• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

high schooler arrested for bringing a clock "bomb" to school

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
rou-what(d).gif

Is there really anything else to say about this incident? I mean it was in Texas right? A lot of people in that state are wonderfully good at being stupid and bigoted, as well as being extremely "proud" of being wholesome and Christian... because that's the only good religion that unlike Islam has never done anything horribly outrageous or anti-humanitarian right guys? I'm surprised a teacher didn't pull a gun on the kid and fire a few shots into the sky so that Jesus had some spare ammunition for when things got dicey. That's the stereotype isn't it? (Ironic as that statement is.)

But yeah, a muslim kid brings a vaguely technical looking device into school and the teachers go bananas. I'd say I was surprised but I'm very, very sadly not. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't do worse to the kid, at least he got to go home.

"In the meantime, Ahmed's been suspended, his father is upset and the Council on American-Islamic Relations is once again eyeing claims of Islamophobia in Irving."

You know the place is brain dead when they're so obsessed with this kind of thing that they get investigated multiple times for being racist pigs.

I want to shake this kids hand, I want to show him that the World is more open to his inventions and his brilliant mind than those worthless wastes of human flesh that run his school and police force give him credit for. I'm just glad that what I can't do the internet is making up for in their diligent and well represented support of this child's case.

I mean can you think of the psychological effects implemented on this kid now? The police force, people meant to protect him, brand him a stereotype and assume he's some bomb building 14 year old 9/11 follow-up. Do they think this is going to solve a problem? This kid did nothing wrong but now the "white people" are attacking him and his creativity.

The folks responsible for this think they're preventing terrorism, all they've really done is encourage it.

"He's vowed never to take an invention to school again."

This quote alone deeply upsets me.

In the end the only real result of this is a kid becoming terrified to express himself in a place where learning and self-expression should be encouraged. This entire situation is just sick and the people responsible for putting this poor kid through Hell deserve to be punished severely.

Ha! Not that they will of course, because the idiots would start flinging feces at their own government if white people were punished for falsely accusing a brown kid.

Years
I don't see it as racism or religious discrimination. I had a similar thing happen to me due to a "he-said-she-said" type incident. Basically someone accused me of making a threat which the school staff asked around about that in turn led to increasing accusations with no proof for me having done anything of the sort.

So yeah, I had the whole separation from family and interrogation by a mixture of police and school officials. The police then came to search my house for guns and or homemade bombs.

It's discriminatory but not on the basis or skin so much as the basis of age. School staff can pretty much **** on the students because there's basically no chance for recourse due to how legal rights are determined in the US.

If you wanna push some kids around and talk down to and intimidate them to get a power trip, you can. Though in my experience I wouldn't be surprised if they did think it was a bomb and were just generally incompetent all around. I mean, hell, one staff member figured out what was going on right away in regards to my situation but it had to be investigated for roughly 8 more school days before I could be allowed back onto campus. (Thankfully this triggered my removal from that system so best of wishes to our little engineering friend in having the same pleasant experience I did in being able to get the hell outta that human farm)

It's a he-said-she-said incident that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't brown. Even if you think gross incompetence on behalf of the school staff and police is the more important factor, it doesn't lessen how racially charge the whole affair was.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
I do agree with you that this started off or was partly due to school corruption/incompetence (our education system is terrible really), and I feel that sometimes some people are too eager to look for racism/discrimination in everything, but I feel that this got to the point it did because the kid was Muslim. I can imagine the school freaking about it and calling the cops if you or I brought a homemade clock to school, and even getting interrogated, but I doubt that either of us would actually get arrested for it either.

Nah, I really doubt that. What happened to me was almost 8 years ago now. The system has only gotten worse since then.

I had a notebook for studying Japanese which I had gotten from online sources at the time. They confiscated it from me and spent close to two weeks "translating" it to search for potentially nefarious messages. They did this instead of checking the website to which I directed them and had copied my notes word for word.

Please also keep in mind that this is in the context of the US school system, a place that arrests students for minor scuffles at times just to prove a point and lord their power and authority over the young.

The problem is that you're trying to look at the situation logically, which isn't how one sided power trippers treat these incidents. They do whatever they can get away with both because it's fun and such incidents also allow for the filing of reports centered around safety and other such signs of excellent on behalf of the staff at facility Y.

It's a he-said-she-said incident that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't brown. Even if you think gross incompetence on behalf of the school staff and police is the more important factor, it doesn't lessen how racially charge the whole affair was.
Those are not arguments so much are they are baseless accusations.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Nah, I really doubt that. What happened to me was almost 8 years ago now. The system has only gotten worse since then.

I had a notebook for studying Japanese which I had gotten from online sources at the time. They confiscated it from me and spent close to two weeks "translating" it to search for potentially nefarious messages. They did this instead of checking the website to which I directed them and had copied my notes word for word.

Please also keep in mind that this is in the context of the US school system, a place that arrests students for minor scuffles at times just to prove a point and lord their power and authority over the young.

The problem is that you're trying to look at the situation logically, which isn't how one sided power trippers treat these incidents. They do whatever they can get away with both because it's fun and such incidents also allow for the filing of reports centered around safety and other such signs of excellent on behalf of the staff at facility Y.
Oh, it's not like I disagree with you on these points, I've seen and heard the kind of shit schools do to students and all the other things wrong with our education system (I've lived in the US my entire life jsyk), and I get that the people involved in these incidents don't really behave/think logically and couldn't care less, it's just that I think that there's a possibility that the school system being fucked up might not be the only reason for this particular incident. Ya know, just maybe.

Years
Those are not arguments so much are they are baseless accusations.

Baseless accusations? That's a pretty conservative approach. You can never prove anything with 100% certainty to be based on racism. However, give the alternative example of a white kid bringing in such a device to school another thought. Or an East Asian kid. Would it be reasonable to think that he would have been treated the same way? I think most reasonable people would say, no, he wouldn't have been dragged through that whole ruckus Ahmed dealt with. That's some basis for the argument that it was indeed a racially charged incident.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
Baseless accusations? That's a pretty conservative approach. You can never prove anything with 100% certainty to be based on racism. However, give the alternative example of a white kid bringing in such a device to school another thought. Or an East Asian kid. Would it be reasonable to think that he would have been treated the same way? I think most reasonable people would say, no, he wouldn't have been dragged through that whole ruckus Ahmed dealt with. That's some basis for the argument that it was indeed a racially charged incident.

Then you didn't understand the entire point of my first two posts.

Yes, when school administrators decide they want to crack down on someone for whatever reason, they go after that person hardcore. (I've had personal experience with that.) This is the same group of people that expel kids for biting poptarts into triangles because a highly active imagination could view it as a gun.

The only caveat I could add in here about race is that were it a white student who was suspended for such a thing it would have never received any attention in the local district, let alone reached national headlines.

Years
Then you didn't understand the entire point of my first two posts.

Yes, when school administrators decide they want to crack down on someone for whatever reason, they go after that person hardcore. (I've had personal experience with that.) This is the same group of people that expel kids for biting poptarts into triangles because a highly active imagination could view it as a gun.

The only caveat I could add in here about race is that were it a white student who was suspended for such a thing it would have never received any attention in the local district, let alone reached national headlines.

Now I'm not so sure about the entire point of your first two posts. The only aspect of race you've addressed is the amount of press coverage the event would receive, so you seem to deny or at least sidestep the likelihood that a white student in Ahmed's position would not have been suspended.

Do you disagree with the proposition that a white student in Ahmed's position would have been treated differently by school staff? If you don't disagree, then how do you justify holding both that proposition, and the claim that it's not racial or religious discrimination? If you believe that a white student would've been treated by staff the same way, then I'd say your perception of race relations in the US isn't very realistic.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
Now I'm not so sure about the entire point of your first two posts. The only aspect of race you've addressed is the amount of press coverage the event would receive, so you seem to deny or at least sidestep the likelihood that a white student in Ahmed's position would not have been suspended.

Do you disagree with the proposition that a white student in Ahmed's position would have been treated differently by school staff? If you don't disagree, then how do you justify holding both that proposition, and the claim that it's not racial or religious discrimination? If you believe that a white student would've been treated by staff the same way, then I'd say your perception of race relations in the US isn't very realistic.

The fact that you even need to ask me whether or not I disagree with him being treated differently simply because he's not white means you either haven't read what I posted or you failed to understand it. Seriously, go back and reread what I posted.

The ENTIRE point of what I've been saying up until now is that not only "might" a white student in this situation have gotten expelled/arrested, it's a certainty they would have.

I would know, I've been through the processes before and I'm of European ethnic descent.

Or would you prefer I quote more examples of whities getting put through the works like this? They're none too few, I assure you.

