• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hilbert & Hilda Discussion

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • So, our heros for BW are Hilbert and Hilda.

Hilbert & Hilda Discussion

Anyone have any opinions on their design? Their names?

I'd not have chosen Hilbert or Hilda; such awful names, regardless their apparent meaning (Battle Maiden and something else, forgot). There's no charisma, no charm.

I'd have preferred Jett & Rima, or Jett & Candice rather than Hilbert and Hilda. They mean Black and White respectively, similar to Cheren and Bianca whose names also apparently mean Black and White.

Here's a nice list I recently conjured:

Spoiler:

As for design, I would've preferred a blonde heroine this time 'round. I like the images of the characters themselves, but the male sprite in-game is a bit awkward based on videos I saw. I play as a female (being female myself), and I like the design of her in-game. Smooth and nice to see. The male's hair is just too puffy >:|

Feel free to discuss, as I can't find another active topic on this.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i think the design is awesome but what is up with there names... ugh i didnt even know that was there name until i read this. but they could have been more creative and chosen more unique names. hilbert sounds like a hill billy name to me....is japan making fun of us?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Blanchard and Melanie would have been amazing names for them. But anyway, I think they're my favorite protagonists tbh. They're both cute. :) But the names Hilbert and Hilda...omg i cant even...

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • I hate the dude's name. If I were him I would never visit my mom on the game for a dreadful name such as Hilbert. (I'm sorry if that's actually someone's name and they read this.)

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
  • I do agree that this gen translation names is not the best, but being a fool as I am, I did call my Character Hilbert :P as I call everyone in the game from there names given such as

Ash in Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen
    Jimmy in HG/SS (Didn't know his name back in the day before Pokemon Chronicles)
    May in R/S/E
    Dawn in D/P/P

It will be cool to see a cameo from either one of them in the next film such as Brendan/Jimmy and the Male from D/D/P (Can't remember his name at this moment of time)

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • I don't really like the names. Apparently we got Germanic-based names for some reason and the Germans got English/Italian-based names. In German their names are Warren and Lotta which I personally like much better.

Last edited:

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    just let it be known that I HATE THE NAMES. >:( My name on my file is Claire XDD

Other than the names, I really like them. Two of the best protagonists.

Years
  • I thought they were called Blair and Whitlea.

Or well, names I hate, designs I do not.

But Yusshin, you gotta remember that THIS IS JAPAN. Even single hero/heroine has had dark hair, Brendan even had it, he was wearing a hat...I think. But yeah, he's dark haired as well.

Anyway, I like both of their designs, overall they're cool. Gamefreak just keeps getting better in my opinion.

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
  • They're my favourite designs so far, apart from ole' Hilb's in game sprite, he definitely has a muffin top when he runs.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • What I don't get is Japan in every other game, they abuse blondes XD Naruto, Link, Zelda, Peach, and countless other things... But not in Pokemon.

Makes meh a sad bunneh

Lancelot-sama!

i call it bipolar game fandom.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2018
    At first, I died a little inside when I heard the names. After awhile of playing & stuff I got used to Hilda & then I'm somewhat getting over the name Hilbert. It's not exactly thaaat bad, although I did use his japanese for my file.

As for designs, I love them. The female's hair is fine. I mean they are based on more older protagonists than the usual 10-year olds. I can imagine a girl having hair that poofy/big wearing the kind of clothing the protagonists have.

Overall, I love them. I prefer the male a bit more, despite my own gender.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I prefer Hilda's design over Hilbert's, but overall I like them soooo much better than Lucas and Dawn. I just don't really like Hilbert's haircut and the fact that his jacket is unzipped at the bottom kinda bothers me lolllll :/ But their names, I can't... I just can't. I'm still sticking to my theory that Game Freak was on drugs when they were discussing the English names for the Unova protagonists.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2012
    I actually really don't like the female's design. Seems to... scantily clad... for lack of better words.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Designs are good; English names are bad ._.
    I thought they were going to be called Blair and Whitlea too; I would have preferred those names rather than Hilbert and Hilda >_>

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I love both of their designs, pretty cool. But not their names. What kind of name is Hilbert and Hilda for a protagonist. I like Jett and Candice as well.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • I also hate the names given to the protagonists. To be honest, they aren't really fitting to the characters and they don't really sound like they should be named Hilbert and Hilda. Hilbert reminds me of something down in the deep rural south (and Hilbert as a character looks more urban-styled in culture) whereas Hilda sounds like a name that you give to people from Nordic and/or Germanic countries (whereas Hilda as a character seem more fit for a rural-sounding name). But, this is just my opinion.

I think that "Gavin" and "Melanie" are nicer, more fitting names rather than Hilbert and Hilda. Maybe because their Japanese names come from their word for transparent or clear, their names would be better if their names were also derived from words that meant clear or something close to it. Like Vitro(Esperanto for Glass) and Clara(Clear).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I myself liked the design of the heros but I would of liked the girl better without the hat because it seem kinda out of place.
    But the names are pretty bad and I'm pretty sure the english programers picked the names.

Back