• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, listen!

Poki

Banned
Years
  • See, I kept getting interrupted today. Like, a lot. Yes, it was embarrassing.

Do you get interrupted often?

How do you deal with it?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I talk too fast. I think that's because I feel pressured that if I don't get my word in I won't be able to talk at all - I kind of feel like those around me wouldn't listen if I wasn't as fluent as I am.

What I'd really like to do instead is talk slowly and calmly, and take interruptions as a lack of interest from those I'm speaking to, and stop. My uncle Paul was like that.

Years
  • I'm an amazing pushover with this sort of stuff in real life. So if I get interrupted, I just let the other person talk. Loud things that aren't music are bad. So I be quiet until the other person stops.

I talk too fast. I think that's because I feel pressured that if I don't get my word in I won't be able to talk at all - I kind of feel like those around me wouldn't listen if I wasn't as fluent as I am.

Was it only me that read this really fast?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

Sometimes I get interrupted. But usually that's when I try talking when everyone's kinda talking at the same time.

Years
  • I'm not the happiest when it happens and it happens all the time, but it doesnt leave a bitter taste, I forget it quickly. (unless it happens way too often, then I avoid talking to or around the interrupter.

Anyway, what I usually do is a short sigh and stare at the side. It usually makes people awkward and uncomfortable so they realize its annoying.

Also there is a difference between a short interruption ("Oh yeah I like that too!"), which I dont mind cos its not that impolite (plus I do it too, yeah double standards a bit), and a longone ("I like that too cos blahwhateverblah") which is kinda rude.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Usually only at work because customers are rude, but besides that nah bro da people listen 2 this

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • i just kinda deal with it.

If I'm in a ****** mood I'll just say 'shut the **** up' and then say it. I really never have anything of value to say anyway so...

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I enjoy seeing people's faces when they realize they just assumed something, interrupted me, and they were incorrect. I deal with this all the time, and if people actually didn't interrupt me every 10 seconds, they'd get all the answers they need, so I'm mostly content in just listening. No more answers for the loudmouths (I just deal).

Years
  • I get interrupted all the time
    unfortunately it is also one of those things that really annoys me

Interrupt me and expect sarcasm, exasperation and rage. Suffer the wrath of the pie.

Sir Codin

Nobutseriously, I don't really get interrupted all that often. Most people pay attention to what I have to say.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I get interrupted only a few times an its really frustrating cause you get offtrack of what you are talking when you get interrupted , but i try to keep my cool

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Please avoid double posting, thanks!

I don't get interrupted too often, but that's because I don't communicate very much with others. When I do though, I typically seethe in a very quiet, passive aggressive way, wait for the person to finish what they're talking about, and force the topic back to what I was saying after commenting on what they interrupted me with. I HATE interruptions. They are a huge pet peeve.

This is in conversation, that is.

In the middle of doing a task I must focus on, I get interrupted all the time. It happens when you live in a small room with another person. I either get interrupted by my mom, who has the absolute most annoying voice and who I will lash out at with an angry: "WHAT?!" or by my fiance. I try not to get so angry at him, but I can't really help it sometimes. I don't like somebody forcibly yanking me out of my focus bubble with their words. When I am focusing on something, everything else becomes completely irrelevant, and I will not rest until it is finished. If something tries to prevent me from that goal, I will snap at it.

Overall, I'm really bad at interruptions. I see them as pointless distractions most of the time that disrupt me from my goal.

Last edited:

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
  • I get interrupted all the time. Has happened my entire life - over half the things I try to say end up being interrupted. How do I deal with it? I just don't talk very much. People obviously don't listen anyhow.

Years
  • Once I get interrupted, the conversation is over. I can only walk away after.
    However, in exchange, I interrupt a lot of people just for the fun of it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Whenever I get interrupted, I just continue talking.

One of my friends interrupts me a lot, and I interrupt her to. We do the exact same thing. We just keep talking to each other about different things at the same time.

This doesn't happen to me a lot of the time. Though, often when I hear someone trying to say something when I'm talking, I tend to just let them get their thought out. I don't really view it as someone interrupting me, though.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • People don't interrupt me very often because I don't speak much to begin with. So when I do say something they're most likely like "wow the quiet girl finally said something!"
    On days though when I'm explaining to someone how to do something or chatting with a friend I still don't get interrupted. I think it's nice people actually listen to me.
    It's mostly my mom that cuts me off when I'm talking at home because on some topics I do talk a lot since it's just between family and at least they mostly understand me and don't grate on my nerves. I just wait for her to quit talking and then I resume from where she cut me off.

Years
  • If I get interrupted by someone, usually my friends :P
    I just stop talking, and let them talk.

Back