• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Years
    Also, what other Pokemon have perfect 25 stats (if any)?
    Ditto, Mew, Giratina's Origin Forme and Arceus.
    Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I have a quick question. Do you think I should evolve my Dragonair into a Dragonite, or just leave her as she is? I know you'll say that it's all my decision, but I'd like some input. So? What do you think? I really like Dragonair, and not a big fan of Dragonite, but I hear that Dragonite is MUCH stronger than Dragonair.... Help, please!!! XD Thanks in advance!
    If you are serious about Pokemon and want to battle with others, then evolve it. If you could care less about that stuff and just want to play the game with your favorites, then don't evolve it if you don't want to.

And those all learn it by egg moves. Easiest way is to get a male Smeargle, get it to Sketch Ice Punch somehow (double battle) and breed it with Sneasel/Weavile.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Who do I have to breed with my weavile to get a sneasel with ice punch (egg move)? :( I've already tried my machop and electrike..

Aside from Smeargle, the way I personally did it was by getting a male Buneary, which is achieved by mating a female with a male Medicham or Hitmonchan, which learn Ice Punch through level-up. Otherwise, you can always use the move tutors in Battle Tower, but those moves are always so expensive. xD

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I have a quick question. Do you think I should evolve my Dragonair into a Dragonite, or just leave her as she is? I know you'll say that it's all my decision, but I'd like some input. So? What do you think? I really like Dragonair, and not a big fan of Dragonite, but I hear that Dragonite is MUCH stronger than Dragonair.... Help, please!!! XD Thanks in advance!

It's a classic question of whether aesthetics is more important than power, which is the case with a lot of evolutions. Personally, I think if you have a strong affection for Dragonair (which is understandable, I love Dragonair too xD), it wouldn't be a huge problem to keep it in that stage for your own personal use (as in in-game trainer battles and wild Pokémon).

But honestly, if you want to use it competitively, its weaker base stats and smaller movepool hinder it greatly. I'd say make two, one Dragonair and one Dragonite~ No harm in just saving Dragonite for serious stuff.

Last edited:

Zheeph

2794 3335 3469 - SoulSilver FC
    Years
    So guys, hi again. I finally reached Kanto yesterday and Lyra calls me, yelling that i should really take a sudowoodo to route 36, i put the tree man in first place of my party and i talk to him and all he does is look at trees. What was she trying to make me do? The time i took trying to figure out what to do with sudowoodo cost me 1 hour of training <.>

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    So . . . are we back to the dreaded days where we can't re-battle trainers unless they call you on the Pokégear? Or is there a way that I don't know of? I'm pre-Elite Four right now, by the way.

Years
    So guys, hi again. I finally reached Kanto yesterday and Lyra calls me, yelling that i should really take a sudowoodo to route 36, i put the tree man in first place of my party and i talk to him and all he does is look at trees. What was she trying to make me do? The time i took trying to figure out what to do with sudowoodo cost me 1 hour of training <.>
    Pretty much all of what Lyra/Ethan say over the Pokegear is just talking to the Pokemon and getting different text than usual.
    So . . . are we back to the dreaded days where we can't re-battle trainers unless they call you on the Pokégear? Or is there a way that I don't know of? I'm pre-Elite Four right now, by the way.

You can call the trainers on certain days and time of days and they will offer to have rematches. I believe you can do this as many times as you want. List of trainers, times, and locations here.

Years

Lyra/Ethan sometimes calls to tell you special interactions some Pokémon do when they are in a place which have some relation to them, and these interactions make happiness go up a bit. For example, Bellsprout dances at the Sprout Tower when you interact with it. Same thing with Sudowoodo, which imitates a tree at Route 36. There is a list of the special interactions in Serebii HGSS Partner Pokémon page , if you want to know.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    Beginning Of Game Details Help

Hello.

Ever since I heard about shiny pokemon, I've wanted one thing: a pokedex where every picture of a pokemon is shiny. I had hoped that SS would be the game I could do this on, but it appears to be impossible.

If I had a shiny pokemon on another game, is there any way for me to add it's picture to the pokedex before battling my rival? I don't think you can trade with only one pokemon, and I don't think you can catch a pokemon before battling your rival so that you can trade. If either of these statements are false or if you know a way to get a pokemon's image into the pokedex before battling the rival, please let me know.

Thanks for reading

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    There's no way to get a pokemon(other than cheating) other than your starter before you battle your rival, not even from the pokewalker.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    can you soft reset in the new additions of heart gold and soul silver to get a shiny starter ive heard rumors but i wanted to confirm here
    Charmander moveset
    swagger
    captivate
    mudslap
    double team
    XDDDDDDDDDDD

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    can you soft reset in the new additions of heart gold and soul silver to get a shiny starter ive heard rumors but i wanted to confirm here...

Yes you can.

If you save your game when you are standing in front of the table/whatever thing that has the starter Pokemon in their Poke Balls, you can then peek at the Pokemon and see if any of them are shiny and if they aren't, SR and look again and rinse and repeat.

Sorry I can't help you with your Charmander's moveset question, though.

Years
    Just wondering, but after you beat Suicune can you find Eusine anywhere?
    I'm told that in crystal version you could go back to Cerulean city to talk to him, but what about in heart gold?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    im at the last gym leader(johto) and i have 6 pokemon lvl 34 and there under level anyway whats the best place to grind a few levels before takeing her on?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Ice Cavern. You get the best experience there from Delibird, Jynx, and Golbat - around 550-620 per kill. Flee from the Swinub.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Just wondering, but after you beat Suicune can you find Eusine anywhere?
    I'm told that in crystal version you could go back to Cerulean city to talk to him, but what about in heart gold?

In Crystal version, you could go back and meet Eusine at Celadon Pokémon Center, but to my knowledge, once Suicune is captured in HG/SS, he disappears.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
    Are there any pokemon that can learn FAlse swipe as well as a move that puts the opponent to sleep? Well I'm guess there are but I can;t think of any right now block and mean look would be a plus as well or even block/mean look and false swipe.

Years
    Smeargle.

That's all I know of, sorry.

Does anybody know what you have to do to unlock Mystery Gift? (I.e. where in-game, before it's available on the menu. I know you don't need a password)

pm me with answers please

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Are there any pokemon that can learn FAlse swipe as well as a move that puts the opponent to sleep? Well I'm guess there are but I can;t think of any right now block and mean look would be a plus as well or even block/mean look and false swipe.

Smeargle is probably your best bet.

There's also Gallade with Hypnosis and false swipe but that takes too much effort to do.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    If you don't mind putting in a little more effort, you can do what I did. Breed Ghastly (w/ Mean Look) with Ralts until you get a male Ralts that knows Mean Look. Level it to Kirlia then keep it as Kirlia until it learns Hypnosis at level 50. Use a Dawn Stone, evolve it into a Gallade, and teach it False Swipe.

Or Smeargle, like the others said.
    I've also seen people use a Parasect that knows Sleep Powder and False Swipe. They simply use another Mean Looker and Baton Pass to the Parasect.

Years
    Yeah. My advice for a combo is, and this is tough:

Smeargle
    -Mean Look
    -Spore
    -False Swipe
    -Baton Pass

Mean Look, followed by Spore, followed by False Swipe, followed by Baton Pass, followed by:

Dugtrio. Arena Trap means no way is it escaping, even if it wakes up.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Dugtrio. Arena Trap means no way is it escaping, even if it wakes up.
    The only issue with Arena Trap is it doesn't affect Flying-types or Pokémon with Levitate, like Latias/Latios. I tried using a Dugtrio with an Iron Ball to get the roamers in Platinum and it didn't work.

Back