• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help needed with understanding IV's/Breeding, etc.

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jun 10, 2016
    I've never EV/IV trained or bred outside of having fun for moves/types etc.
    Are there good resources to get my feet wet?

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Have you done any research?
    As mega said. Both breeding and EV training are far easier this gen than they have in the past.

I'm at work so I'll post links to sites later when I'm home that'll help. But in the meantime:

I wrote and posted this on another site maybe 6 months ago.

Basics is like any breeding. You need a male and a female pokemon. (Ditto can represent either gender)

Pokemon species don't need to match. But they do need to belong to the same egg group. Eg/ dragons can breed with dragons. Type is a good way to judge if pokemon can breed but there are some odd groups.

The mother passed down the breed of pokemon. (Ditto can't be passed down so the male will be in the egg) this part is key for breeding egg moves. Eg poison fang tyrant. Male seviper with poison fang bred with female tyrant will produce a tyrant with poison fang. If you were to swap the genders you would breed more sevipers. (Both these pokemon belong to the dragon egg group) (tyrunt also belongs to the monster group and seviper to the field group)

Hold Items

Everstone - if a parent has your desired nature for the pokemon in the egg. Give it an everstone it's nature will be passed down 100% of the time. Otherwise nature is random.

Destiny knot - normally when you breed 3IVs come direct from the parents and 3 are random. (Which ones are chosen are random) if one parent holds the destiny knot when breeding 5IVs get passed down from the parents. (Again random but with 5-6IV pokemon. This mostly garentees 4-6IV eggs) the last IV is random.

Power items - the power bands can be used as held items to pass down a specific IV. From parent to egg.

Other tips. -

Hidden Abilities (HA) - can be passed down by males or females when breeding with Ditto. Can only be passed by the female if breeding with 2 pokemon.

Pokeball - caught pokeball is passed down by the female only (even if using ditto males cannot pass pokeballs) masterball and cherish balls can not be passed down.

Egg moves - if a parent knows egg moves it's children will too :)

IV Checking - in ORAS the pokemon center on battle island has the IV checker standing underneath the map to the right hand side. He doesn't provide numbers for your IVs but has different statements such as (can't be beat - for 31 IVs and won't get anywhere for - 0ivs.)

Advance tips - Shiny breeding

Warning this takes time - you could be lucky and it's egg one. You might not be and it's egg 1,000 or egg 10,000. Be prepared to wait a long time.

Masuda method - this is the best way to breed for a shiny pokemon. It's been around for 3 generations of pokemon now but people still seem to not understand it.
    The Masuda method of breeding requires parent pokemon from two different regions. Commonly your own game and a japanese pokemon. But any region will work.
    Breeding these pokemon together increases the chance of shiny pokemon appearing. The rarity of shiny Pokemon was reduced in this generation previously it was 1 in 8,192. (This is set for every encounter. After 8191 pokemon you aren't garenteed the next is shiny the chance is still 1 in 8,192).
    The Masuda method when added in Gen IV dropped this chance to 1 in 2,048 (that's 75% off). Then in generation V it made it 1 in 1365.3
    Now in generation VI the base rate of shiny Pokemon is lower than 1 in 8,192 and therefore the Masuda method makes our chances better again. (Sorry for no numbers in Gen VI, I cannot find them) EDIT: I believe the odds are 1:683 in Gen VI using Masuda Method alone

Oval charm - this is a key item recieved for completing the regional dex. It increases the chance of an egg being found at the day care center.

Shiny charm - another key item awarded for completing the national dex. This further increases the chance of a shiny appearing. In the wild it makes you 300% more likely to find a shiny.
    Again no numbers for gen VI around breeding. So I'll use gen V but the odds are more in your favour now. In Gen V Masuda method gave us a 1 in 1,365.3. With the shiny charm it came down to 1,024 not a huge drop. But everything helps right.
    EDIT: Shiny Charm and Masuda Method in Gen VI give a 1:512 chance of shiny egg

I hope that makes sense for you.

Last edited:
    Back