• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Here for my kids

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    I'm new here and I'm here for my children. They are Pokemon fanatics so I feel like I need to learn about it and be a part of what they really enjoy. I have all kinds of questions, but I'm sure poking around the forum for a while will help with that.

First, Pokemon is expensive! :D Between ridiculously priced cards, anime dvds, manga books, and video games, I could end up in the poor house. :D

I do have a question though that could bring me some extra benefit out of this. Using Pokemon as my main source of practice...how hard would it be to learn Japanese? Any suggestions for a good place/system to start with to learn Japanese and then practice primarily with Pokemon anime/games/manga? I appreciate the help.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
    Welcome to the forums. This is a great place for Pokemon.
    I'm also trying to learn Japanese, but it has nothing to do with Pokemon, just general Japanese.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Whoa! You sure are a concerned parent!! XD
    Its really rare to see a parent, like you, here at the pokecommunity forums. But I am sure that you'll be able to accomplish your goals while being here.
    So, Welcome to the forums. ;D
    They are Pokemon fanatics so I feel like I need to learn about it and be a part of what they really enjoy.
    Hats off to you for saying this. >:D

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Haha, good for you!

My name is Eivana, and if you would like to send me a PM or VM, that would be great! I could chat with you and answer at least a few of your questions I am sure! I'll see you later on the forums then!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Well, if you want to learn Japanese, it's probably best to buy a language software, or books that will teach you step by step. It would be almost impossible to learn it just by watching a show in Japanese, or attempting to read manga in that language.. buuut people have tried. xD; If you can't take a college course on it, then a lot of those 'Learn Japanese!' books would be my best guess. Once you start learning from them, then you can probably use Pokemon things to help you out.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and I hope you find the info that you need here.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Good to see someone taking an interest in their children's interests! Though Pokemon isn't probably the best way to learn Japanese.

And yes, Pokemon will burn a hole in your pocket. Even if you're interested in only one or two aspects of it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome. I've decided to try Rosetta Stone...we'll see how it works. Suggestions on the best place to get cards for my kids deck?
    Also, we're thinking about getting them DSi for Christmas. I'd like to run the games from cards...known as hacking the DSi. Is it okay to talk about this here? Anybody got a good link on how to do this? We'd buy the games, but I don't want to have to worry about cartridges all over the house. :D

LugiaFreak

Years
    I'm using Rosetta Stone to learn Japanese, too. :3 I think you made a good choice, there -- I found it helpful.

If you like another source for learning Japanese, there is also a game for the DS(i) called My Japanese Coach that will teach you the basics of Japanese as well.

Good luck! :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Welcome to PC! Read the rules first but what a nice thing you must be a ace parent.
    Have you seen any of the programs?

Back