• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Does anyone know how to solve the puzzle for the ho oh in the ruins of alpha? I've tried but I couldn't figure out the pieces. Any guide for it. Let me know thanks. I really want to catch the rest of the unkowns.
    There's a Youtube video on the Ruins of Alph that I didn't make (so I'm NOT just advertising the video) found here. If you go to 7:45 into the video, you'll be right in time for the Ho-Oh puzzle. It's the only way to actually guide you through the puzzle aside from "Spin those pieces around and hope for the best."

Because really, that's all one could say on it without a video or a really long walkthrough.

I know you can get them as pokeathlon prizes, don't know where else)
    Heart Scales can be found by Rock Smashing in these locations: Cianwood City, Dark Cave, Route 19, Rock Tunnel, Vermilion City, Victory Road, Tohjo Falls. It can also be found with the ability PickUp and on the PokeWalker course Beautiful Beach.

Years
    So, I'm about to get my 4th badge in HG - and all my Pokemon are above level 30. I've only got 4 pokemon in my party thus far: Slowpoke (Water/Psychic), Slugma (Fire), Ampharos (Electric), Bayleef (Grass)

I was wondering what would be a good pokemon that will know the move FLY to put in my party?

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    So, I'm about to get my 4th badge in HG - and all my Pokemon are above level 30. I've only got 4 pokemon in my party thus far: Slowpoke (Water/Psychic), Slugma (Fire), Ampharos (Electric), Bayleef (Grass)
    I was wondering what would be a good pokemon that will know the move FLY to put in my party?

Well, i always have a rough time picking a flying poke, almost all the times i stick with Dragonite but i can recommend you Honchkrow or Pidgeot.

EDIT: or you could try Togekiss =D

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, i always have a rough time picking a flying poke, almost all the times i stick with Dragonite but i can recommend you Honchkrow or Pidgeot.

EDIT: or you could try Togekiss =D

Looks like you've read my mind :shocked: I am indeed planning on getting a Dratini from that cave. But then I realised that it will take a while before it gets to Dragonite :\

I've got a Grass Type, Water Type, Psychic Type, Grass Type, Electric and will have Dragon Type. Just need a dark type

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010

In terms of immediate availability, choices are kinda low. You can get a Murkrow from the pokewalker, and then trade for a Dusk stone (or do the Bug Catching Contest after national dex) to evolve it into Honchkrow. Of you can catch the spearow/pidgey family at this point in the game, but they aren't really strong endgame contenders. But its good for now to faster traveling with Fly. Between the two, for the levels you're probably dealing with at that point (around 25-30ish), Fearow sticks out as the better choice...its got better speed and attack than Pigeotto, and learns Aerial Ace by then too, and can help against Chuck (as a back up for Slowpoke).
    If you are willing to train and raise happiness for a pokemon, then you can add Crobat to the list, which I personally would pick over fearow/pidgeot any day.

Further in the game, the legendary birds are always an option, as is Dragonite, and the other birds (including the Hoenn and Sinnoh based ones once the national dex is obtained).

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    Looks like you've read my mind :shocked: I am indeed planning on getting a Dratini from that cave. But then I realised that it will take a while before it gets to Dragonite :\

I've got a Grass Type, Water Type, Psychic Type, Grass Type, Electric and will have Dragon Type. Just need a dark type

Umbreon or sneasel shoul be a great Dark pokemon, i'll probably vote for Tyranitar but since you want a Dragonite, is almost imposible have a full tyranitar because raise levels is so hard =S

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    When can I start trading downstairs in the PokeCenter? Everywhere I read, it says as soon as I have the Pokedex - well, I have that but it's still unaccessible. Do I need to defeat Falkner?

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    A question regarding Pokewalkers.
    I just got a SoulSilver copy. However, I have no need for the Pokewalker included, so I wanted to link it up with my HeartGold.
    This is where the problem comes : my HeartGold already has a Pokewalker registered.
    So... how do I link with HeartGold ? :/

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    When can I start trading downstairs in the PokeCenter? Everywhere I read, it says as soon as I have the Pokedex - well, I have that but it's still unaccessible. Do I need to defeat Falkner?

to use the trade downstairs you need the 1st badge, to use the trade upstairs in the union room for local trading you only need the pokeex

A question regarding Pokewalkers.
    I just got a SoulSilver copy. However, I have no need for the Pokewalker included, so I wanted to link it up with my HeartGold.
    This is where the problem comes : my HeartGold already has a Pokewalker registered.
    So... how do I link with HeartGold ? :/

you can only have 1 pokewalker registred per game

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    meganium: my least favorite starter evolution lol but ok it's fine.

