• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS Elite Four Discussion

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well, let's discuss them then. =p

The first-time battles I felt they were all right, certainly - I liked that they had the same Pokemon as in GSC, and although their levels could have been a bit higher (but when your Pokemon didn't end up overleveled anyways it kinda evens out anyways), there are a number of challenges there, along with some 'additions' - while Muk still liked minimising it also had Gunk Shot which it liked to hit with. -_- Houndoom with Nasty Plot also makes it more of the threat than what it was in GSC too, imo.

It's nice that they're also stronger the second time around as well - makes for an extra challenge, particularly if you don't try to grind a bit beforehand. I did find the level jump between Karen and Lance to be a touch much though.

Years
    Well, let's discuss them then. =p

The first-time battles I felt they were all right, certainly - I liked that they had the same Pokemon as in GSC, and although their levels could have been a bit higher (but when your Pokemon didn't end up overleveled anyways it kinda evens out anyways), there are a number of challenges there, along with some 'additions' - while Muk still liked minimising it also had Gunk Shot which it liked to hit with. -_- Houndoom with Nasty Plot also makes it more of the threat than what it was in GSC too, imo.

It's nice that they're also stronger the second time around as well - makes for an extra challenge, particularly if you don't try to grind a bit beforehand. I did find the level jump between Karen and Lance to be a touch much though.

Agreed. I managed to get through the actual E4.
    I thought Lance leading with Salamence & Garchomp (both lv.72) was a bit of overkill though.
    Makes for a nice challenge though I think.

Im currently grinding out some levels and doing some Battle Frontier work to get some BP so I can move tutor a couple of attacks into Ambipoms moveset.
    Its hard though. Especially on something like Houndoom.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    They were very easy for me because I overtrained my Pokemon. I literally OHKOed-2HKOed each of them. Lance was pretty easy compared to the other champions, though.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    Just beat Elite Four today for the first time. My team was:

Swinub Lv.21 (just filling space)
    Poliwrath Lv.30 (mostly same)
    Jumpluff Lv.40 (was my best Pokémon on last battles with PoisonPowder and LeechSeed)
    - LeechSeed
    - Mega Drain
    - U-Turn
    - PoisonPowder
    Electabuzz Lv.41 (have never used this Pokémon before in walkthrough so I tried it this time)
    - Quick Attack
    - Discharge
    - Low Kick
    - ThunderPunch
    Pidgeot Lv.41 (Bug-Fighting killer)
    - Fly
    - Twister
    - Wing Attack
    - Quick Attack
    Typhlosion Lv.48 (My do-all-the-work guy, my favorite Pokémon, was 40 when I first came to League)
    - Swift
    - Quick Attack
    - Lava Plume
    - Flame Wheel

I haven't used any Rare Candys (I have 8 of them at the moment), Proteins, or anything like that. And haven't used even one TM, only HMs. I don't like using those.

Had to try three times and on the fourth time I won by using few Hyper Potion and Revives.
    Will: Everyone died before making damage to me
    Koga: Only few Pokémon touched me, no one got killed
    Bruno: Still easy, but few Pokémon died here and I used Revive to get them back for next match
    Karen: Every other were easy but had some problems with Houndoom as it was faster than my Jumpluff
    Lance: Gyarados got killed by first Discharge. Dragonites weren't so bad. Aerodactyl got me into trouble as it was also faster than my Jumpluff. Killed it with Typhlosion, but had to use some Revives before everyone got dead. Charizard wasn't so bad but I had used almost all of my Revives, so I had to think too. Jumpluff poisoned it two times in this battle but it was recovered by Full Restore 3 times, luckily my Typhlosion was better than Charizard :D

This is my Elite Four story :D

Kelp

<3
    Years
    I always thought the Johto Elite 4 was pretty easy. In my first run of SS, I happened to run into Raikou before I entered Kanto. I know its cheap, but w/Raikou and Lugia, the Elite Four was cake. :]

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Why does Lance have to have THREE Dragonites!

I always thought that was ridiculous myself.

But the first time around, I didn't find the E4 that challenging. The only one that gave me any trouble was Lance, but everyone else was pretty easy.
    The second time around was a little harder, I definitely appreciated the boost in levels and variety of their Pokemon making for a better challenge.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I tend to find Karen and Lance challenging... although Bruno's hard it I forget that it's better to hit Hitmonchan/lee/top with physical moves than special ones......

I disliked how Bruno got rid of his Onix...although at least it didn't turn into a Steelix like in Fr/Lg...that was epic fail imo.

Yes, the rematch level boost is a bit extreme.....but I guess it's so that Lance isn't weaker than a gym leader (Blue's levels are higher than Karen's levels...his Pidgeot is level 72, the same as Lance's Garchomp and Salamence, and all his pokémon except Exeggutor are higher-levelled than Lance's Charizard). Even if he is the ex-champion...

Lance's 3 Dragonite? To show some progression from Fr/Lg! He had 1 Dragonite and 2 Dragonair, which are now all Dragonite, like in the Fr/Lg rematches!

I actually prefer them to Garchomp and Salamence....although all of them are challenging.

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    I still havent beat them. I got to karen, creaming her with machamp and taking out Murkrow with Mew (Yeah, Dark vs Psychic :D), then she sent out houndoom, and I was roadkill. I haven't gone to challenge them again. I'm oily the rusty bits of my team.

Now, I'm freaked out, seeing how a few people are saying lance has level 72s....

Years
    Now, I'm freaked out, seeing how a few people are saying lance has level 72s....

Lance only has pokemon above lv.70 on the second time around against the E4. That being after you have all 16 badges.
    If you havent beaten them the first time, you have nothing to worry about. His highest level pokemon is a lv.50 Dragonite. Any pokemon that is running an Ice attack, along the lines of Ice Fang, Ice Punch or Ice Beam can destroy his team pretty much, with the exception of the Charizard and Gyarados.
    Electrical attacks can take of those 2 for you though.

I found Lance to be easier than Karen to deal with, the rematch in particular.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    and yet no one has even mentioned that Lance is a shameless hacker with 3 <55 dragonites and at least one of them knows outrage >:(

Caught em wild in his invisible cave in the Dragon's Den.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Elite 4 was cake. The only Pokemon that gave me trouble was that dang Houndoom. He could 1 KO every pokemon I had. I came in with a new strategy the second time facing him (still first time with the elite 4) and barely got through him. Everyone else was pretty easy.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Honestly? The Elite Four were pretty poor, both in the original battles and in the rematches. Terrible choice of Pokemon and attacks, way too low levels, and pretty stupid AIs really hampered the experience.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I think the Elite 4 was REALLY easy. You know the E4 sucks if you can easily pwn them with a bunch of Level 35's (which is what my recent team consisted of).

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    I think the Elite 4 was REALLY easy. You know the E4 sucks if you can easily pwn them with a bunch of Level 35's (which is what my recent team consisted of).

Yeah, on my last play through my entire team was in the low 30's. :s

Back