• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help on my VGC Team

dethklok8

Shiny_Charizard
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Hey I'm trying to build a good VGC team and need some help. I'm kind of new to competitive play, especially VGC because I rarely played doubles before. I've been doing a lot of play testing on Pokemon Showdown with it to figure out what works, but then all of the sudden my win rate plummeted. I'll post my builds for each Pokemon and explain why I use them to help you guys understand my thought process. Thanks for the help.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

There is a reason that Landorus is 2nd most used on Battlespot in doubles. It's mega Attack stat, mixed with one of the best abilities in the game give it two great utilities. I run a scarfed set because it can outspeed a lot of Pokemon, and gets great coverage. I run basic moves and use which ever one is going to do the most damage in most situations. I normally lead with him because a lot of people lead Kangaskhan, but I'll adjust accordingly. I don't think that he's the problem with this team and I don't plan on taking him off unless I see a major issue.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Taunt
    - U-turn

When I would use other teams I hated this Pokemon. It would always dominate my frailer sweepers with it's priority Bravebird. I originally had Aegislash in his place, but I would hardly use it, so I new I needed a replacement. I chose Talonflame in the later stages of team building because I saw two major problems on my team. The first was that I had no Fire type coverage. I could handle things like Ferrothorn and Scizor without it alright, but I wanted a for sure way to completely shut them down. The second was Taunt. I didn't have a taunt Pokemon on my team, and I was seeing a lot of Taunt and T-Wave Thundurus while I was testing. Although Thundurus does have Prankster, I feel like the fire coverage and overall physical obliteration that Talonflame brings to my team outweighs that. I wouldn't mind switching him out if anyone has another suggestion.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Giga Drain
    - Sleep Powder
    - Synthesis

Venusaur is very controversial on this team. I originally had Gogoat because I wanted a spore/grass counter because two of my team members are weak to grass and spore is pretty popular. Also, Gogoat has Sap Sipper, giving it 1.5x boost when I switch it in on a spore or grass type attack. I switched it out because I didn't feel that it had that big of an offensive presence even with it's 1.5x boost and the bigger problem being that it has so many weaknesses as a grass type which is not good for a tank. I put Mega Venusaur in even after Talonflame. I've always like Mega-Venusaur, so I grabbed a moveset and rolled with it. Honestly, I want to find a replacement for him, and I might switch back into Gogoat even with his weaknesses because my team worked better.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Destiny Bond
    - Psychic
    - Protect

Mega Gardevoir was my last addition to my team when I realized I didn't have a mega, and I didn't have a very great special sweeping Pokemon. Mega Gardevoir is super underrated in my opinion. I hear people call it the worst Mega, and I disagree. There are plenty of ways to support Pokemon with a not so great speed, such as Icy Wind or T-Wave, but in my case I use Tailwind. It's super crazy 165 base SpA stat mixed with the godly ability Pixilate and Hyper Voice, make it a faster, less tanky Sylveon that can deal more damage. The real issue here is if I use a Modest or Timid nature. I lean toward Modest because it adds so much to the already high 165 base, but if something goes wrong and I don't get Tailwind set up, I can at least speed tie with other base 100 speed Pokemon with a Timid nature. I really like Mega Gardevoir and feels it synergizes well with this team, so I don't think that I'm as likely to scratch this one.

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Tailwind
    - Protect

I was looking for a good speed control Pokemon and stumbled upon Suicune. This thing is tanky, and it gets Tailwind, so it worked perfect for my team. There isn't much to explain about it, other than I built it more physically tanky and gave it a rocky helmet for Mega-K and other physical threats even though it's weaknesses lie in special. I see way more physical threats than super effective special attacks that threated Suicune. Other than that, this is my basic speed control set.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 60 SpA / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect

I really like Rotom wash. It is a great tank with a decent offensive presence as well, and Will-O-Wisp is definitely needed on my team as well. He serves as my Talonflame check because of his access to both STAB moves being super effective on it. Otherwise, I'll just bring him as a decent Will-O-Wisp tank support. Just like Suicune there isn't very much to explain about him.

So this is my team, but I think I can improve somewhere. Let me know what flaws you can see and if you could provide info on how to fix them let me know! Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

ScraggyTrainer

Whimsy!
    Years
    Do you know any common threats that you can't deal with? Team seems pretty solid, but the double mega and double water typing might mess you up sometimes. I'd suggest either Amoongus or Breoom over Venusaur or Pixie Plate Sylveon over Gardevoir. They fulfill close to the same purpose without taking up your mega slot

dethklok8

Shiny_Charizard
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    There aren't many threats that specifically run over my team that I can think of off the top of my head. I do agree with getting rid of Mega-Venusaur for something, and I originally had Gogoat because I saw I was so weak to grass. If I did replace Mega-Gardevoir with Sylveon, do you have any suggestions on what Mega would be good to replace it?
    Thanks for your help

ScraggyTrainer

Whimsy!
    Years
    There aren't many threats that specifically run over my team that I can think of off the top of my head. I do agree with getting rid of Mega-Venusaur for something, and I originally had Gogoat because I saw I was so weak to grass. If I did replace Mega-Gardevoir with Sylveon, do you have any suggestions on what Mega would be good to replace it?
    Thanks for your help

I figured you'd be keeping venusaur if you're replacing gardevoir. If you don't want venusaur or gardevoir, I'd probably go with mega salamence. But, like I said, either replace gardevoir with sylveon or venusaur with amoongus. Amoongus walls other grass types if they give you trouble

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    I know that it's a really cool mon and all, but I don't see what Rotom-Wash does on this team for you that you can't outsource to Suicune and Talonflame. Talon's Will-o is faster and less predictable to an extent because of its 4MSS. Suicune gives you Water coverage.

This team could do for some redirection, so I would recommend that if you decide to keep Megasaur over Amoongus, that you run Clefable or Eviolite Friend Guard Clefairy over Gardevoir for Follow Me! support. It can tank the Ice Beams and Brave Birds that threaten some of your more critical team members.

Back