umbreon/espeon: espeon is better than umbreon in general. umbreon has lower attack and better defense, but isn't really a defensive pokemon because it's not that much higher. plus with the lower attacks, and the fact that it doesn't learn any good dark moves really (STAB) make it pretty weak.
    >> espeon however has high sp atk and speed so you'll be able to attack quickly and strongly enough for the lower defenses not to be any problem (ie making the opposing pokemon faint before it ever gets to attack you).
    so I'd say espeon

starmie/lapras: well you already have a sp. attacking psychic type on your team (espeon) so it's kind of a waste to put it in. if you put lapras in, you'll gain an ice type to your team and, like you said, it's a tank so you'll gain that too. good for switching in during battle and such when you need to switch and don't want the one you're switching to to be instantly killed. you can base your movesets for your team accordingly. so I'd say lapras

ampharos: sure why not.

fearow: that's a tough flying type. it's very fast, and has very good attack, which, as said above, makes a very good combination, but dodrio seems to be better. even better attack, and slightly better defense, too. I'd say go with dodrio instead of fearow.

arcanine: well houndoom is good too. they're both good pokemon. arcanine has slightly better stats, like defenses and...well that pretty much it, but houndoom has the advantage of being dark-typed. that makes it immune to psychic, but also weak against fighting. well, arcanine is generally more powerful but houndoom just as good if you want to get it. but houndour is on route 7 (kanto)... there's always trade though!

for heracross: it's mainly fighting, so having one on your team would be good against normal, rock, steel, ice, and dark. arcanine covers ice and steel, and lapras/maganium covers rock. but normal and dark you have nothing super effective against.

- you can take out maganium. the types that grass is super-effective against are covered by other types on your team. so it really has no advantage besides being your starter who you love. note that meganium has high defenses while heracross has really high attack power. choose which one you want for your battle style.

- you can't take out espeon. too many type advantages lost if you did

- same with lapras

- you could take out ampharos. flying is covered by lapras and water would be covered by meganium. those are the two types electric is supereffective against. this would be better than meganium...

- if you took out houndoom/arcanine that would mean...well, nothing. everything is covered. but fire is good and these pokemon are powerful...

- flying...supereffective against fighting, grass, and bug. these are covered already. flying isn't really that good so this might be the one to take...

well, of the above, the best ones to take out for heracross would be ampharos or dodrio. dodrio has good atk and speed (good combo!) but ampharos has a better (sp)attack power (though bad speed...), better defenses, and better hp. also lapras is better with water than ice so if you were to take ampharos away you'd be losing strength anainst flying-types. I'd say take away dodrio.

FINAL TEAM:
    - meganium
    - espeon
    - lapras
    - ampharos
    - heracross
    - arcanine (or houndoom if you're willing to trade or wait till route 7 (kanto))
    Wow thanks for your great response.

I've decided to edit my teams a bit, the following is my team, their nicknames, and where to first get them.

Typhlosion - Chilli
    Espeon - Marmaduke - Goldenrod City
    Lapras - Laplace - Union Cave FRIDAY
    Ampharos - Tesla - Just below Violet City.
    Fearow - Bravebird - Before/after Union Cave.
    Heracross - Alphonse - Headbutt trees.

Last edited:

1 Randall

Grandmaster Trainer
    Years
    4 Questions

As stated in the title, I have 4 questions. Quizzical you might say, But hey, It's 3 legitimate requests. Ok!
    1) Where do I find a great water Pokemon to beat Brock in Pewter City?
    2) How do I stop my Oh - So - Cute Psyduck to stop trying to evolve? He is already holding something, And I am tired of every level he gets, He evolves and I gotta press ''B''.
    3) What is a good strategy to beat Brock?
    4) Will you please rate my CURRENT Pokemon Team?
    ~Level 50 Snorlax
    ~Level 70 Typhlosion
    ~Level 30 Red Gyrados
    ~Level 22 Furret <-- (He is my Field Hogger)
    ~Level 45 Miltank
    ~Level 22 Zubat <-- For ''Fly''
    Also and if possible, Please name a high level flying pokemon other than Ho - Oh that can use ''Fly''? Thanks SO MUCH in advance!
    ~Randall
    (Field Hogger - A Pokemon that is most used for Field Moves and rarely for battle.

Last edited:
    Years
    1. Gyarados is really quite good already, you'd just have to level him up. Lapras is another good one & can be caught in Union Cave on Fridays.

2. It won't stop trying to evolve unless you give it an everstone. That's the only way to make it not try to evolve until it hits lv.100. :/

3. Lol, I'm not much help here. I just nailed him with water/grass/fighting attacks until I beat him. My party were all lv.50-55, I think.

