• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Heracross VGC 14 Team

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2017
    To start off, I want to say that although I've been doing competitive battle for almost half a year now, I've never been able to build what I can say a great team. I have experimented alot of teams lately, most of which are not meshing the way I want them too. So here I am, asking for advice :) BTW, this is a doubles VGC 14 team.

Things I want to keep:
    • Mega Heracross. My favorite Pokemon. As much as possible, I don't want to replace him. Move changes are welcome though.
    • Prankster Support. Can't do a battle without them. Hahaha. Maybe it's a bad habit on my side.

THE TEAM

Heracross @ Heracronite
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPEED / 4 ATK
    Nature: Jolly
    - Pin Missile
    - Bullet Seed
    - Close Combat
    - Rock Blast

I take advantage of Skill Link with the Pin Missile/Bullet Seed/Rock Blast moves. I chose those moves for wide coverage (especially Rock Blast, for Flying Pokes). I selected Close Combat for STAB fighting move. Though I don't really like the DEF/SPDEF debuff =_=. I mainly use Heracross as my first Pokemon along with my Fakeout support.

Blastoise @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rain Dish
    EVs: 220 HP/ 144 SPDEF / 144 DEF
    Nature: Calm
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect
    - Rain Dance

I think Blastoise is bulky enough for my needs, plus I can use some STAB Water moves for Fire-type threats and also Ice Beam for Dragon Pokes. I'm not really sure what last move I should choose so I go for Rain Dance to take advantage of his ability, though I really find this a waste of turn so it'll probably change.

Meowstic M @Choice Scarf
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPEED
    Nature: Timid
    - Trick
    - Fake Out
    - Safeguard
    - Charm

I've been using different Prankster Pokemon for awhile, except for Meowstic. So I want to give this Pokemon a shot. After reading some guide online, I've decided to go with this moveset. Trick is to immobilize opponent's Pokemon. Fake Out. My standard move for a support. Safeguard, to avoid status moves and finally Charm, to weaken physical threats.

Raichu @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SPEED / 4 HP
    Nature:
    - Fake Out
    - Protect
    - Nuzzle
    - Volt Switch

This Pokemon is actually a result of watching Pachirisu :D Though I don't have the follow me move in my arsenal. I think I can make use of the Lightning Rod ability. I'm not really sure with this. Fake Out, again. My standard support move. Protect to scout and survive. Nuzzle for paralysis. Volt Switch is also for scouting and free switch-ins.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Overgrowth
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 DEF / 128 SPDEF
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

I have been using Venusaur ever since I've pulled off a double Leech Seed + Black Sludge + Giga Drain wall. I just think it has a potential. Though there's the pesky type disadvantage. Protect is there to also improve recovery.

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Gale Wing
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPEED
    Nature: Jolly
    - Brave Bird
    - Tailwind
    - Quick Guard
    - Roost

I use Talonflame as a support. Brave Bird is mainly for damage and priority. Tailwind, to boost speed of my Pokes. Quick Guard is there to protect my Pokemon from priority moves. Roost is for recovery.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Mega Heracross needs Protect over Bullet Seed. Protect is a staple in doubles formats, you know, to let a teammate take out a threat, scouting for moves or punishing double-targeting.

Here's a better take on Raichu. It's too frail to use Nuzzle, really:
    -Fake Out
    -Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Protect
    -Encore
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 36 HP/220 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Lightning Rod

I don't think Blastoise is cut for doubles formats, given that it's not really that strong in its regular form; Mega Blastoise is the sole reason you'd be even using Blastoise itself in the first place. Rain Dance isn't a necessity on the team unless you're afraid of Mega Charizard Y and its support moves work best in singles. The better bulky Water Pokemon to use here is Wash Rotom (whose shared Ground weakness with Raichu isn't a concern thanks to Levitiate):
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect/Light Screen/Reflect
    EVs: 252 HP/44 Def/60 SAtk/148 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry

Here's a better take on Meowstic; it's really doing too much at once and Fake Out doesn't really mesh well with Choice Scarf, given that Meowstic has to switch out right after using it on the very first turn it's out:
    -Safeguard
    -Swagger
    -Thunder Wave/Reflect/Charm
    -Psychic/Fake Out/Light Screen
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/196 Def/60 SDef
    Item: Mental Herb/Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Prankster

Venusaur is so out-of-place on this team. Having Mega Charizard Y as a partner for it is mandatory, due to Venusaur's Chlorophyll and your Mega slot is already taken up by Heracross. Leech Seed stalling is better done in singles, again, due to the fast pace in doubles. Amoonguss is the better alternative here, due to Spore/Rage Powder support:
    -Spore
    -Rage Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet

In doubles formats, Talonflame will have no time to use Roost, since the pace there is too fast. It also needs Flare Blitz to get past Steel Pokemon. As long as Talonflame gets to support its teammates or revenge kill threats, there's really no need for recovery:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Tailwind/Quick Guard
    -Protect/Quick Guard
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 84 HP/252 Atk/172 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn