• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hi there! I was just looking for some advice...

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    While browsing the inter webs I came across this forum, I didn't even realize it was a pokemon place until after I registered, hehe. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a simple way or a way at all, with any of the 2d game engines out there to create "mmorpg style" character customization.

You know, change hair, eyes, clothes, etc. What ever options including skills, attributes, all the way to starting weapon.

Or do I have to use python? lol!

I only bother to ask here because the community seems nice from the posts I've read, and you all seem knowledgeable about this subject. :)

Btw, this seemed to be a pretty difficult string of words to search for, lol. I have tried the forum search to no avail. Sorry if it's a repost or unrelated to pokemon gaming. ;d

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yeah, with some scripting/programming knowledge it's easily possible. There are even some ready-made scripts for this kind of thing; for example, if you're using RPG Maker XP, try searching rmxp.org for 'visual equipment script'. This should easily get you what you want.
    But if I were you, I'd learn some scripting/programming anyway (as you said, such as Python). It will really help when you're making a game, no matter what kind of game it is or what software you use. In fact, one of the first scripts I made for my game was a character customisation system very similar to what you're describing; this just proves that it's not very hard. So go for it!

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    Thanks for the reply! I'll check into that. Any more information would be greatly appreciated! :)

Back