You should also know that saying my view of race relations isn't realistic in the face of counter examples and contrary evidence hinders any credibility you may have had with people who actually like using rationality, reason, and empiricism.

Also the fact that I live in the US and see how people of different races interact on a day to day basis would more than likely lend to me a better understanding of race relations are actually like in this country and its many sub-culture(s.)

Years
The fact that you even need to ask me whether or not I disagree with him being treated differently simply because he's not white means you either haven't read what I posted or you failed to understand it. Seriously, go back and reread what I posted.

The ENTIRE point of what I've been saying up until now is that not only "might" a white student in this situation have gotten expelled/arrested, it's a certainty they would have.

I would know, I've been through the processes before and I'm of European ethnic descent.

Or would you prefer I quote more examples of whities getting put through the works like this? They're none too few, I assure you.

You should also know that saying my view of race relations isn't realistic in the face of counter examples and contrary evidence hinders any credibility you may have had with people who actually like using rationality, reason, and empiricism.

Also the fact that I live in the US and see how people of different races interact on a day to day basis would more than likely lend to me a better understanding of race relations are actually like in this country and its many sub-culture(s.)

It's not only in my eyes that your belief that a white kid would've been treated the same way as Ahmed is unrealistic. If you want to discuss reason, then we must discuss what most reasonable people would believe. Most people on this thread disagree with your belief, and if most people here are reasonable (let's say they are), then it appears that it's more reasonable to believe that no, a white kid wouldn't have been treated the same way.

You speak of empiricism, but one person's experience isn't sufficient evidence. And neither are examples, if they aren't representative. It's unfortunate that anybody would have to go through what you and Ahmed had to deal with, but it's quite unfair to say that just because some both white and non-white people have had to deal with this, that race has nothing to do with it. The existence of white and non-white examples isn't strong evidence, and it's missing the point. It seems that as long as you can find some examples, the existence of those examples disproves an overarching trend. Put a hundred white kids and a hundred muslim kids through the same scenario and what would happen? You might stick to your guns, but I suspect most people would agree that more of the white kids would get slaps on the wrist. You might say that I'm just making a hypothetical, but I'd say that your examples are biased - nobody talks about the kids who bring homemade clocks to school that don't get a show made out of them right?

The fact of the matter is that in a post-9/11 America, terrorism is inextricably tied within the public perception of Islam. I think we would probably both agree with that. Now, although I can't back up my argument with individual examples (which isn't representative of anything if the totality of the examples aren't representative of the generalization you're trying to make), I do think it's a hard sell to say that the stereotypes and perceptions of Islam have nothing to do with this incident.

Personally, I don't live in the US, so I'll let somebody else step in if they have a dissenting opinion.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
It's not only in my eyes that your belief that a white kid would've been treated the same way as Ahmed is unrealistic. If you want to discuss reason, then we must discuss what most reasonable people would believe.
Sorry, but you're 100% incorrect there. Just because the majority within a certain demographic "believe" something does not make it so.

What matters is whether or not the reason, evidence, and methodology are correct and capable of being reproduced. Much like math, 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of any sentient input. As such the truth of these matters remains based in reason and evidence despite what any majority of people might believe.

Do you know the extent to which most people in opposition to my proposals have done research? How much research have you yourself done on this topic as well?

I'm not going to call people who draw conclusions about controversial incidents without any hesitation reasonable. To operate in a reasonable manner (especially about incidents so charged as this one) we need to reserve judgment until acquiring more facts surrounding the incident. Making a hasty call to judgment does not to me preclude a respect for reason but instead a thirst for populism.

You speak of empiricism, but one person's experience isn't sufficient evidence. And neither are examples, if they aren't representative. It's unfortunate that anybody would have to go through what you and Ahmed had to deal with, but it's quite unfair to say that just because some both white and non-white people have had to deal with this, that race has nothing to do with it. The existence of white and non-white examples isn't strong evidence, and it's missing the point. It seems that as long as you can find some examples, the existence of those examples disproves an overarching trend. Put a hundred white kids and a hundred muslim kids through the same scenario and what would happen? You might stick to your guns, but I suspect most people would agree that more of the white kids would get slaps on the wrist. You might say that I'm just making a hypothetical, but I'd say that your examples are biased - nobody talks about the kids who bring homemade clocks to school that don't get a show made out of them right?
So you have a better criteria for what would be representative then?

I mean, look, here's the deal. You're saying it's unfair (not an argument btw) that because I'm willing to show examples of white people being punished for far more benign behavior that it disproves race as a factor. You say that this isn't an empirical approach when you are instead doing the exact opposite of what you claim would be fair.

So lemme break it down for you.

Just because ONE student who happens to be Muslim brings in a device that school officials and police would have categorized as looking suspicious regardless of the owners race gets detained within the full rights of power delegated to the school system does not mean that there is a pandemic of Islamophobia in the US.

So to draw the conclusion that one incident justifies the conclusion that he was treated differently merely because of his background in the face of evidence that states the opposite in vastly overwhelming numbers which is applied to similar settings, with similar punishments AND less intensity behind them runs counter to the point you're trying to make. It means the overarching trend operates opposite to what you claim. So coming up with a hypothetical situation to prove your conclusions correct when the evidence already exists to prove the opposite means you're either horribly misunderstanding the situation (It's wildly anti-empirical) or you're dishonest. I'm convinced it's the former.

The fact of the matter is that in a post-9/11 America, terrorism is inextricably tied within the public perception of Islam. I think we would probably both agree with that. Now, although I can't back up my argument with individual examples (which isn't representative of anything if the totality of the examples aren't representative of the generalization you're trying to make), I do think it's a hard sell to say that the stereotypes and perceptions of Islam have nothing to do with this incident.

Personally, I don't live in the US, so I'll let somebody else step in if they have a dissenting opinion.
Absolutely, there is a perception that those who are in the Islam is tied to heightened incidents of terrorism.

Is it unjustified? Not exactly, at least for the time being. (Groups with high social conflict facing what they perceive to be asymmetric powers often resort to covert actions such as terrorism or sabotage. I.E. Ireland vs the UK, Sri Lanka vs India, and various nations populated predominantly by Muslims suffering effects from US Foreign Policy)
But the tragic point of focus about this reality is that the overwhelming majority of people killed by terrorism rooted in Islam are... other Muslims.

I will say this as far as generalizations go. There's gonna be discrimination against pretty much everyone for almost any reason you can imagine. Yes, some Muslims in the US (And elsewhere) will face some form of upset over their beliefs, but those cases are the outliers. Because how many people do they encounter who bear no negativity towards them for these traits vs the ones who might act cruelly towards them? I think the answer is pretty obvious given how well adjusted and functioning most Muslims manage to be in society.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Sorry, but you're 100% incorrect there. Just because the majority within a certain demographic "believe" something does not make it so.

Here's a good, detailed source explaining why it's not just a belief.

Murmansk said:
Do you know the extent to which most people in opposition to my proposals have done research? How much research have you yourself done on this topic as well?

Actual research can be quick and easy sometimes.

Since it's established that they never actually thought he had a real bomb (school wasn't evacuated, the clock was handled by other people etc), I think it's kinda pointless going back and forth about whether or not it's a race issue. Racism is systemic, so we need to look at how it affects our society as a whole. One or two white people getting punished for doing something doesn't mean racism is over.

Years

What matters is whether or not the reason, evidence, and methodology are correct and capable of being reproduced. Much like math, 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of any sentient input. As such the truth of these matters remains based in reason and evidence despite what any majority of people might believe.

I'm not going to call people who draw conclusions about controversial incidents without any hesitation reasonable. To operate in a reasonable manner (especially about incidents so charged as this one) we need to reserve judgment until acquiring more facts surrounding the incident. Making a hasty call to judgment does not to me preclude a respect for reason but instead a thirst for populism.

That the majority of a demographic believe something does not necessarily make it true, I agree. However, let's not jump to accusations of populism. People's beliefs of Islamophobia and racism are not just dictated to them by authority figures or the media. People are able to experience the culture and the community and the media of the United States, depending on where they live, and are able to come to their own conclusions. What a majority of people believe doesn't have to be justified, but in this case I don't see how you could say a majority opinion isn't justified since, generally speaking, we're endowed with the same intellectual tools as you and I are and I don't think there's sufficient reason to believe that people accept the existence of Islamophobia and its impact on Ahmed's incident as a matter of creed and without reason.

