• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hidden Names?

Years
    Alot of the names of Pokemon are related to words
    Ratata - Rat
    Charmander - Char: To burn the surface of; scorch.
    Squirtle - Squirt: To wet with a spurt of liquid.
    Bulbasaur - Bulb: Underground stem or root.
    Meowth - Meow?
    Persian - Purr
    Aerodactyl - Pterodactyl (Flying dinosaur)

;x

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    It's not just the English names that are portmanteaus, it's all languages.

Another one "Porygon" which "Pory" means High Intellegence and "Gon" is the Venezuelan nationals abbreviation of "guevon" which is there way of greeting a friend, so "Porygon" stands for greeting a friend with High Intelligence.

I'm pretty sure Porygon is suppose to be polygon. But it's got that 'r' because the Japanese tend to pronounce 'l's as 'r's.

I never understood why jynx was named jynx though lol

A jinx is a hex, as in a spell.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I just realised this last night, some pokemon names have hidden names inside their name

ARTICUNO - ARTIC, UNO, Uno means ONE in Spanish
    ZAPDOS - ZAP, DOS - Dos means TWO In Spanish
    MOLTRES - MOL, TRES - Tres means THREE In Spanish

Any More Like This?

I've been playing pokemon for over ten years and I never knew that...

I feel so stupid! It's like playing professor Layton all over again!

Hmmm I don't really have any interesting ones of my own that aren't obvious already...

Giovani''s name has "geo" as in the earth, as in the ground type, hidden in it.

Geo-vani, Gio-vani. eh? eh?

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    Wow, you are just getting this? About 1/3 of all Pokemon have meaning in the names. Feel like you just don't pay any attention. :D

-Okami

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Wow, you are just getting this? About 1/3 of all Pokemon have meaning in the names. Feel like you just don't pay any attention. :D

-Okami
    Correction. Every Pokemon has a meaning in it's name. Possibly my favorites are Makuhita and Hariyama. They are both ranks in sumo wrestling, and they both look like they could be sumo wrestlers, eh?

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    well there you go:
    Lunatone because Luna in spanish means Moon, Solrock the same, Sol means Sun

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    Koffing & Weezing = What you would do if you was to get gassed.
    wait... that doesn't mean the next evolution of them is Farting? or some kind of different spelling? Or even Burping. Well, the possibilities are endless.

Psyduck: Psy(short for Psychic) duck(well because its a duck?)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2010
    I've been playing pokemon for over ten years and I never knew that...

I feel so stupid! It's like playing professor Layton all over again!

Hmmm I don't really have any interesting ones of my own that aren't obvious already...

Giovani''s name has "geo" as in the earth, as in the ground type, hidden in it.

Geo-vani, Gio-vani. eh? eh?
    Giovani is an Italian name. >_>
    It's pronounced Jo-vani. But the English language kind of bastardized it into Gio-vani.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    I've always wondered about Squirtle. One would think that it is a combination of Squirt (because it is a water type) and tle (the second half of turtle).

But, look at its tail. I'm pretty sure it's actually supposed to be Squir (short for squirrel, again, look at its squirrel like tail) and tle (turtle). Squirtle is a squirrel turtle.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    Every Pokémon's name has hidden words. For example, look at the word Charmander. Char is the Japanese word for fire and "mander" is "salamander" cut short. Turtwig is another easy example. Tur = turtle and twig = twig because it has a tree growing on it. Every time I encounter a Pokémon on the games, I try to decipher its name.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
    ^Char does not mean fire in japanese, it is english as in something is charred or burnt.

Most of Pokemon original names in japanese always have something to do with them.
    Below are the names of pokemon i have so far that have not been renamed in english.

Suiccune (Sui) means water in japanese.
    Raikou (Rai) means lightning in japanese.
    Entei (En) means blaze in japanese.
    Mewtwo, most obvious is 'second mew'
    Pikachu (Pika) is the sound of an electric current in japanese and (chu) the noise a mouse makes.
    Raichu (Rai) meaning lighting and (chu) as stated above.
    Girafarig, when written in japanese aswell as english, is spelt the same backwards.
    Starmie (Star) as in the sky.

