• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hip-hop appreciation thread

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
Years
Kanye is not even close to the best of this generation. Cee-lo, Eminem (Even despite the fact that he's been on the decline recently), B.o.B., Jay-Z, Drake, Andre 3000... All of these people are better than Kanye freaking West.

But yeah, a lot of Hip-hop is pretty good, and it's nice to see that acknowledged.

Years
I've just been introduced to Tinie Tempah, when I heard his song "Written in the stars". He has a ton of talent, and I can't believe I've been oblivious to him for this long. Some other rappers that I like, and aren't as well known as most of the rappers mentioned in my previous post would be Novi Novak, Carlprit, and Tijon.

Are you American?

If so, good to know Tinie is doing good over there.

I might be biased, being British, but some of our rappers should get some more recognition across the pond.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
Years
I just listened to snoop doggs new album. he does a song with the gorillaz, it's about the only good song on the album. he still has rhymes but he's not what he used to be

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
LASERS isn't a good album by any means, it's average at best. The distaste from fans is a mixture of a long wait time culminating in a lackluster album. It's all around just a dissapointment.

Wiz Khalifa is ass imo, Curren$y is WAY better and even Mac Miller is a little better.

Snoop Dogg has simply become a parody of himself, if that makes any sense.

Kanye's new album is pretty good, but was heavily overrated by critics. College Dropout is still better and changed hip-hop as we know it.

OFWGKTA is amazing, and I'm a HUGE fan and have been for around a year and a half but I'm skeptical about their sustainability now that they're closer to the forefront of mainstream hip-hop. Frank Ocean is the most talented member, Earl is the best rapper of the group and Tyler is the charismatic creative genius.

I could never get into Wale, he's a boring average rapper. Generic rapper #142343211. Brings nothing new to the table other than repping the DMV. Mixtape about Nothing was dopeness though, I'll give him that.

WriteThemWrong

Years
Has anyone heard of a group called Odd Future or Tyler the Creator? They're form LA and they just did Coachella and SXSW. One of my friends who went to Coachella told me about them. Funny thing is Kanye was at Coachella and my friend didn't even mention him :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2012
Kanye West couldn't write a decent lyric if he was a fly on the wall during a tea party with all the titans of history.

Dylan invented rap on a major scale, and he's still the master of it, if only for one song.

Hip-hop? Word doesn't mean anything to me, but 'The Message' is about as true as whatever most people think hip-hop is, will ever get.

WriteThemWrong

Years
You guys should check out the Beastie Boys' new album, Hot Sauce Committee Part 2. There's a song featuring Nas and the entire album is a return to what made the Beastie Boys' a hit.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
LASERS isn't a good album by any means, it's average at best. The distaste from fans is a mixture of a long wait time culminating in a lackluster album. It's all around just a dissapointment.

Wiz Khalifa is ass imo, Curren$y is WAY better and even Mac Miller is a little better.

Kanye's new album is pretty good, but was heavily overrated by critics. College Dropout is still better and changed hip-hop as we know it.

OFWGKTA is amazing, and I'm a HUGE fan and have been for around a year and a half but I'm skeptical about their sustainability now that they're closer to the forefront of mainstream hip-hop. Frank Ocean is the most talented member, Earl is the best rapper of the group and Tyler is the charismatic creative genius.

I could never get into Wale, he's a boring average rapper. Generic rapper #142343211. Brings nothing new to the table other than repping the DMV. Mixtape about Nothing was dopeness though, I'll give him that.
Basically agree with everything in this post. Especially seconding the OFWGKTA and Curren$y part.

I've been checking some old school hip-hop lately, so I'm not as up to date as I should be. I do recommend Big K.R.I.T.'s Return of 4Eva though; nothing ground-breaking, but a really solid album. Hopefully he continues to improve.

@WriteThemWrong: I'll definitely check that out, thanks.

@UltimateSacrifice: hahahaha

loldawg

Golf Wang swag
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2011

nice came into this thread reading everyones posts, and just laughing at how much i disagree with them, and then I read your and it's like you're me. totally agree with you

as for my own opinion. My favorites, Andre 3000, Big Boi, Notorious B.I.G probably my favorite rappers. Kanye, Jay Dee, Q-Tip my favorite producers.

also Lil B is the funniest mother****er ever

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I see too many people bashing hip-hop all over the place so it's time we had a thread for people that like it. General discussion, talk about your favourites, etc.

Kanye West is the best of this generation, idc what anyone says he is the definition of hip-hop right now. Kid Cudi is good too, but only because he's like Kanye's less talented little brother.

Other favourites include Curren$y, OutKast, MF Doom, De La Soul, Immortal Technique, Cee-Lo Green, A Tribe Called Quest, Aesop Rock, Kno, Biggie Smalls and probably more I am forgetting. Some nice examples to show that hip-hop is not all about "drugs and sex" which is now quite a common belief.

Anyone who has not yet listened to Kanye's most recent album needs to go and do it right now.

I think I liked Kanye WAY more during the time that he wrote "Gone". And Outkast A Tribe Called Quest and De La Sol are great. So is Biggie... But he seems to be a bit overrated because he died so early. Hypnotize and Juicy are probably his best songs.

I also listen to Wu- Tang Clan and Diggable Planets... Or Common, Ressurection is just... The Best.

Back