By the same token, it would be inconsistent for me to call somebody who points to mere examples as disproving the extent of Islamophobia in the United States as being reasonable. To operate in a reasonable manner, we have to put our examples and evidence into context. I say again, the mere existence of white people who have had to go through the same ordeal as Ahmed does not minimize the extent of Islamophobia in the US nor does it preclude the possibility that Islamophobia affected how Ahmed was treated. This would be similar to saying that in a case where a black man is shot by the police, race had nothing to do with it, because there are many examples of white men who are shot by police. That is to say, your evidence does not justify your conclusion.

So you have a better criteria for what would be representative then?

Of course. The example in the last post, taking a representative sample of how the same incident affects both white and Muslim kids would be a start, as well as taking into account that even that kind of evidence does not address all of the incidents that aren't reported. What if equal numbers of white and Muslim kids get detained, but fewer Muslim kids are bringing clocks to school in the first place? My point is that evidence without context is poor evidence, and the absence of other evidence does not make poor evidence better.

I mean, look, here's the deal. You're saying it's unfair (not an argument btw) that because I'm willing to show examples of white people being punished for far more benign behavior that it disproves race as a factor. You say that this isn't an empirical approach when you are instead doing the exact opposite of what you claim would be fair.

Saying that your argument is unfair is definitely an argument. That's my conclusion, and I give reasons to support that. So it's an argument. Examples of white people being punished for far more benign behaviour does not disprove race as a factor. Hell, by the same token I might as well say race is not a factor in the poverty of blacks, since there are white people living in worse conditions of poverty than most poor blacks. Neither is genetics a factor in the height of human beings, since there examples of tall parents with short children, even shorter than the children of some short parents in fact, which disproves that as well. Neither will eating a box of cookies a week contribute to weight gain, since here's Jenny who does that but, hey, she hasn't gained a pound in ten years. I hope that I have demonstrated the fact that counterexamples to a proposition exist does not disprove that proposition - and to claim that they would disprove the proposition would therefore be poor logic and unfair. Those counterexamples must be put in context in the big picture in order to have meaning.

So lemme break it down for you.

Just because ONE student who happens to be Muslim brings in a device that school officials and police would have categorized as looking suspicious regardless of the owners race gets detained within the full rights of power delegated to the school system does not mean that there is a pandemic of Islamophobia in the US.

Nobody in this thread is talking about a pandemic of Islamophobia in the US. That's a highly sensationalist way of putting it. And besides, your original argument was:

... or that a white student in Ahmed's position certainly would have been treated the same way. If any white student would be treated the same way as Ahmed in his same position, then race would not be a factor, since everybody is being treated the same. So that's what you've been arguing, and let's not move the goalposts (unless you wish to, but be explicit about it).

So to draw the conclusion that one incident justifies the conclusion that he was treated differently merely because of his background in the face of evidence that states the opposite in vastly overwhelming numbers which is applied to similar settings, with similar punishments AND less intensity behind them runs counter to the point you're trying to make. It means the overarching trend operates opposite to what you claim. So coming up with a hypothetical situation to prove your conclusions correct when the evidence already exists to prove the opposite means you're either horribly misunderstanding the situation (It's wildly anti-empirical) or you're dishonest. I'm convinced it's the former.

The conclusion is not drawn on the basis that this one incident happened. It's drawn because of how Islam, and perceptions of Islam are depicted in the media. It's drawn because some people in the United States are genuinely afraid of Sharia law overturning the American legal system. It's drawn because anti-Islamic hate crimes are up since 2001, even though the number of annual hate crimes as a whole have come down since 2001. It's in this context that I conclude that if it were a white kid instead of Ahmed, everybody would have given less of a damn.

You give your counterexamples, which apparently exist in vastly overwhelming numbers, without addressing the social context in which we live at all. The hypothetical isn't supposed to prove something 100%. Instead, it's a thought experiment that provides to support to what I'm trying to say. Nobody can prove 100% whether or whether not race had something to do with it, because nobody can enter the minds of the people involved in the incident as it was happening. Maybe the school staff suffered a collective fit of momentary insanity but nobody would ever know.

However, I believe that it is beyond a reasonable doubt that Islamophobia had something to do with this incident. The association between Islam and terrorism is real. They didn't treat the incident as a bomb threat, yet they suspended Ahmed even after the incident was over. You talk as if your examples preclude the impact Islamophobia had on this incident, but that's simply not a logical connection, as I've already described above.

Absolutely, there is a perception that those who are in the Islam is tied to heightened incidents of terrorism.

