• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hibernate, sleep or shut down?

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years
    I rarely shut down.... Maybe each 3 days? (Desktop)

Both my laptops get shut down, why? I have no surface where they can be safe.... Anyways, the fan being on cooling down the CPU while the lappy is on hibernate just gathers more dust, which just means I'd have to open it sooner to clean it up....

magikarpower

Experienced Collector
    Years
    Back when I had a desktop, I left it on all the time other than rebooting when a new installation occurred, updates, whathaveyou. I also rebooted once every month if i didn't do so already or if I needed to Defrag or do a virus scan because I would boot into Safe Mode. With my netbook, it will stay on all night because I torrent on a schedule but during school I put it in sleep so I can get it started quickly in my Microsoft Engineering Class.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that feature was absent from XP, as well. It seems to be a development that has occurred since 2005.
    well i remembe i usede to use sleep in XP. i think it was in SP3 only which a lot of people didn't get if they turned off automatic updates

Last edited:
    Years
    well i remembe i usede to use sleep in XP. i think it was in SP3 only which a lot of people didn't get if they turned off automatic updates

I know that XP has a sleep mode. What I was talking about was that it doesn't save your session to the hard drive, and it only writes it to the RAM, which means that if the computer loses power, your session will be lost. Vista and 7 solve this problem by saving your session to the hard drive as well as keeping it loaded into the RAM when you tell your computer to sleep.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I put my laptop into Hibernate, since it has a tendency to wake up from Sleep mode on its own sometimes. Coming out of Hibernate takes a lot less time than booting up, and if I'm in the middle of something I can just leave it open and it'll be there waiting for me when I bring my laptop out of hibernation.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I always fully shut down when I get the chance to do so. When I'm out and about with my laptop, however, hybrid sleep is the best.

(What's hybrid sleep? That's what happens when you combine sleep and hibernate. It does what sleep does... keeping stuff in memory in a low-power state... while storing everything to the hard disk at the same time. That way, it's both fast and safe!)

Years
    I'm usually the one to use shut down after I have finished my time on my laptop. But if I want to return to my computer after running off I'll lock (password protect) my computer and leave it open.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    My battery basically feeds off of my charger now, so I always have to have my laptop plugged in if I'm going to use it. Because of that, normally what I do is when I know I'm not going to be using my computer for awhile or I'm going to bed, then I'll shut it down. If I'm just taking my laptop downstairs or I'm going to use it after a moderate time being away, then I'll put it in hibernate so I get a quick start up.

I hardly ever put my laptop in Sleep mode manually. If it goes to sleep mode, then it'll do it on its own if I left it on for too long.

.Alvin

Little Mons†er
    Years
    Always shut down my computer. my dad complains about the noises my computer makes at night, and how much electricity it wastes if I leave it on and don't use it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    I put it into sleep mode unless I am going to bed or something, then I shut down.

There is very few cases when Hibernate would be necessary. Only when you had no source of power for a long time and needed everything saved (though sleep can last for several days).

Guest123_x1

Whenever I have a crapload of programs open, I use Hibernate (unless I find out I have updates waiting to be installed, then I close everything and select "Install Updates and Shut Down"). I may just shut down whenever I have only one or two programs open.
    I use Sleep/Standby whenever I leave the house for a short period of time (usually to go for walks).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I usually hibernate - only at times do I put my computer to sleep. I'll restart it/shut down every so often too.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I prefer hibernation usually...saving a reboot for issues/updates and whatnot. To me shutting down wastes more time than hibernating does, because it takes longer to boot back to a useable state.

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
    Years
    I hardly do any of the sort, with a $300 dollar surge protector with a 4hr battery life I leave my PC 24/7 unless I do updates and or cleaning out the tower with air in a can, and replacing hardware.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Hibernation is shut down and saves your stuff so PC comes on when you boot up, Only use restart when the laptop needs updating :D

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Sleep about 99% of the time. I shut down when it might be going under rough conditions or for extended outages without power.

Back