.

EDIT: And why should I listen to a n00b like you? No avatar or sig, and you've only made 6 posts. ROFL!

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2010
    A person with no avatar and stuff are not n00bs... they just cbf to do it. And there is a MORP and it's going to release a small test soon. And getting paid for a game ripped off a company is pretty stupid! You'd be slaughtered... and to create a game without programing it is pretty lame.

Sid

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Grrr, you don't see what work I'd have to go through if I did this on my own, and how much easier it would be to have a TEAM of people help.
    I never said that you shall do it all on you own.
    But that doesn't sound like you actually wanted to do anything yourself except leading the project (without any expierience or programming knowledge):
    MewSkitty said:
    [...] so OTHER PEOPLE can program it for me.

MewSkitty said:
    Learning the necissary programing would take about 1.5 years to learn.
    Depends on 3 Things
    - The Language (C++ is harder to learn than PHP etc.)
    - The time you invest in learning
    - The knowledge you already have (General/Advanced Computer, Other Programming Language)

MewSkitty said:
    Then, doing EVERYTHING on my own, the game would take about 5 years to make. But, if I had a team of help, even if it was just 3 people, the total time to create the game is an estimated 2-3 years, less the more people I have helping. If no one is willing to help, then there never will be a Pokemon MORPG.
    If you really want to have a team you'll either need experience and convince them of your cause (well if it would be a fan project) or you'll have to pay. If you can't offer anything most people will just do it on their own or look for someone that can offer something.
    Your first Post didn't look like a decent job offer, nothing about payment, no real concept. I am sorry if it you intended to pay for a team.

Well so you'll have to pay for
    Programmers, Graphic Designer etc.
    and a Server

If you want people to pay for a game (especially MMORPGs) you need two things.
    - An EXCEPTIONAL game
    - A fast Server, Server maintaince
    how are you going to pay for it, I strongly believe that your game will not be of high quality (not meant as an insult). Well that's ok, it's your first project there'll be no master without exercise. The problem is that the costs will be extremly high compared to your income.

The next problem you are going to STEAL (sounds hard but that's what it is) resources from Nintendo to create your game. It is copyrighted material and you are not allowed to use it at least not in COMMERCIAL games. It is illigal and if your game will grow somewhat popular (what would be a MUST to cover the costs of the server) you will certainly get trouble with Nintendo. If you are lucky they'll warn you and ask you to shut down the servers and stop publishing the game. Oh well in the worst case ... they'll put you on trial immediately because of violation of the copyright laws.

Considering all these facts I would say that you maybe should try to gain experience first.
    If you don't wont to listen to my advice because you think you can do it or because I am a "n00b" go ahead.
    Humans learn from failure it'll sure be a good experience and teach you an important lesson.

EDIT: And why should I listen to a n00b like you? No avatar or sig, and you've only made 6 posts. ROFL!
    I am not going to comment this I don't need a child-level discussion. Just that it is sad that you judge someone by those things that actually say nothing (I guess you had 6 posts a few weeks/months/years ago, too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2010
    And another thing. Say this gets big. Nintendo sues. By law you have full liability. That means that if the amount you must pay exceeds the amount you have. They can sell anything of yours to pay the rest...

The Dash

Hurr.
    Years
  • You need a serious attidude adjustment, you are insulting Sid at the level of a child due to the fact that he has only made a few posts and has no avatar or sig? It is not the Quantity it is the Quality, from what I've seen Sid has made some very high quality posts here and you have no right what so ever to be insulting him.
    If you are not willing to do things on your own for a while then you might aswell just give up, nobody with any skill (No offence to anyone who has offerd help) will want to join your group unless you have some form of work or progress to show them. I think it's an awful idea making people pay for things on it.. You will get far less players. If Nintendo catches onto you making a profit from it then you will be in big trouble, they couldn't care less about people making fan games using their graphics but when someone starts profiting from their toil THEN you are in trouble. As Sid has stated,
    if you want people to actually PAY then you will have to have an EXELLENT game, if you look at World of Warcraft, that game is amazing and they have millions of users. Their servers are fast with very little down-time. People pay for it because of the high quality of gaming they get from it. I can understand fully that if you get far with this you will have to pay for the Server costs but unless you have a great game nobody will pay.

I see that this is your first project, that's ok. We all start somewhere. But if you think your first game will become massively popular with people paying for it, then you have crossed a line.

As Sid has also stated, it seems like you want to do nothing for this project and just lead. Have others do all the work for you, I'm sorry but that is NOT going to happen.

Sorry if my Grammar went astray in that, but please, take into concideration the things Sid and I have said.

Last edited:
    Back