• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Here Lies My Best Friend...and Closest Partner

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Pokemon Death

Here Lies My Best Friend...and Closest Partner

In the games and anime, places such as the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town have captivated the imaginations of many fans. Death is never truly explained, as Pokemon never die the way we know death - they merely faint or are unable to battle until they reach a Pokemon Center. Although death is referenced, it is never truly explored in detail. Instead we're left with the question of what death really is in Pokemon. So, what's your theories on death in the Pokemon franchise? Feel free to use these questions as a guide, but this is about your creativity and your own theories, so try not to just go question by question and answer literally.

• Why do Pokemon not die in the games? Are Pokemon trained never to use more force than necessary to knock out? Does that apply to a level 100 legendary using Hyper Beam on a level 2 Bidoof?
    • Do Pokemon get diseases like normal humans, and can they die of old age? Or are their only cause of death at the hands of other Pokemon or people?
    • Considering the fact that exploring entire regions has never brought up a structure as large as Pokemon Tower but connected to humans, does this send the message that Pokemon death is more important than human death in this world? Is this the right message to send to children, or do you think they wouldn't pick up on this anyway?
    • Do Pokemon feel death the way humans do? Do they understand that it's a part of life, especially if they were raised in a Trainer's care so they didn't experience death often?
    • Do Pokemon go to a better place, or do they believe that they do?

Years
  • Why do Pokemon not die in the games? Are Pokemon trained never to use more force than necessary to knock out? Does that apply to a level 100 legendary using Hyper Beam on a level 2 Bidoof?
    Well the way i see it pokemon aren't capable of killing other pokemon, as seen in the anime even then using physical attacks such as cut or mega punch they seem to have some sort of glow which could be some sort of energy used by pokemon to prevent such effects.
    Do Pokemon get diseases like normal humans, and can they die of old age? Or are their only cause of death at the hands of other Pokemon or people?
    I do believe that there are pokemon diseases. If there is something like Pokerus and poison there must be something that is even worse that could cause death. But see the above comment for the pokemon killing pokemon thing ^-^
    Considering the fact that exploring entire regions has never brought up a structure as large as Pokemon Tower but connected to humans, does this send the message that Pokemon death is more important than human death in this world? Is this the right message to send to children, or do you think they wouldn't pick up on this anyway?
    I think it was done to protect the children, if it were to have a mass graveyard full of pokemon trainers it may be more upsetting than finding a mass graveyard of creatures that don't exist in the real world. But also it could just be the fact that if it did have human death they might need to up the parent guidance rating xD
    Do Pokemon feel death the way humans do? Do they understand that it's a part of life, especially if they were raised in a Trainer's care so they didn't experience death often?
    Well they must feel death and know that its a part of life, its shown that pokemon communicate and its show that pokemon such as cubone and marowak wouldn't be the same if there wasn't death involved.
    Do Pokemon go to a better place, or do they believe that they do?
    Yea i think they do, it was shown in the anime that if they could die they were able to leave their body through the help of ghost pokemon ^-^

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • •Why do Pokemon not die in the games?
    Because it would be too tramatic for the kids

Are Pokemon trained never to use more force than necessary to knock out?
    probably so because most of those moves could actually kill a certain Pokemon

Does that apply to a level 100 legendary using Hyper Beam on a level 2 Bidoof?
    Probably it does because it would be too tramatic for a little kid

•Do Pokemon get diseases like normal humans, and can they die of old age?
    Well since real life animals can get diseases, why not Pokemon since most of them are based on animals

Or are their only cause of death at the hands of other Pokemon or people?
    Any factor can be the reason

•Considering the fact that exploring entire regions has never brought up a structure as large as Pokemon Tower but connected to humans, does this send the message that Pokemon death is more important than human death in this world?
    Well the game is mainly about Pokemon so the death of humans shouldnt really matter in the games

Is this the right message to send to children, or do you think they wouldn't pick up on this anyway?
    I've picked it up when I was younger while playing Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow and it showed me that anyone can die...even Pokemon

•Do Pokemon feel death the way humans do?
    We have feelings and they have feelings so its possible that they can feel the same way we do. Pokemon laugh, cry etc.

•Do Pokemon go to a better place, or do they believe that they do?
    Thats a really good question but I dont think so because they weren't taught like we are that there is a better place.

:t354:TG

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years

I don't think Pokemon are capable of "killing" when it comes to pokemon moves. Like if a legendary pokemon, like say...registeel, uses hyper beam on a bidoof, it can't truley kill that bidoof, but it CAN severly injure the pokemon.

