• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey there, everyone!

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2022
    My name's Blue Emerald. I've been playing Pokemon for 13 years (I started with the Yellow Version), and ever since I watched the show in '98 (back when it was still syndicated), I've been a fan of Pokemon. My favorite of the games is a tie between Gold Version and Diamond Version -- Gold because it was the game that was the most memorable to me, not to mention how it was the game that really made me feel like I was traveling around a vast wilderness, and Diamond because the additions to the battle system were the best and most sensible, the region was really neat, and it was also the first game in which I caught 'em all!

For the past two years, I'd been working on-and-off on a little sprite-based devamp project on another forum, which I started in order to keep my mind off Black and White so I could avoid spoilers for the first time. Another reason I started the project was in response to many of the opinions that the new Pokemon didn't look like they fit with the older ones, so I figured maybe if the newer ones were designed to look like they belonged in the old GBC games, maybe people would be more accepting of them. I for one think that all Pokemon look like Pokemon regardless; sure, there might be some that aren't as cool or elegant or interesting as others, but I don't ever think badly of them. And the third reason I started this project was so I could sharpen my spriting skills, and learn about how to make sprites within certain limits, like palette and sprite size. Over the course of the project, I'd actually gotten a lot better, to the point where I could take things like lighting and other tricks involving color selection into account. I can even look back at past sprites and see where I could improve on them.

So this devamp project of mine was a project in which I would make G/S/C versions of the Gen III and IV Pokemon, but even now I'm still not done with it. I used to update it every day until college started getting tougher, and after that I couldn't update it as often, or even at all. I've been updating more frequently as of recent, and have started making sprites not only for Pokemon, but for Game Boy-styled interfaces, items, and even overworld tiles. I've started becoming more and more interested in seeing what an actual playable GBC version of Diamond and Pearl would look like! XD In fact, so have several of the followers of my project thread!

That's when one of my friends from the forum recommended that I check out Pokecommunity, and that maybe someday I could work with someone here on making a complete D/P fangame (since my many art and interface assets might just be too much for a GBC ROM hack to handle). So I checked this place out and I was really impressed. I discovered Pokemon Essentials here, and it looks like it could be the perfect tool for me to get started, although I'll first need RMXP. =P There are even some members who are working on improvements on the Gen II games, which is great, because to me the Gen II games did the best at conveying a natural and living world, despite the graphical limitations. In fact, I think I like the GSC art style the most, as the characters and the Pokemon seemed to have this original '90s anime style going on, which I always thought really fit the series. Anyway, this looks like a really busy place!

So, I'm glad to have found this community, and I'd like to see what I can offer while I'm here. Thanks, everyone! :)

Years
  • Wow, this introduction really is long! That's really awesome though, I'm glad to see you wanted to write out such a detailed intro <33

I agree with you about Gold and Diamond, I got very close to the 2nd generation because of the amazing Pokemon designs. As for Diamond, it definitely was the biggest and most noticeable improvement from R/S/E; I spent hooours playing my Japanese Pearl and English Diamond. Was so excited for the games back then I just had to import a Japanese copy.. ;_;

And oh, you're a spriter? Why not post some of your work in our Pixel Art section? :3 I love devamps, they're definitely one of the coolest sprites to look at!

The ROM hacks here are great too, definitely. Recently I've been wanting to play a Pokemon game with increased difficulty, which can easily be found here on PC~!

But yeah, glad you like us so far. n__n We're an awesome community with really nice members and staff, and you seem pretty awesome yourself, so I'm sure you'll fit in perfectly. Have fun and stick around, okay?

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • Welcome to the forums my name is Diablo and I've been into Pokemon since I was 5 Silver version being my first game. However my favourite Pokemon game is White version, reason being the story of the game and cool graphics to go with it.

We are happy to have you on board and part of our PC family hope you have fun here and make heaps of friends :)

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Welcome to the forums! I'd reccomend you have a look at the rules before you get posting around, they'll be the most helpful and useful thing you'll view on the forums.

I'm Pokemoll, though most people just call me Moll for simplicity reasons. You'll usually find me lurking around people's VMs, but when I'm posting I'm either in the Other Voting Polls or the New Users/Welcome sections~ Feel free to drop me a FR or PM if you're lost!

Also, if you have any problems or questions, I'd say PMing those with bold names would be the best idea, as they're always willing to help! I hope you enjoy your stay here~

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Hey dude, welcome to PC!

