• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2010
    Just curious as to see if there are any people around these parts who have watched/are watching/are planning to watch this.

It recently just finished coming out in America. The manga is currently being published by Yen Press and the third volume will be coming out next month. It's a very interesting series that is probably best classified as horror or psychological thriller. Think Paranoia Agent. Sorta. I just figured there would be some fans of this cause the popularity of it seems to be rising slowly. I even saw a few cosplayers at MTAC. That was cool.

I just love the way the whole thing plays out. There are 26 episodes in the first season and 24 in the second... so, fifty total. Also, an OVA is currently coming out in Japan. The first episode just seemed to be a silly side thing from what I could tell, though.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Higurashi is amazing.

I've been a fan ever since the anime came out in Japan in 2006, and it's still one of my all time favourites. I've read some of the sound novels as well and all the official and spinoff mangas. There's so much in Higurashi, really.

Also, the OVA is already in the second episode.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    It's amazing how I can actually watch the scary scenes. I even get absorbed to it!

Higurashi is an amazing anime. It is one of the (somewhat) scary animes that I can watch without screaming in fear and running from the screen. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2010
    So glad there are more fans around. :3 I actually only watched it pretty recently... about the start of last semester. I got hooked quickly.

I'd try to go to bed at midnight, you know, trying to be a good college boy... then stay up till 4 AM watching it. :< Oh well. I enjoyed myself.

ALSO JUST GOT ME A RENA FIGURE. MISSION COMPLETE.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I love this series. 8) The original was much better than Kai in my opinion, but both were still good. I'm enjoying the OVA so far, too.

I just love the dynamics of the series. The way everything was presented in Higurashi was so interesting. You're confused as hell for the first bit and by the end of the series, everything starts falling into place. I really loved how it was handled.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Agreed with the favourable first season over Kai. Each of the arcs in the first season had me hiding under the blankets from Onikakushi-hen to Watanagashi-hen where some of the scenes just made me cringe. I was completely oblivious throughout it and tried not to formulate theories or answers to them, seeing as how Kai did that, which made it more enjoyable in my opinion.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Higurashi is definitely one of my favorites as far as anime goes. Original over Kai for purposes of horror, Kai over original for purposes of Rika being the main and Hanyuu

still waiting for the dang Umineko anime to come out though XD

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I recently finished both series (I marathoned all 50 episodes over the course of 4 days), and I don't know about favorites. Both seasons had their ups and downs, but I think I liked Kai better overall since it had way more direction in terms of plot than the original season did, which just seemed to rely on the horror factor to get by.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    This series is sick, and disturbing..

Oh, how I love it so. <3

I have yet to watch the newest season, though. D: I need to catch up.

this_is_ark

who what where
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2009
    season 1 is pretty good, though i don't really like the HAPPY LALA SCHOOL FUN TIME episodes

season 2 was disappointing after around ep 13 :( it kinda bored me and then got dumb

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I've read a bit of the manga from Yen+ magazine, it was my favorite. Then they replaced new chapters of Higurashi with some Hero Tales manga or summat, I don't buy Yen+ anymore. >:(

I heard the dub of this is pretty good, is this true?

this_is_ark

who what where
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2009
    no the dub's terrible, unless there's two dubs

it's awful, keichii is voiced by the same person who does SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

and rika :( she sounds really awkward

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2010
    I heard the dub of this is pretty good, is this true?

FALSE.

Keiichi sounds like he should be the host of a show on Nick Jr. ... :<

Honestly everyone sounds really awkward and just... not very good at all, and I'm usually one to support English dubs. It makes me cringe when people watch stuff like Death Note, FLCL, FMA (not the BEST dub, I know... but...), and so on in Japanese...

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    It's not that the dub's bad, it's just that it can't really compare to the original. Well, the voices anyways. Everyone honestly sounds just fine, though Rika could sound more innocent and nipah~ than they did, not that Americans VAs can do that in the first place. Well, and that horrible translation at the end that made Rika look like the villain behind all this. Though it adds to the suspense since Geneon doesn't actually exist anymore XD

Back