• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with drawing anime style, please...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    So, I didn't know where to post this, but I thought of this as the best fitting place. I need help with making arts of animes, with graphics quality as good as the ones on TV. I need to also know how do those anime studios make these animes.

Any help with these, specially a person who could teach me here, would be greatly appreciated...

lemurkat

Obsessive Artist
    Years
    WE might be better able to help if we can see your current level of skill. Otherwise, there are probably tutorials out there for drawing anime. Trying googling it.

I can't computer colour, so I'm no use.

Kat

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I'll tell you people then...

Lets just say I'm starting from scratch, so I have almost no skill. And don't give me ideas about google. If google was the answer, I wouldn't ask you people.

The ones I found with google are tutorials too hard to understand. I need a person who can answer my questions about this. But I appreciate the attempt at help from you lemurkat.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    If you want help drawing anime, the best step for a beginner is to just get example of anime drawing and copy the image or trace an image. This way, you'll get an idea of how it should look like. After you get use to drawing anime styles, start incorporating your own ideas into the drawings.

Say for example, you see an image with a pose you like, draw the pose of the person, then add your own clothing, style etc. After you feel confident enough of your skills, then you can try free style and draw without the help of copying an image. It does take a while to get to the quality of drawing anime like from shows, but I guess like the old saying goes, practice makes person.

That's all I can say really, I'm not much of an expert myself but I hope my advice will help you. Good luck~

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    You're pretty ambitiuous, huh?

Frankly, I learned much of my skills from an internet tutorial when I started out. These, to be exact, exept that those weren't all there back then. The other part of my skills are from copying manga and anime images and - you guessed it - practice. You can go to my profile and check my drawing album there and you'll see my drawings are not even near the quality you see on TV. Then, you can think I started a year ago or two years ago or something... But no. I've been practicing drawing manga style for six long years now, and before that I had already drawn for more than seven years with other styles. You'll probably need an USB drawing board, a good program like Gimp or Photoshop or something of the like and a good ten years of practice.

I really suggest copying images (by hand, of course) when you start out and then advancing into modifying the drawings a bit until you really know what you're doing. Also, those tutorials I showed you are good. If nothing else, try to even look trough the pictures there. They helped me. A lot.

As for how they make anime: I suppose they do it just the same way they do all the other cartoons. That means they're either done with a multi-layer camera or whatsitcalled in English or with computer programs. If they use that layer camera thingy, then they use mutliple layers of cels with parts of the charaters on them and a background behind them. Then, they change the cels and take more pictures to make it into an animation or something like that. That's basically how cartoons are made. But, well, nowadays computer programs are also often used, even when digital effects or 3D modelling is not present. That's about all I know.

You can ask me some questions about drawing, if you want, but I don't know much more about the animating process...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    If you want help drawing anime, the best step for a beginner is to just get example of anime drawing and copy the image or trace an image. This way, you'll get an idea of how it should look like. After you get use to drawing anime styles, start incorporating your own ideas into the drawings.

Say for example, you see an image with a pose you like, draw the pose of the person, then add your own clothing, style etc. After you feel confident enough of your skills, then you can try free style and draw without the help of copying an image. It does take a while to get to the quality of drawing anime like from shows, but I guess like the old saying goes, practice makes person.

That's all I can say really, I'm not much of an expert myself but I hope my advice will help you. Good luck~

Thanks for the advice, and it will help me at practicing, if not anything else.

You're pretty ambitiuous, huh?

Frankly, I learned much of my skills from an internet tutorial when I started out. These, to be exact, exept that those weren't all there back then. The other part of my skills are from copying manga and anime images and - you guessed it - practice. You can go to my profile and check my drawing album there and you'll see my drawings are not even near the quality you see on TV. Then, you can think I started a year ago or two years ago or something... But no. I've been practicing drawing manga style for six long years now, and before that I had already drawn for more than seven years with other styles. You'll probably need an USB drawing board, a good program like Gimp or Photoshop or something of the like and a good ten years of practice.

I really suggest copying images (by hand, of course) when you start out and then advancing into modifying the drawings a bit until you really know what you're doing. Also, those tutorials I showed you are good. If nothing else, try to even look trough the pictures there. They helped me. A lot.

As for how they make anime: I suppose they do it just the same way they do all the other cartoons. That means they're either done with a multi-layer camera or whatsitcalled in English or with computer programs. If they use that layer camera thingy, then they use mutliple layers of cels with parts of the charaters on them and a background behind them. Then, they change the cels and take more pictures to make it into an animation or something like that. That's basically how cartoons are made. But, well, nowadays computer programs are also often used, even when digital effects or 3D modelling is not present. That's about all I know.

You can ask me some questions about drawing, if you want, but I don't know much more about the animating process...

Thanks a lot for the help. I think the link is going to help me. I think you just are not going in the right path. Cause I saw your works, and they are actually good, noticably your sketches. But they could use some obvious help, specially the colouring. But maybe you don't focus on drawing much, that's why it took you so long. If you put your heart in it, your quality will be double in one month, I bet!