Devamps have always interested me, I remember looking at a big picture of the entire Pokedex devamped to GBC-style and it just blew my mind lol. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of your artwork if you post it in Pixel Art :D

I think Game Development is where you ultimately want to be though. From what I understand there are people down there looking for partners and teams to work with on creating brand new Pokemon games to flex their creative muscles. I definitely admire your patience - I wouldn't even have the ability to get through creating one sprite without tearing my hair out, let alone an entire game, so I envy your ambition!

But again, welcome to the community! It's not often I see somebody older than me join as a new member, so it's always awesome to see it happen :P. If you ever want to chat my profile is always open, but if not I'll see you around!

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    Hey Blue Emerald! I LOVE YOUR INTRO I JUST THOUGHT I'D LET YOU KNOW. ITS SO LONG AND PARAGRAPH-Y

Sorry if I'm being weird, I'm just a fan of tl;drs, even if I do skin them a fair bit myself. u_u;;;;

But welcome to PC!

All of these fabulous people have beaten me with their fabulous greetings and it's just not fair. ;O; I wanted to make a beautiful greeting myself. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY EVERYONE /overdramatic

But yes, if for any reason you want to speak with someone as crazy awesome as myself, do feel free to shoot me with a PM/VM anytime! :3

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years
  • Hiya there Blue Emerald.
    Colossal post you have there lol. But it definitely tells us a lot about you :) So yeah your best bet for your devamp would be the Game Development/Emulation Sections. I wish I could sprite, i'm going to learn how to soon, but I need to find time for it.
    Well, i'll see you later, I hope to see your progress/it works out for you~
    Bye~.

Vibrava

Linux junkie
    Years
  • Hello Blue Emerald, Nice long, and detailed, post there. I may not have any talent at spriting or such, but I think I am a fair writer. As mentioned, you may want to check out the Haks section for the roms. Lok forward to seeing you around the forum.

Years
  • My name's Blue Emerald. I've been playing Pokemon for 13 years (I started with the Yellow Version), and ever since I watched the show in '98 (back when it was still syndicated), I've been a fan of Pokemon. My favorite of the games is a tie between Gold Version and Diamond Version -- Gold because it was the game that was the most memorable to me, not to mention how it was the game that really made me feel like I was traveling around a vast wilderness, and Diamond because the additions to the battle system were the best and most sensible, the region was really neat, and it was also the first game in which I caught 'em all!

For the past two years, I'd been working on-and-off on a little sprite-based devamp project on another forum, which I started in order to keep my mind off Black and White so I could avoid spoilers for the first time. Another reason I started the project was in response to many of the opinions that the new Pokemon didn't look like they fit with the older ones, so I figured maybe if the newer ones were designed to look like they belonged in the old GBC games, maybe people would be more accepting of them. I for one think that all Pokemon look like Pokemon regardless; sure, there might be some that aren't as cool or elegant or interesting as others, but I don't ever think badly of them. And the third reason I started this project was so I could sharpen my spriting skills, and learn about how to make sprites within certain limits, like palette and sprite size. Over the course of the project, I'd actually gotten a lot better, to the point where I could take things like lighting and other tricks involving color selection into account. I can even look back at past sprites and see where I could improve on them.

So this devamp project of mine was a project in which I would make G/S/C versions of the Gen III and IV Pokemon, but even now I'm still not done with it. I used to update it every day until college started getting tougher, and after that I couldn't update it as often, or even at all. I've been updating more frequently as of recent, and have started making sprites not only for Pokemon, but for Game Boy-styled interfaces, items, and even overworld tiles. I've started becoming more and more interested in seeing what an actual playable GBC version of Diamond and Pearl would look like! XD In fact, so have several of the followers of my project thread!

That's when one of my friends from the forum recommended that I check out Pokecommunity, and that maybe someday I could work with someone here on making a complete D/P fangame (since my many art and interface assets might just be too much for a GBC ROM hack to handle). So I checked this place out and I was really impressed. I discovered Pokemon Essentials here, and it looks like it could be the perfect tool for me to get started, although I'll first need RMXP. =P There are even some members who are working on improvements on the Gen II games, which is great, because to me the Gen II games did the best at conveying a natural and living world, despite the graphical limitations. In fact, I think I like the GSC art style the most, as the characters and the Pokemon seemed to have this original '90s anime style going on, which I always thought really fit the series. Anyway, this looks like a really busy place!

So, I'm glad to have found this community, and I'd like to see what I can offer while I'm here. Thanks, everyone! :)

Oh, hi Blue Emerald. It is Hikari!

I only have a short intro since everyone's got you covered.

(Emulation isn't exactly my specialty but you'll have fun there anyway)

Anyways, feel free to VM me if you wanna talk. I'm pretty adorable and fun to talk to and no, I don't bite.

Have a great time and happy hacking!

- Hikari10

Back