• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS Game Corner Changed - for EVERYWHERE outside Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerSwift

New Breeder
Years
  • As I suspected; The European Union is to blame for this - as with most things that go wrong in Europe: https://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/audiovisual_and_media/co0002_en.htm

Whilst this is only a recommendation (encouraged but voluntary) and not a regulation or directive (compulsory) for EU states, there are many countries in the EU who have strict trading regulations with regards to age limits - some of the strictest being here in the UK. Nintendo obviously doesn't want to lose market shares in such countries, and nor does it want to pay out to release individual versions of the sames (even though they use translators). [Communication mentioned above, pages 5-7, https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2008:0207:FIN:EN:PDF]

It could also be that since this recommendation was released there was a regulation passed, or Nintendo are preempting this happening.

This will probably explain why the restrictions placed in Europe will effect outside countries after the merger.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I hate that they took away the ability to buy coins although the Voltorb Flip game looks like fun. There is one problem, I suck at minesweeper. D:

Anyways, getting enough coins to get those prizes is going to be TEDIOUS! D: D:

OR you could just get them from the Veilstone Game Corner in D/P (which is what i'm planning on doing).

I'm pretty darned sure that you cannot trade coins from another game.

Years
  • I never really liked the Game Corner, if I wanted one of the prizes, I would just save up my cash and buy all the coins I need for the prize. They were always far too expensive to waste my time at a slot machine earning a max of 10 coins to buy a 5000 coin TM, so it's not a big loss that they're changing it.

However, this sounds like a very childish idea. I'll probably never enter it just because that sounds so odd, but I may be wrong and it turns out into a great idea, but I can't really decide, mini-games never really appealed to me. I always just get the game so I can train and trade my pokemon, not so I can run around surfing with a Pikachu, or jump rope or whatever, but if it gets me good items, it might be worth a shot.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    For anyone having a go at the EU(from outside of EU)....

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!!!!!

Whereas me, I have a right.I'm in Britain, where we have THE WEAKEST GOVERNMENT OUTSIDE OF KOREA!!!!(which doesn't have one).Our government does whatever the EU says, so.....yeah.

But, Platinum was better, as you get to get free coins, rather than just getting to play boring games and losing.

Although....I love minesweeper, even though I never understood it.

Dragonpiece

Fan Since 1999
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2016
    You don't have right as much as the next guy. I am pretty mad at Europe, I know there country is in terrible positions alot but why do they have to do this to us?! I love the slots!

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Anyway, based on that video a few pages back, is there only a limited number of tiles you can flip before the round ends? Because it seems like if you see a row with 0 Voltorbs in it, you might as well flip the whole row.

Either there's some arbitrary limit, or that guy was just never very good at minesweeper. xD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes I know. I meant the items you buy with the coins, not the coins themselves. XD
    Oh, you can still trade coins in for items and Pokemon (for otherwsies what's the point of the coins?)
    Either there's some arbitrary limit, or that guy was just never very good at minesweeper. xD
    *coughs at aforementioned guy* =P

Natester

Mostly a lurker
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Iowa
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    You know, I wish Game Freak would have lowered the price of the items/pokemon instead of keeping them the same as it is in the japanese version (which has the slots). I can't imagine how long it would take to get up to 15,000 coins via the Voltorb Flip. :/

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ^ Yes, they do have slots - only though in the Japanese version. Seeing the rom for the english version of hgss isn't out yet, that rom you're playing is just a patched japanese one more than likely, which also has basic english text thrown in for the options, and maybe even some of the towns/npcs up to a point if it's a custom one made by a fan translator.

In the Korean games though (and other versions as well when they come out) there will be no slots - but a different layout altogether. Check a few pages back - there's a video of what it'll really look like for non-Japanese versions.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    I seriously wonder if every single country except Japan hates us...
    EVERY SINGLE GAME CORNER IN HG/SS CHANGED OUTSIDE OF THE JAPANESE GAMES!

It's not fair -.-

Years
    • Age 34
    • usa
    • Seen Jun 3, 2013
    Oh. Saw the video.
    O_O'' [AWKWARD FACE]
    I knew this would be in it..
    I dislike waiting. It is like when it is a few months away then the months go FAST then when it gets near it seems forever.
    Anyways, I've been playing Pokemon SS R0M 85% English for the past 4 hours today.

Natester

Mostly a lurker
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Iowa
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    You know, when HG/SS comes out in english, I hope there will be a better understanding of this voltorb flip game. The thing i'm so butthurt about is that Game Freak forgot to lower the prices of the prizes (the porygon still costs 9999 coins) and the payout in voltorb flip is very low (the first level at least).

Just my two cents.

Skitty Crazy

I want cake.
    Years
  • Mixed feelings. I feel kind of bad they're taking out such a long-time thing as slots, but I never really was into them anyways... I would just amulet coin some richies, and buy the coins for prizes. xP

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • I'm really happy i got the japanese one but i would probs try out my friends one just to see wat this new thing is like. (y)

pokefangunner

PokeGleek
    Years
  • Well at least that's what serebii.net states. Info in the quote:

So it looks like not just Europe, and not even just them and Australia, but everyone has changed slots this time around. Isn't that the greatest? But on the flip side at least they did something better than what they did with Europe's Platinum and added in a different game instead. Now that's a way to bypass gambling laws and... idk, higher game ratings on the gambling aspect and the such for other places, I suppose?

Discuss.

ill miss the slots but more games the better!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back