Is it unjustified? Not exactly, at least for the time being. (Groups with high social conflict facing what they perceive to be asymmetric powers often resort to covert actions such as terrorism or sabotage. I.E. Ireland vs the UK, Sri Lanka vs India, and various nations populated predominantly by Muslims suffering effects from US Foreign Policy)
But the tragic point of focus about this reality is that the overwhelming majority of people killed by terrorism rooted in Islam are... other Muslims.

I will say this as far as generalizations go. There's gonna be discrimination against pretty much everyone for almost any reason you can imagine. Yes, some Muslims in the US (And elsewhere) will face some form of upset over their beliefs, but those cases are the outliers. Because how many people do they encounter who bear no negativity towards them for these traits vs the ones who might act cruelly towards them? I think the answer is pretty obvious given how well adjusted and functioning most Muslims manage to be in society.

That political Islam uses terrorism does not mean Mohammed living in suburban Anyville subscribes to terrorist thought and advocates for terrorist action. The religion of Islam is tied to terrorism in its political expression, but that doesn't justify treating somebody who most likely lives outside of that kind of context as if they were a bomb threat.

In conclusion, like Keiran said, a couple of white people being punished for doing something does not disprove the overarching trend of Islamophobia nor does it disprove the impact of Islamophobia on this one event. Given everything that we know about the public perception of Islam and Muslims, I think it is much more reasonable to believe that the incident was racially charged. Any conclusion we draw based on the incident cannot ignore these salient factors.

Years
It's not just America anyway, this ridiculous anti-Islamic sentiment is growing larger and larger throughout the world as well. In particular I'm going to mention France (do we not remember the whole incident with that media outlet) and I'm going to mention my own country.

I can't say much more about France, but from what I understand there was a lot of negativity towards Islam there to begin with and that terror act did not help the situation, even though the media outlet in question was provoking extremist action to begin with.

As for Australia, actual acts of terror are very rare here (thank God). In my entire lifetime I can only really remember one real incident in which an extremist held a bunch of hostages at a coffee shop. Even though the media was urging people not to base their views on Islam off of one lunatic and even Islamic religious leaders in our country were coming forward and very publicly decrying his actions, people who I would otherwise believe to be perfectly reasonable were still spouting bullshit about the dangers of Islam. That sort of thing is still occurring today because of the media and the governments actions and statements.

Anyone who says that there's no Islamophobia is simply not acknowledging a vastly growing, near global issue. We shouldn't be judging Islamic people and fearing them because of the actions of a minority. Nobody gets paranoid about white people every time a white nut job shoots up a school, and quite frankly that happens a lot more - in the US in particular - than acts of terror by Islamic extremists.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
"Hey Ahmed can you tell me the time?"
"Sure thing bro, let me just take my clock out"
Spoiler:

But no, I'm sure it's just Islamophobia, it couldn't be the fact that most people will get thrown off a little when a clock looks like an IED instead of an actual fucking clock. There's also the fact that Ahmed said in an interview himself: "...I just used a simple cable [to close the box] so it won't look that much suspicious".

I can't say much more about France, but from what I understand there was a lot of negativity towards Islam there to begin with and that terror act did not help the situation, even though the media outlet in question was provoking extremist action to begin with.

"Provoking"? Oh god lol please tell me you're talking about the Charlie Hebdo shooting, I would absolutely love to see how you would try to justify the slaughter of cartoonists that satirized religious extremists of all things.

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

But no, I'm sure it's just Islamophobia, it couldn't be the fact that most people will get thrown off a little when a clock looks like an IED instead of an actual fucking clock. There's also the fact that Ahmed said in an interview himself: "...I just used a simple cable [to close the box] so it won't look that much suspicious".

That would be all well and good if it wasn't already established that everyone new it was a clock and that nobody felt there was any real threat, otherwise the school would have been evacuated immediately.

"Provoking"? Oh god lol please tell me you're talking about the Charlie Hebdo shooting, I would absolutely love to see how you would try to justify the slaughter of cartoonists that satirized religious extremists of all things.

I never said what happened was justified, that sort of action is never justified. However it is generally not a good idea to spread certain media unless you want to offend people. What the terrorists did was not something I, or anyone, should condone but let us not forget that the anti-Islamic actions were the reason they attacked in the first place.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
That would be all well and good if it wasn't already established that everyone new it was a clock and that nobody felt there was any real threat, otherwise the school would have been evacuated immediately.