The first book I used to learn how to draw manga was Beginer's Step by Step manga

Um... Ah... I don't mean to learn drawing manga style, just the anime. Mangas are a good starter, I know, but when I take a look at some of the drawings in Deviantart by people like me, it just disappoints me that I didn't even get close to my objective, and to those people it's a piece of cake...

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    Thanks a lot for the help. I think the link is going to help me. I think you just are not going in the right path. Cause I saw your works, and they are actually good, noticably your sketches. But they could use some obvious help, specially the colouring. But maybe you don't focus on drawing much, that's why it took you so long. If you put your heart in it, your quality will be double in one month, I bet!

Heh, I admit that I don't put much of my heart -if any, actually - to colouring, but I sure do practice somewhat hard. I go to a High School of Visual Arts, even... I had to take an entrance exam to get in, so I can't be all that bad in our school's grade, either. But, I have to admit, the quality is not that great because our scanner wasn't a very good one and we only got a drawing board a while ago, so I haven't drawn with that very much yet. Also, I'm trying to get me a style of my own instead of using just the generic anime/manga style.

Oh, and note that most of those pictures were drawn before I went to high school.

But, yeah, drawing a lot and putting your heart into the practice really helps you to develop in very short time. Drawing copies and tracing is really good practice, as well as thinking about portions, shades and natural colours. Practicing to draw hair, eyes, hands, torsos, feet and clothes separately also helps. After you can draw all those things credibly, try putting them together. Ta-da, you have a self-made character!

Just a question: are you going to try to make animations? Because that'll make things a whole lot harder...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Heh, I admit that I don't put much of my heart -if any, actually - to colouring, but I sure do practice somewhat hard. I go to a High School of Visual Arts, even... I had to take an entrance exam to get in, so I can't be all that bad in our school's grade, either. But, I have to admit, the quality is not that great because our scanner wasn't a very good one and we only got a drawing board a while ago, so I haven't drawn with that very much yet. Also, I'm trying to get me a style of my own instead of using just the generic anime/manga style.

Oh, and note that most of those pictures were drawn before I went to high school.

But, yeah, drawing a lot and putting your heart into the practice really helps you to develop in very short time. Drawing copies and tracing is really good practice, as well as thinking about portions, shades and natural colours. Practicing to draw hair, eyes, hands, torsos, feet and clothes separately also helps. After you can draw all those things credibly, try putting them together. Ta-da, you have a self-made character!

Just a question: are you going to try to make animations? Because that'll make things a whole lot harder...

When you say drawing board, do you mean graphics tablet? If that is so, then yeah, I also need to get one of those, but I ain't feeling like getting it until I'm already very good at drawing it...

For some reason, I can't focus on drawing different body part at different times, I tend to draw a whole figure. And also, I have hard time drawing female characters. I can't get that male touch off from my female characters, since I don't totally realize what makes them look male-ish.

And no, until I can get to draw real good, I plan to put off animation. Besides, I don't need to worry about animating, since I'm already pretty good enough to make close to TV quality animations. In fact, I dream of having an anime and gaming merged company in the future, but that's a dream after all...

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    Most people use tablets to draw on. I myself have started using a tablet, it's hard to get use to though and I keep reverting back to drawing on paper, which is kinda of a habit I need to break. But tablets are neater and easier since you can just draw straight away on the computer, but they do cost over $100 depending on what brand you get. If you're really going into this type of profession, I would recommended getting a tablet, it'll make everything much easier.

I take it because you're a male, that's probably the reason why it's hard to draw a female body, since you know what a male looks like. That's the same for me, I can draw females better than males. XD; You should try drawing headshots if you have problems with focusing on different body parts. Drawing is one thing, adding animation is another. I guess you should just focus on getting the drawing part down. Since animation there are classes you can go to for that and would probably help you more than learning in on the internet.

But even though dreams are just dreams, with hard work and dedication, they can be come reality.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Maybe dreams can come true, but this one will take a lot of resources which I just can't fulfill now. For example, I can't start studying like a proffesional on animes till at least four more years...

Maybe, the male female thing is right. I started laughing at my own drawing of a girl when I took a second good look at her torso... it was just like a thin girl with a sudden rugby playing guys figure XD.

About the tablet, I'll get one after I get to a pretty good level at hand drawing. I'll probably get one within the end of the upcoming January though...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Okay mods, since the work of this topic has been kinda taken care of, close the topic away.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Sorry, but you won't become good after a couple of lessons, I can't draw half as good as a professional Manga-ka and I've been learning (And improving) for at least a year.

Here's some good resources though:
    Mark Crilley's Youtube Channel
    Mangatutorials.com

Hope it helps!
    ~Raiden

I know dude. I'll take one month of practise before I can at least stop people from laughing at my works, and becoming good at it will take a long time. I'm just saying that I think for now I have enough resources from the people here to work on. And also, thank you for the resources that you listed, but the second link goes to a site I've already gone to, and it seems too complicated to me...

Maybe I could use some resource which will help me start from THE "basics"...

Back