Edit:
    In japanese, there are alot of so called "hidden names"

Bellossom is キレイハナ (kirei hana) which means "beautiful flower"
    Kabuto is カブト (Kabuto) a japanese war helmet.
    Gloom is クサイハナ (Kusai hana) which means "smelly flower"
    Nuzleaf is コノハナ (Konohana) Which means "tree's flower"
    Rattata is コラッタ (Koratta) Which means "small rat", its evolution Raticate's name in japanese Means "rat".
    Sharpedo is サメハダー (Samehada) which means "shark skin"
    Scizor is ハッサム (hassamu) which means "scissors"

Eevee's evolutions are named "Sandazu". "Showazu", "Buusutaa", "Leafia" and "guleicia", "bulakkii".
    ^ Thunders (Jolteon) Showers (Vaporeon) Booster (Flareon) Leafier (Leafeon) Glacier (Glaceon) and Blacky (Umbreon).

The bird trio are "Fureeza", "Sandaa", and "Fuaiyaa". Also, on a side note, the only legendaries to be renamed in english.
    ^Freezer (Articuno) Thunder (Zapdos) Fire (Moltres)

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    In French, there's:

Héricendre (Cyndaquil) - it's derived from Hérisson (Hedgehog) and Cendre (Cinder)
    Feurisson (Quilava) - it's derived from Feu (Fire) and Hérisson (hedgehog)
    Piafabec (Spearow) - it's derived from Bec (Beak)
    Papilusion (Butterfree) - it's derived from Papillion (Butterfly) and Illusion (Illusion)
    Racaillou (Geodude) - it's derived from Caillou (Pebble)
    Melofee (Clefairy) - it's derived from Fée (Fairy)
    Sabelette (Sandshrew) - it's derived from Sable (Sand) and -ette, a cute addition on the end of names
    Wattouat (Mareep) - it's derived from Watt (Watt)
    Lainergie (Flaafy) - it's derived from Energie (Energy)
    Fantominus (Ghastly) - it's derived from Fantôme (Ghost) and Minus (Less)
    Spectre (Haunter) - it's derived from Spectre (Spector)
    Ectoplasma (Gengar) - it's derived from Ectoplasma (Ectoplasm)
    Leviator (Gyrados) - it's derived from Leviathan
    Poissirene (Goldeen) - it's derived from Poisson (Fish) and Reine (Queen)
    Poissiroy (Seaking) - it's derived from Poisson (Fish) and Roy (King)
    Joliflor (Bellossom) - it's derived from Joli (Pretty) and Flor / Fleur (Flower)
    Metamorph (Ditto) - it's derived from Metamorphisis
    Simularbre (Sudowoodo) - it's derived from Simuler (to Simulate / Mimic) and Arbre (Tree)
    Scarabrute (Pinsir) - it's derived from Scarabi and Brute
    Feunard (Ninetails) - it's derived from Feu (Fire) and Renard (Fox)
    Crustabri (Cloyster) - it's derived from Crustacian and Abri (to Protect From / to Shelter)
    Cadoizo (Delibird) - it's derived from Cadeau (Present) and Oiseau (Bird)
    Cochignon (Piloswine) - it's derived from Cochon (Pig) and Mignon (Cute)
    Ossatueur (Marowak) - it's derived from Os (Bone) and Tueur (Killer)
    Cornebre (Murkrow) - it's derived from Corniche (Crow) and Tenèbre (Shadow)

Among others.

Sableye is the same thing in French, so I assume it's from Sable (Sand) and Eye, since it's a desert / cave Pokemon. It's found in the desert in the Safari Zone, in any case.

Last edited:

shot571

abra kadabra alakazam was one of the first ones id figured out. hmm any ones that i know. umm... how about buneary. bunny and ears i think. and i was thinking about what the two 5th gen pokemon will be called. any ideas? i would probably call the big one actually i dunno what id name it. all the names i come up with are too similar to all the other pokemon names

Back