Do Pokemon get diseases like normal humans, and can they die of old age? Or are their only cause of death at the hands of other Pokemon or people?

Yeah; Pokemon can get colds, and other viruses. They can die of old age as well; but, assumably, it'll take longer for the pokemon to die than average animals, or humans. Pokemon can, kill over pokemon naturally; for example, certain pokemon hunt other pokemon; like Pidgeotto, hunts for Caterpie, its prey. Humans can harm a pokemon's natural habitat which can affects its life too.

Considering the fact that exploring entire regions has never brought up a structure as large as Pokemon Tower but connected to humans, does this send the message that Pokemon death is more important than human death in this world? Is this the right message to send to children, or do you think they wouldn't pick up on this anyway?

I don't think in the pokeworld, pokedeaths matter more than human deaths, they just haven't shown the concept of humans harming humans. Eh, I think its...a pretty big message to send to children about the concept of death; do I think its right? Well, I guess its all part of growing up, so I guess so. Some children that play pokemon are probably too young to understand the concept of death though, so no, I don't think they'll pick it up right away.

Do Pokemon feel death the way humans do? Do they understand that it's a part of life, especially if they were raised in a Trainer's care so they didn't experience death often?

Well yeah; pokemon have feelings just like humans do. Like in The First Pokemon Movie, when Ash was "dead" becaus he was turned to stone, all the pokemon cried for him until he was revived.

I believe they do; like go to heaven, etc. In some cases, like the ghost of Marowak, they might have to "fully rest in peace" first before going to the other world.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Why do Pokemon not die in the games? Are Pokemon trained never to use more force than necessary to knock out? Does that apply to a level 100 legendary using Hyper Beam on a level 2 Bidoof?:I think that they die of natural causes, but Hyper Beams from legendaries are enough to cause serious injury, but not death.

: They do get diseases, like ordinary humans; an example is when Ash's Pikachu got colds several times.

: To me, Pokemon deaths are as equally important as human deaths because they're treated as people too.

:IMO, they do.

: I think they go to a better place, if its trainer believes in it.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Hmmm...

Why do Pokemon not die in the games? Are Pokemon trained never to use more force than necessary to knock out? Does that apply to a level 100 legendary using Hyper Beam on a level 2 Bidoof?

While I want to shout game mechanics, I generally believe that within Pok
    émon battles, restraint is used as to make sure that no Pokémon is seriously injured. Various Pokémon that might not be able to defeat a foe in honest combat could easily use a move such as Psychic to strangle their opponent or in the case of fire types, increase their body heat in order to incinerate the competition.

One most keep in mind that not all Pokemon are alike. Pok
    émon such as Venomoth are stated to have extremely short lifespans among the Pokemon world while Legendary and artificial Pokémon such as Golurk and Groudon have existed for thousands of years, with Arceus existing for possibly billions. So in that vein, it seems that while certain Pokémon might have the same mortal qualities as humans do, others are extremely likely to outlive their trainers, if not humanity itself.

That is also based upon the context of what Pokémon you're talking about. An elderly Pidgeotto passing might cause grief among it's trainers, but that's nothing compared to what would happen if a Major Pokémon such as Dialga or Palkia were to fall, which would cause disruptions to the very existence of the fabric of the universe. I don't see what the Pokémon Towers have to do with humans being less important then Pokémon, they just seem to be there to say that most Pokémon aren't immortal

Most Pok
    émon seem to have some type of understanging of death. Animialistic creatures like Rhydon and Ursring view it as part of the natural cycle, humanoids like Alakazam and Hitmonchan view death as something imminent to them in the same way it is to humans, Yamasks already died once, and so on.

One thing that is devastating to many Pok
    émon though, seems to be the scenario of having to watch their trainer die. In the case of Sigilyph, losing their trainers caused them to go into some form of denial, making them follow flight paths they were ordered to roam in order to defend their long gone civilization, seemingly ignoring the fact that there is no longer anything to guard. Others, such as Dragonite, grow bitter and distrusting of the outside world, forever shattered by the fact that the person who raised them is no longer there, shunning the outside world, eventually breaking down to becoming wild again.

As implied by various Ghost types, Pok
    émon do indeed have a soul of some sort, and though the Anime canon may not be the same as the game canon, it is shown that there is at least some form of afterlife for Pokémon shared with by humans.

Last edited:
    Back