But not everyone knew it was a clock. He was brought in during sixth period because bringing in an item that looks like a bomb (yes, a beeping pencil case does look like an IED) and constantly showing it is reason enough for questioning. The people that knew him felt there wasn't any threat, but any random person that sees it will be unnerved by it for a good reason.

He was justifiably brought in for questioning, and he justifiably got off with no charges. You may call it being paranoid and anti-Islamic, but to a state where 2 people were killed at a "Draw Mohammed" contest, it's understandably cautious.

I never said what happened was justified, that sort of action is never justified. However it is generally not a good idea to spread certain media unless you want to offend people. What the terrorists did was not something I, or anyone, should condone but let us not forget that the anti-Islamic actions were the reason they attacked in the first place.

Again, like I said, Charlie Hebdo was a satirical magazine, not anti-Islamic, and they criticized extremism. I'd defend Charlie Hebdo even if they were doing it just to be offensive, because anyone that wants to live in a first world country should understand that it's only okay to use extreme violence when your life or the lives of others are at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
Oh my gosh this makes me so sad. =/
The way they're treating him for simply trying to impress them with his talent, unbelievable. When I was in school I would try to impress my teachers with my own creations (although I was offering baked goods, not something that took nearly the same talent as this). I doubt it actually looked like a bomb, and how could someone be stupid enough to bring a bomb to school and deliberately show it to people anyway? I think this kid is probably scarred and desensitized, unless he has personally experienced Islamophobia before (I don't know).
you can be surprised at how stupid teens can be & its not like it fades away automatically when they turn 18.
They never thought he had a bomb. They never evacuated the school, they kept the clock in the office while they waited for the police, then they put the clock in the police car and took pictures of it. None of that is how you actually deal with a bomb threat. You evacuate the building and call a bomb disposal squad.

What actually happened is that they saw a brown, Muslim kid flying too close to the sun and decided to humiliate him. How can we perpetuate our for-profit prison system if we allow non-white kids to take interest in anything but crime?

🐸☕️
well, there's always the possibility that they where stupid enough to handle a bomb like that. they don't seem to be smart enough for educating anyone regardless.

I feel so sad that an intelligent child has to be stifled and suffocated by a sea of ignorance.
It's sad and disgusting. Islamophobia, prejudice, everything ugly about the post-9/11 world rolled up into one nasty event. I would love for there to be some inquiries into how these events are handled, because this is flat out unacceptable.
well, everyone who was at fault has been publicly humiliated. we all have the right to stand on the side walks outside the school til one of them comes out, then point & laugh.

Who cares really? A little silly story came to the media outlet.

I think the joke I saw at Slashdot still stands. Invited to the white house, now he gets scholarships and stuff.. he ended up better than worse. The whole thing was planned.
i doubt it was initially planned like that, he was more then likely scared, confused & irritated when they started accusing his clock for being a bomb. i wouldn't be surprised though if as things started to look his way he started to milk it for more then what it's worth. can't really blame anyone for doing that either.

it's not "a little silly story" -- it's yet another example of the blatant racism that runs rampant throughout the Southern US. I don't think this is going to actually cause anything to change, but it's yet another example of this huge problem that so many people ignore being thrust into the spotlight. adding onto that, this is absolutely a traumatizing experience that I'm sure he'd rather not have had, so him "ending up better than worse" is a moot point, and I'm sure he wouldn't think so, himself.
its not just in the south you know, its just that a lot of people over here the east are better at hiding it.there's a difference between shame & just keeping ones mouth shut til the one with a difference skin color leaves the room to avoid unnecessary conflict. though quite a few tend to forget the walls around them let sound out & its not just limited to one race.
that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't brown.
the correct phasing is "that wouldn't have happened if they weren't idiots". or that wouldn't have happened if they weren't racist"
word it to blame it on the people responsible, not what color someones skin is. this is the type of wording that leads to racism against white people & has led many to blame white people for everything. responding to racist with racism, no matter how unintentional, only adds fuel to the fire.

the most logical solution to power trippers is to find & reveal a secret that will knock down their egos, black mail them or manipulate them into showing just how much of an ass they are upfront of a crowd of parents.
humiliation is the best cure for them, constant defeat dwindles away at their confidence, fear will guide their actions.
if done right, you can convince him/her that he/she's an uneducated worm in need of therapy, a readjustment of priorities & that he should have never been allowed to graduate middle.
well, there's always the chance you'll completely break their minds like i did to a few of my former teachers.
i'm evil, but at least i'm not egotistical...

