• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Hey buddy/sport/champ!"

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Haha, hopefully that title alone gets attention.

So I'm just around today and I noticed something. When particular friends often refer to me as "buddy" it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (lolwut). And when I'm working and older guys say "thanks, man" rather than "thanks, bud" it's also kind of a weird self-esteem increase. But I hate it when my friends refer to me as 'man' because its just 'thanks, Ryan' without saying my name.

...now that I think about it, when my friends use my actual name, it's nice too. XD

So do you guys have any names/nicknames that you enjoy being referred to as? It doesn't have to be limited to stuff like mine, of course. Then are there nicknames you hate?

Years
    I know what you mean my last name is zsuffa zoo-fa and thats what alot of my friends call me and whenever i hear it im look woot! and love my last name but i hate it when people call me mike since its too plain.

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
    XD; Aw, man.

I'm called a number of things. A lot of which I probably shouldn't repeat. Out there in the real world, I'm known as Jemima, Puddleduck, Fluffy, Saphy, and my least favourite, and only by my dad and friends taking the mickey, Sweetheart.

The whole Jemima Puddleduck thing arose from my love of water as a child, and the fact that I would never take my wellies off.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I've never actually (felt?) much from names buddy, sport, man, etc. It's so common. ._.; (Heck, my father called me sport about 45+ times in a phone conversation 'n' I wondered if he knew my name)

However, just acknowledging my presence & actually saying my name is perfectly fine & I like that. Outside of Ry (or jokes like Rybread) I don't have countless nicknames like I do on PC. XD

Franceschi

a.k.a justin timberlake
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2015
    To be fair, not a lot of people use names like buddy, sport and champ in England - in fact, I don't know anyone who does.

However, Fiona can have a lot of different names pulled out of it.
    I've had things such as;

- Fi
    - Fifi
    - Fifu
    - Fizzle
    - Ski
    - Fitona

All of those have stuck (especially the last one) and they make me feel loved. I have no idea why considering most of them are taking the mick.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I thought "buddy" was a semi-insultive remark to make to someone. At least it is where I go to school.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I thought "buddy" was a semi-insultive remark to make to someone. At least it is where I go to school.
    I think that depends on the tone it's used in. D: Although I suppose schools are the same way here, but that's a guess.

Years
    I don't like having my name shortened - I think 'Mike' sounds so common, and I much prefer 'Michael'. As for stuff like 'buddy' and 'champ', the most common one I hear is 'mate', and I'd imagine that's the same for the most of England. =/

Natalie♥

Not even the sky is the limit
    Years
    For some weird reason my old history teacher calls me 'Popcorn'. Why, i don't really know. i think it was because of a shirt I wore once with popcorn on it. But I don't really mind him calling me that. I hate it wehn people call me 'Nat'. It makes me think that they are too lazy to say my whole name. Only 2 people are allowed to call me that without me getting mad at them.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I think that depends on the tone it's used in. D: Although I suppose schools are the same way here, but that's a guess.

Mainly used in an insultive manner, like "Hey BUDDY"

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    I don't really get aled any of that stuff, the only time is when I might be messing around with friends and quoting comedians, of course we always end up calling eachother other stuf as well which is probably not worth repeating.

Occasioanly I get called Gilligan -_-

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Nick... Just Nick... No not Nicholas... nor Nicky *shudder*

People at school often call me Chef... but that's just as bad as *shudder* Nicky *shudder*

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
    Hey there Nicky! xD
    I have a lot of names, most of my friends call me:
    Ericka
    Ricka
    Eria
    Riku
    Erik [not erik_desler]
    Ria
    Those are my names from my friends. I'm fine with them. So does my grandfather.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I don't find it offensive at all when people call me these casual names or whatever, nor do I get all warm inside. I wouldn't normally care about what people call me unless it's directly insulting or something. :B

Master Electrician

Pretty pretty lights
    Years
    Depends on the person. If say, my girlfriend called me "buddy" in anything but a joking manner, I'd be shocked, and maybe a little insulted. But I usually have no problem with pet names or nicknames. I have a rather extensive collection, including:

Ozy
    Osmosis
    Ozmodias
    Ozymandias
    Ozzmeister
    Lord of Metal

And the one that's always struck me as the oddest...

Jewfro

None of these are remotely related to my given name, but it makes it easier since my circle of friends contains a ridiculous number of people with my given name.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lemme think...on the internet, I'm Sydii, Syd, Obsydian, Silver, Silv, SSS, Blacky, and someone called me LemLem once. ._.;;

In real life, I'm Bell and Juicy(because I use to drool a lot, perves). And those adorable pet names are baby, babe, honeybucket, cutiebutt, and umm...oh, wolfie. :3

I hate the name Splatty. D: So many people called me that on here...I really, really hated it, guys. ;/

Back