4. Okay, you definitely need a better flying type. Either train the Zubat (because it's about to evolve and Crobat is pretty awesome), or pick a different bird. There aren't really any places to catch naturally high level ones in this game, unless you manage it in the safari zone. At best, you can get a Fearow/Pidgeotto in high 20s down near Fuchsia, or a Skarmory around lv30 south of Blackthorn. Either way you're going to have to train.
    As for the rest of your party, Gyarados and Typhlosion are both really good. Now, Snorlax and Miltank are both high defense normal-types, so I'd get rid of one or the other and use something else, like a psychic or electric. I understand why you have Furret in there, but it's really not good. But if you can't afford to swap it out, then I'd suggest at least training up the other 5 you pick to cover for it. :] Your party's not that bad potentially, you just need to train them all up a bit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2010
    Can someone rate my pokemon team as of now? Thanks in advance. :)

1. Feraligatr
    2. Dragonite
    3. Ho-oh
    4. Arcanine
    5. Venasaur
    6. Mewtwo

I was looking for variety of types, so if anyone can give advice on that, it would be great!

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    Okay, I've been all over the place, and I'll probably kick myself in the face when someone answers this, but- where do i find the seal case?

Years
    Wow thanks for your great response.

I've decided to edit my teams a bit, the following is my team, their nicknames, and where to first get them.

Typhlosion - Chilli
    Espeon - Marmaduke - Goldenrod City
    Lapras - Laplace - Union Cave FRIDAY
    Ampharos - Tesla - Just below Violet City.
    Fearow - Bravebird - Before/after Union Cave.
    Heracross - Alphonse - Headbutt trees.

alright. just want to note my mistake lol - in my advice I replaced fearow for heracross because heracross was better but forgot you needed a flyer heh... sorry for that :D

the team you have there is good. I want to point out another mistake I made :nervous: though - when I was giving you advice for flyers, I totally forgot about the good ones. crobat and dragonite are much better (and my favorite flying types which makes me again wonder how I'd forget lol). dragonite's hard to get, but crobat's really easy as long as you've got some happiness berries (kelpsy, grepa, hondew, grepa, or tamato). as long as you've got 1 you can use the berry planter to make more. level zubat to 22 and level once more with enough happiness to get crobat. I'd seriously advise replacing crobat for fearow

[if you want to know: crobat has just as good attack, a lot better speed, and a lot better defenses. much better! :)]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Okay, I've been all over the place, and I'll probably kick myself in the face when someone answers this, but- where do i find the seal case?
    In the route just before Olivine, you have to feed the sick Miltank 8 Oran Berries. After that, one of the little girls next to the Miltank will give you the Seal Case.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Can someone rate my pokemon team as of now? Thanks in advance. :)

1. Feraligatr
    2. Dragonite
    3. Ho-oh
    4. Arcanine
    5. Venasaur
    6. Mewtwo

I was looking for variety of types, so if anyone can give advice on that, it would be great!

Fire and Flying are already convered by Arcanine and Dragonite, so I would replace Ho-Oh with another Pokemon, preferably an Electric (Ampharos, Raichu), Ground (Donphan, Nidoking, Rhyperior, Mamoswine), or Rock-type (Tyranitar, Rhyperior). It's already a fantastic team, though.

You have to heal the sick Miltank on the farm on Route 39. One of the little girls will then give it to you.

Years
    Right now I'm trying to play the rental pokemon for bp points in the battle tower. And the battle is extremely hard for me. I only won 1 round lost 2 rounds. It is extremely hard. Has anyone experience this section of the battle tower. The pokemon in the rental sucks.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Right now I'm trying to play the rental pokemon for bp points in the battle tower. And the battle is extremely hard for me. I only won 1 round lost 2 rounds. It is extremely hard. Has anyone experience this section of the battle tower. The pokemon in the rental sucks.

Rental Pokemon? Are you referring to the Battle Factory? If so, yes, the Battle Factory can be very difficult, and it's definitely not the most ideal place to rack up BP. The best place in my opinion would be the Arcade, as it's arguably the easiest facility to defeat.

Years
    Rental Pokemon? Are you referring to the Battle Factory? If so, yes, the Battle Factory can be very difficult, and it's definitely not the most ideal place to rack up BP. The best place in my opinion would be the Arcade, as it's arguably the easiest facility to defeat.

Which arcade? I also want to do some breeding natures. My team really sucks. Does anyone know where I can read on how to breed a certain nature? Thanks.

Back