Spoiler:

But no, I'm sure it's just Islamophobia, it couldn't be the fact that most people will get thrown off a little when a clock looks like an IED instead of an actual psyducking clock. There's also the fact that Ahmed said in an interview himself: "...I just used a simple cable [to close the box] so it won't look that much suspicious".

honestly, if he had spent time crafting it out would look pretty awesome and not even close to being bomb-like.
well unless you count a suitcase that shows you the time when you open it to be suspicious. if it wasn't counting down then there's no reason to get worked up about it just because Hollywood(which isn't exactly know for its accuracy)
but its just simply not done in enough detail to be a bomb. not even the Hollywood ones look that shelled out.
and of course it was put in a box to be inconspicuous, he actually used his head quite well for that part. every school has a few trouble making snitches & incompetent bullies. he just didn't expect the teachers to be the incompetent bullies & shouldn't have had to.
they more then likely didn't even bother to consult the only teacher in the school to actually understand tech.
no matter how you look at it, the situation was handled by idiots who didn't use their heads.
but go ahead an get into the paranoid mindset with them & til some other innocent else gets swallowed by the paranoia & foolishness of others.
tumblr_ntvjyizXFZ1sk47ceo7_500.gif

Albert Einstein said:
The difference between genius & stupidity is that genius has limits

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
...honestly, if he had spent time crafting it out would look pretty awesome and not even close to being bomb-like.
well unless you count a suitcase that shows you the time when you open it to be suspicious.
I don't know where you live, so forgive me if there's a cultural barrier, but in the USA suitcases are used to carry files and documents, not hold wires and circuit boards. Furthermore, the innacuracy of Hollywood props is irrelevant; most people aren't bomb experts, and publicly displaying such an object will worry strangers to say the least.

and of course it was put in a box to be inconspicuous
Right, because bombs have never been disguised as common objects.

no matter how you look at it, the situation was handled by idiots who didn't use their heads.
No, the situation was handled by adults that realized he would most likely not do anything to endanger the lives of others but still wanted to find out for themselves. Why should the police not have detained and questioned him?

but go ahead an get into the paranoid mindset with them & til some other innocent else gets swallowed by the paranoia & foolishness of others.
Will do. Continue to blindly believe each and every thing you see as long as it supports your preconceived notions about the world.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
I don't know where you live, so forgive me if there's a cultural barrier, but in the USA suitcases are used to carry files and documents, not hold wires and circuit boards. Furthermore, the innacuracy of Hollywood props is irrelevant; most people aren't bomb experts, and publicly displaying such an object will worry strangers to say the least.

Right, because bombs have never been disguised as common objects.
yeah, & its not like clocks being put into suit cases haven't happened before either.
oh wait...

yes, look at it. the Imax World Map Suitcase Clock 68171 its something close to what a completed version of that suit case clock would look like, only more retro.
you obviously have not realized just how random gimmicky stuff there is in this country
12011405_10153736905910362_6502909793501658216_n.jpg

ooooh, look at this pretty "bomb"
Stachel-9410.jpg

odd suspicious crap placed in suitcases that no one bats an eye.
though honestly, its surprising that there's even one school left without a metal detector & check point at the front door...

No, the situation was handled by adults that realized he would most likely not do anything to endanger the lives of others but still wanted to find out for themselves. Why should the police not have detained and questioned him?
why should the police have even been called? they have a teacher who specializes in this stuff, even the fools who ran all the various schools i've went to where not foolish enough to jump the gun & scar a kid for life like then when presented with something they did not understand. they would get the teacher most knowledgeable about the topic before calling the cops to drag the kid off. its like calling an ambulance and a hazmat team screaming plague cause one kid has allergies tripped & sprained his/her ankle, rather then sending the kid to the nurse's office.
they handled it with irrational illogical fear and assumptions. whats next? a kid getting punished for a gun shaped pop-tart?
fear the might of the pop tart gun!
o-POP-TART-GUN-facebook.jpg

Will do. Continue to blindly believe each and every thing you see as long as it supports your preconceived notions about the world.
why would i even do that when your doing a great job of doing it for me?

Years
I'm loving that this is such a heated topic and that everyone is getting so into it. Just remember not to let the heat get the best of you and to keep things civil even if you have alternate view points.

Back